Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Two KwaZulu-Natal field rangers missing

Post by Mel »

http://www.thenewage.co.za/55095-1008-5 ... _in_deaths

Jul 3 2012 9:01AM

Illegal fishing syndicate suspected in deaths

Chris Makhaye

The department of agriculture suspects that the two rangers who apparently drowned last week may have been ambushed by members of an illegal fishing syndicate which operates in Lake Nhlabane.

The bodies of rangers Mbazwani Mhlongo, 57, and Phumlani Mthembu, 34, were found not far from where they had gone missing at Lake Nhlabane in the Enseleni Nature Reserve two weeks ago. They were laid to rest in Mkhuze and KwaNgwanase on Saturday and Sunday respectively.

They were part of a four-man patrol who had found four gill nets and a canoe at the reserve, which they decided to confiscate. Mhlongo and Mthembu decided to paddle the canoe to their camp and that is when they went missing.

Meshack Radebe, MEC for agriculture and environmental affairs told mourners at Mthembu’s funeral in KwaNgwanase yesterday that his department would not rest until those responsible for the death of the duo were put behind bars.

“Illegal fishing syndicates are on the increase. I know that people in Nseleni and Richards Bay know about the activities of these syndicate that were responsible for the deaths of Mhlongo and Mthembu. We are very suspicious that these two rangers could have been lured into a trap or ambushed.

“But I will assure you that we will not rest until the culprits are caught and put behind bars,” he said.

Radebe hailed the rangers as “heroes who died in the line of duty”.

“These rangers were dedicated in their duty. We are living in difficult and trying times where some people are lazy.

“Others collude with criminal elements who are involved in illegal poaching. At the moment we are facing a big challenge of criminal syndicates who are killing our rhinos.

“There would come a time when the entire rhino population would be wiped out because of these illegal activities. Our children would only read about rhinos in books and would only see them in pictures,” he said.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Poplap

Re: Two KwaZulu-Natal field rangers missing

Post by Poplap »

It remains such a tragedy. :-( :-(

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Ezemvelo KZN Management Issues”