Berg-en-Dal Rest Camp

Information & Discussion on the Camps of Kruger
Flutterby

Leopard shot in Berg-en-Dal

Post by Flutterby »

A leopard was apparently shot in Berg-en-Dal camp yesterday. It chased some workers at the petrol station who threw buckets at it and it disappeared into the bush. It then attacked the camp manager's dog and was then shot. -O-

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vreesloo ... fref=photo

PennyinSA

Re: Leopard shot in Berg-en-Dal

Post by PennyinSA »

Why does the camp manager have a dog?? I was given to understand that no domestic pets were allowed in the Kruger National Park. They did not even allow exotic plants in staff villages and fruit trees that were decades old were all removed!!! I wonder if an official statement will be issued by Sanparks and whether due consideration could not have been given to dart the leopard and move it elsewhere?

Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Saw this on one of the SANParks pages. There was a difference of opinion though - the leopard did not chase the dogs - the camp manager took the dogs in the morning and went looking for the leopard. He found it at the fuel station and then shot it 0*\

Wonder which version is actually real -O-

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

I think rangers and/or camp managers have always had dogs in Kruger. -O-

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

I don't think that dogs are a problem in the Park, Wild Dogs do not produce offspring when mated with domesticated Dogs. I do believe that any pets have to be sterilised before they can live in the park.

The big problem is domesticated cats mating with AWCs and Blackfooted Cats (if such an animal exists).

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
nan

Post by nan »

oups... a lot of rifles everywhere :-(
BluTuna wrote: Blackfooted Cats (if such an animal exists).
I saw one... in Kenya, but don't have a photo, I had a so tiny camera at this first trip... even Lions seems to be flies =O:

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Rangers are allowed dogs, obviously...not sure about other staff? :-?

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
PennyinSA

Post by PennyinSA »

Well given that a pack of free ranging feral hunting dogs has recently been tracked down in Kruger and destroyed I think its relevant. Unless dogs are anti-poaching dogs and are in separate accommodation I find it strange that domestic animals should be allowed in KNP. After all if a tourist may not bring a domestic pet into the Park why should a camp manager keep pets? Just my personal opinion. I happen to watch a camera on a private game reserve and often hear barking dogs - I personally could not think of anything worse than going on holiday to the bush and then having to listen to a dog's incessant barking.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

PennyinSA wrote:I personally could not think of anything worse than going on holiday to the bush and then having to listen to a dog's incessant barking.
Couldn't agree more!

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
PJL

Post by PJL »

Here's a follow-up on the incident via the SANParks FB page:

Dear All;
We hereby make a follow-up on the leopard issue and thank you for giving us a chance to respond. We regret the killing of any animals in the park however the potential injury risk to guests or staff sometimes necessitate harsh action. Each case is treated on merit taking all possible factors into account.
The report regarding the leopard at Berg en Dal is as follows:
* There was a male juvenile leopard, roaming around the camp recently. It nearly grabbed one of the housekeeping staff who was passing-by the camping site unaware on Monday, 25 August 2014. To save his own life, he flung the bucket he was carrying towards the animal and it vanished into the bush. The following day, it was spotted on various occasions on an ambush, again inside the camp.
* While the rangers were on guard, the leopard jumped from the thick bushes near the filling station and unfortunately they had to take the opportunity and put down the animal to save people’s lives. The rangers had to make a judgment and their decision was taken as the most practical option as the leopard had an injury and completely changed its behaviour. At one point it charged at one of the them and grabbed one of their tracking dogs.
* The danger was heavily increasing as the leopard could jump into the campsite full of guests and they did not want to take any chances with human life. Previous incidents in the park where leopards have attacked people within rest camps have highlighted the importance to take quick and decisive action to prevent a similar situation from repeating. Entering the area on foot was the only option which made darting absolutely impossible due to the very high risk factor.
* Leopards are highly territorial and have a tendency to come back to their favourite hunts. Any wild animal which also roams around in human habitats with people milling around is bound to be dangerous and it is simply not worth taking the risk of someone getting injured or killed. A child and wife of staff members have in the past been killed in separate incidents in the Staff Village. Two of our Section Rangers have also been bitten and seriously injured in the past when trying to chase leopards out of the camp; management was not keen on taking the risk with capturing it.
Hope this clarifies,

Return to “Camps of Kruger”