Re: Lions On The Loose

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: 14 Lions escape from KNP near Phalaborwa

Post by Richprins »

The lions normally go back eventually, if it is not a young lion male kicked out! :-0

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Fourteen are a lot :shock:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Family holiday! O**

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Ralph Sibande
23 mins
THE PHALABORWA EXPEDITION.

Dear Wanda

We did it! We have achieved the impossible!

Between Dikeledi and myself, we finally managed to convince the lazy boys and the rest of the clan that it was in our best interest to move on and find a better place - more land for our growing and demanding clan.

So we have relocated fourteen lion souls to the New Promised Land. In lion terms it is by no means a small feat, as you know better than I, how lazy and indolent and hard of hearing a lion pride can be. It took all the convincing we could put together to make them see the light of day in our scheme.

Quite frankly the zebra sweat, and Magaliesberg rattlepod bushes were proving too much of an irritant for the young kids. They deserved to see more of the world than the mopane and cork bush shrublands. They needed to see and feel the lure and whispers of the open grasslands; and the thrill of chasing after a warthog in a no holds barred open country.

You may be wondering how we finally got it right. Well, it wasn't easy but when we mentioned the happy hunting grounds, the inviting shades of thorn trees and streams of sweet water, we had the guys drooling with envy. And in no time they were eating out of the palm of our hands. All we had go do was to tell them when the great safari would start.

So on a bright Wednesday morning, we started on our epic journey. The kids loved it, and we had to explain to them every bit bushveld curiosity that we came across on the way. The guys were a bit excited too, but if I said that they showed it, I would be telling an untruth, but Seb, our young hero with a budding mane, was really taken up by the sheer presence of big leadwood, mopane and apple leaf trees. He hasn't seen such a glorious sight all his life.

What we thought would be a difficult and strenuous hike turned out to be a stroll in the park, no pun intended 😁. We caught three warthogs on the way, and the meal proved to be more than just a boon for an empty stomach, but went a long way to stroke hurt egos, and give the whole journey a carnival mood of feasting and celebrating. We arrived at the area around Fosfor mine in the early afternoon.

Fosfor mine exceeded our wildest dreams. We readily fell in love with its grey-white dunes and rocky outcrops. We intend taking the kids on mountain climbing very soon but we have to be just extra careful of rock pythons. They seem to have already staked their claims on the rock outcrops and may mistake the frolicking kids for a free meal.

On Thursday midday we came upon a herd of large docile bovines. They look almost like buffaloes except for their apparent lack of fighting spirit, non existent strength and frightfully slow speed. We tried to warn everyone about the consequences of thinking they are on the menu.

But old lazy Joe, of all male lions in our pride, ignored our advice, and managed to bring down one of these docile creatures all by himself. He sat down to a hearty meal next to the road, but we did not join him. Experience has taught us that discretion is the better part of valour, and you know, of course, how testy and touchy humans can be about their prized bovines. I personally prefer to catch and eat something that can challenge me in every respect. I honestly find them too timid for my liking.

We are still scouting out the area, and the boys are busy marking the outposts with their scent. It's a bit needless to do because we could see no other lions for miles around. But the kids absolutely love it here. I remember my late mother's adage: as long as there knobthorn trees, lions will never fail to be around. Its knob thorn country.

I think I like it here, too. I love the freedom and the open spaces. I think it will be good for the kids because it will help grow up their courage. And they shall become real lions.

We are pioneers, you know. We love breaking new ground, facing insurmountable odds and just to find a nice cool shade to lie under to sleep and dream about it all.

We are dreamers, Wanda, and who could begrudge us that? I think the world is created by dreamers and those who love travelling. Can one sustain love without dreams? You tell me Wanda, I shall be waiting anxiously for you reply.

Love you Sis
And kisses and hugs to all the lazy clan back home

Luzaan
Now of Phalaborwa.

PS. I love it here. I really do. 😁

Copyrights: story Ralph Sibande and photo Lazarus Mashaba

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

\O Ralph!

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Nice! lol lol \O

To my experience mines are not that nice though O**

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

BREAKING NEWS: LION SPOTTED AT FOSKOR MINE IN PHALABORWA THIS MORNING.

This male lion is presumably one of the group of lions reported to have escaped from the Kruger National Park.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

:shock:

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Return to “Lions and Other Endangered Animals Management and Poaching”