Jackal carcasses found in Addo

Information & Discussions on Addo Elephant National Park
PJL

Re: Jackal carcasses found in Addo

Post by PJL »

PRWIN wrote:will we ever hear the truth from SP.????? 0: 0: 0:
I think in this case we probably will PRWIN... at least I hope so. The park has been generally very transparent when it comes to information, and I know a number of guides/rangers so I'm sure the truth will come out one way or another.

If it was poison pellets I wonder how it would affect other animals. Perhaps it's the type of thing which is tasty to scavengers like jackal/crows etc, but possibly not a problem for herbivores -O-
If it is in the area around Rooidam I worry for the hyena population as they have dens in that area.

The other obvious question if it is pellets is how they got in the park... did someone do it deliberately, or would perhaps a farm vehicle where they had been used have some leftovers caught up in the vehicle which somehow dropped out there -O-

Lots of questions.... but very sad so far :-(

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

In any case it is deplorable and scary :-(

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
PJL

Post by PJL »

The latest I've heard is that the number of jackal has risen to 30 along with 2 crows. Samples have been sent away for testing and the results should be back next week.

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Thanks for the update \O

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

So sad! :-(

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

There is only to hope that this mass murder was not done deliberately :-?

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
nan

Post by nan »

30 :no:

:ty: for the news

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
PJL

Post by PJL »

Lisbeth wrote:There is only to hope that this mass murder was not done deliberately :-?
Agreed Lis, but everything that I have heard so far via 'unofficial' information is that it was some kind of poison O/ O/
I have even heard a suggestion that the park is getting in touch with visitors from the day(s) in question and checking number plates etc to try and get as much information as they can - photographic and/or video evidence etc. But they haven't asked me yet, and I think I was there the day that this must have taken place :-(

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Why would anybody do a thing like that? Is it possible for the jackals to trespass? If yes, do they?

PJL

Post by PJL »

I would imagine that it might be possible for them to sneak out of the fenced areas, but even if they did there area very few livestock farms that border the park. :O^

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I'm hoping that it might have been an accident. Perhaps some farm vehicle was visiting the park and had some poison pellets caught up in the load bin or chassis somewhere which on starting the engine fell out -O- -O-

From what I've heard the majority were in the area around Rooidam which would coincide with the lion sighting there on that day. If someone was deliberately doing this then I would expect carcasses being discovered all over the park. Anyway, let's wait for the tissue sample results first and see what happens from there. \O

Return to “Addo Elephant National Park”