Addo 2019

Information & Discussions on Addo Elephant National Park
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Addo 2019

Post by Mel »

WOW, Addo keeps delivering for you, hey!? Awesome sighting of the 5 BEF youngsters, the lions, the brownie and, and, and :-0

Love those mice / rats too. Cute ones :-)

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
PJL

Post by PJL »

Flutterby wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:03 am I didn't know spekboom flowered....I just planted some in our garden! O/\
We've seen them flower before but this was by far the most colourful we've ever seen :shock: O\/
Just a week later and it wasn't really anything much to talk about O** O**

PJL

Post by PJL »

A week later and we plotted another visit to the park \O

We took Mbotyi loop in the vain hope of finding caracal, and then swung up the southern access road past Peasland where a jackal was trotting along O:V

A little further along a Denhams Bustard was close to the road

Just before the southern turn off to Harveys there was quite a bit of action as Josie, Dawn & Duffy had a kudu kill quite far off on the hillside

There were plenty of jackal running around as well as a number of hyena waiting for their share of the spoils O/\

It was a fun sighting despite the distance. The hyena didn't dare get too close to the lions, yet the jackals had managed to find a section of innards fairly close to the lions that they seemed happy to share! As the lions weren't really doing much we figured we would check out the bat-eared fox den back on Vukani and then come back.

Along the southern access road there was an elephant strolling along ^Q^

Back round at Peasland a hyena had been having a quick drink and was hurrying back towards the kill site O\/

On Vukani the bat-eared foxes were sleeping with their dad keeping a close eye on surroundings. The distant calls of hyena and jackals not surprisingly seemed to have him on edge

The trip between the foxes and lions continued to be productive with a huge eland bull :shock:

Back at the lions they were fairly flat but Josie got up for a bit of a wander at one point resulting in a minor stand-off with the hyena :-)

We watched a while longer, but the sighting was getting rather busy so we thought it would be good to continue on. We checked out the Arizona area in case the boys were still in that area but there were no sign of cats... just bum shots 0*\ lol

From that point there wasn't too much to report until we reached Spekboom where elephants were hogging the waterhole

Some zebra were waiting patiently for the chance of a drink

It wasn't long before a young elephant decided the zebra were a perfect target for chasing O** O**

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

WoW so many notable sightings, PJL, O/\

Your shots are as Always Incredible :-0 - Very hard to choose a favourite this time :ty:

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Like Pumbaa says! ^Q^ ^Q^

Amazing how dry it is Peej! :shock:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Your fabulous sightings luck seems to never end, wherever you go :shock: :shock:

A big boy eland :shock:

I did not even know that there were bat-eared foxes in Addo until you showed us 0*\

Quite an assembly at the lion kill. There also seem to be raptors on the waiting list ;-)

Funny bums shot lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Nice sighting of the bustard. \O And lots of game all round! ^Q^

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Why do lions always seem to rest in the smallest shade they can find lol

Superb bustard sighting :-0

And of course the rest of the day wasn't shabby either, even though there was no caracal available :-0

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Alf

Post by Alf »

You always have amazing luck

^Q^

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
PJL

Post by PJL »

Whilst watching the ellies & zebra at Spekboom a big chap arrived and took over the waterhole O:V

Eventually one of the zebra braved a quick drink when the ellies weren't watching 0'

We continued along round to Hapoor where there were plenty of elephant milling around. This one seemed to have noticed a familiar scent on the opposite side of the dam

Little ones were doing their best to copy the adults but also not fall in!!

We always enjoy watching families arrive at Hapoor. Once within about 200m of the water their pace quickens and then it's an all-out race to the water lol

This young tyke looked very naughty ;-)

As the herds moved around one extremely small baby came right past us. I can only think it would have been days old O\/

The day was heating up so inevitably some decided it was time to go for a dip lol

Return to “Addo Elephant National Park”