Post by Sharifa »

Go well Twigga ad enjoy

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ O/\ O/\ O/\ O/\ 0()

Twigga

Re: Shingwedzi Rest Camp

Post by Twigga »

0/* Greenville

Back from 3 days in Shingwedzi that went by too fast

About 6 cars greeted us at the reception parking area, I got that ghost town feeling, (not that I’m complaining) A huge difference of the busy crowded feeling I got at my last visit in 2010, amidst the soccer world cup chaos

Walking into reception the smell of fresh paint and varnish on the wooden counter tops overwhelms you, and you are greeted with huge smiles. And you just get that warm feeling in your heart that these staff members are so proud of what they have accomplished so far getting the camp up & running

Walking around around in camp you get this eerie feeling of the drama that unfolded a few months prior. Only the few piles of debris in camp & on the trees a grim reminder. We stayed in the B circle bungalows, all newly furnished and redone, fabulous! A few units still under construction.

You can’t get any access to the restaurant area that is still marked of, but as I far as I understand is expected to be up and running very soon.
We had a sneek peek at the A circle that white bungalows that is still under heavy construction, and the swimming pool. The campsite is up & running, quite busy as it is still school holidays here in SA

You can clearly see the floodlevel under the aircon

Shing2 by twigga2011, on Flickr

What is left of a dustbin

Shing1 by twigga2011, on Flickr

The swimming pool gate

Shing4 by twigga2011, on Flickr

What is left of the swimming pool
No alcohol, diving, littering & no swimming :shock:

Shing 3 by twigga2011, on Flickr

I had a conversation with one of the staff ladies that had to climb through the roof of her house. She told me although she is extremely sad that she lost most of her possesions she is extremely grateful that they made it out alive, I could see the tears building up in her eyes and we also had to look the other way

We couldn't get access to crooks corner, that road still under construction. It's such a shock to see trees fell that stood there propably for hundreds of years, the landscape changed dramatically

So with that said I can only express A HUGE thank you and gratitude for everybody that's part of this process to get this camp up & running. I now have seen the destruction with my own eyes and there is still a long way ahead. And I'm so sorry for condemning Sanparks for always complaining about this road and that road not being repaired quicker etc.

I salute you O0 O0 \O \O O0 O0

More pics to follow ;-) ;-)

Somewhere in Kruger
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

That's great to hear Twigga!! \O \O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Thanks very much, Twigga! O0

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

From SANParks:

All visitors to ‎Shingwedzi Rest Camp‬, PLEASE NOTE: The ‪‎Shingwedzi‬ Shop will only open on the 15th of September 2013. In the meantime a small tuck shop is being run in the office joining the reception.

-The Shingwedzi Restaurant is likely to only reopen on the 1st of October 2013.
-The swimming pool will be operational as from the 15th of September 2013.
-The Rentmeester Guest House will reopen on the 1st of September 2013.
-The birdhide near the Kanniedood Dam remains closed.
-The A-Circle accommodation will reopen on the 14th of September 2013.

View the list of items stocked by the tuck shop on this link: http://www.sanparks.org/assets/docs/par ... -stock.pdf

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

That's awesome Twigga ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

EH3, B Circle, Unit No: 58

3 single beds, basin, communal ablutions, communal kitchen, fan, fridge, no utensils

We were very impressed with these units compared to the EH3 units in Lower Sabie and Pretoriuskop. We had a proper verhandah and the ablutions and kitchen were very close. They do have a problem with monkeys in the camp, but we didn't see any baboons. On the deck, the monkeys sit in the rafters watching the diners below - a man sitting next to us was wee'd on! :O^ But the security guards arrived quickly with their pellet guns and the monkeys disappeared quickly enough.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Looks like quite a lot survived the floods! \O

Interesting the white-legged braai! :-0

Thanks, Flutts! O0

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
nan

Post by nan »

... Monkeys survived 0*\ :-0

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

RP, funny you mentioned the braai. All the braais had 2 black legs and one silver leg...not sure what that's about! -O-

Return to “Camps of Kruger”