Berg-en-Dal Rest Camp

Information & Discussion on the Camps of Kruger
Bushcraft

Re: Berg-en-Dal Rest Camp

Post by Bushcraft »

Polentswa, a leopard is my favourite animal and I would explore every possible means of getting it out of camp first, but I also have small kids and unfortunately I care more about them naturally.

We visit Mpila camp in Imfolozi fairly often and it doesn’t have a fence. Last year a leopard walked through camp in the early morning next to unit 15 without incident, however a few years ago a man was attacked in the middle of the day there while cooking a potjie. He survived but sustained some serious injuries. Admittedly this was a sick old leopard, however kids are always a concern. My kids have learnt how to behave in a game reserve and what to do and what not to do, but the vast majority of parents and therefore by default their kids, are clueless.

Polentswa

Post by Polentswa »

Alf wrote:Well that same afternoon we walked along the trail and actually looked at all the overhanging trees and said this should be easy for a leopard to get into camp... 0*\
Those Kruger fences don't keep leopards out at all..My sons when they were teenagers on a Very hot summers night decided to sneak quietly to the pool at Shingwedzi to quietly slip into the darkened pool to cool off as we were literally frying in our tent. Their torches picked up a lovely leopard drinking out the pool at 1 am O\/ At Sirheni we had leopard spoor all around our unit no 7 one morning ..Mrs Spots had been sniffing around during the night ..Gate closed ..makes no difference as she sometimes sleeps un noticed in the wild area between the gate and the huts I am told...just accept they are part of the scene in Kruger in camps like hornbills etc
Last edited by Polentswa on Wed May 27, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mabuasehube and Caprivi are calling
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

:shock: :shock: That must have been awesome O\/ O\/

The fences definitely don’t keep leopards out, especially at LS behind Keartland guest house (don’t ask how I know O** ) , but they do act as a restriction and allow a sense of security to those who believe it makes them safe ;-)

Polentswa

Post by Polentswa »

Bushcraft wrote::shock: :shock: That must have been awesome O\/ O\/

The fences definitely don’t keep leopards out, especially at LS behind Keartland guest house (don’t ask how I know O** ) , but they do act as a restriction and allow a sense of security to those who believe it makes them safe ;-)
BC this could be your Keartland cat ..coming through the main gate at Lower Sabie at 3 pm in the afternoon :-0

Last edited by Polentswa on Wed May 27, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polentswa

Post by Polentswa »

Alf wrote:I see we were reading the same book RP

Leopards are opportunists and they get into a routine, so any human following any routine are in trouble if entering leopard country
Leopards in 99.9999999% of the time will just slink away and will not engage humans ..they live amongst humans ..just that most humans don't know that
Last edited by Polentswa on Wed May 27, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harrys

Post by harrys »

:shock: O-/ Thanks for that info....i mean I will only be camping in my tent at LS in 3 weeks time O-/

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??
Polentswa

Post by Polentswa »

harrys wrote::shock: O-/ Thanks for that info....i mean I will only be camping in my tent at LS in 3 weeks time O-/
LOL Harry ..apparently this Lower Sabie fence breach through the gate ..the cat went straight through the bush towards the busy day centre and camping site ..Everyone was blissfully unaware and saw Niks :-) Take a Porta Potti for the tent :-0

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Not so sure about that pic, Peter...but there was a confirmed sighting of a leppie sitting on the gate post of Berg&Dal early one morning...they do move about in the camps, obviously. The question is should they be shot or not, so a bit off two topics here! ^0^

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Polentswa

Post by Polentswa »

Richprins wrote:Not so sure about that pic, Peter...but there was a confirmed sighting of a leppie sitting on the gate post of Berg&Dal early one morning...they do move about in the camps, obviously. The question is should they be shot or not, so a bit off two topics here! ^0^
lol I would have loved to have seen the B N Dal cat on the gate post considering how many mornings I spent on my own mostly waiting for gate opening..I remember the last time they caught the original B N dal leopard and that time they took her north of the Olifants River instead of adjacent Wolhuter Trail Wilderness area where she was back in a week at most..The next night a huge Tom barked up the hill as we were alone washing supper dishes at the bottom camping and the top was empty too..So how many walk around is anyones guess..We were actually saying how sad it was that the leopard was finally gone ..Next night this loud close by rasp session in camp ..Jane and I gave a high 5 as a cat had come to visit probably to find his missing chick. The female often left dewy sandy tracks on the tiles in the ladies ablutions below camping level . Probably came in at 3am to admire herself in the mirror . If you want to read a good personal story of the original BNdal leopard get the 2nd edition Getaway mag (I think Feb 1986??) where I wrote in the letter column about me and my 3-4 yr son sleeping down below in a small pup tent with just the thin transparent mozzie liner zipped up to let whatever breeze through..I woke up with the tent moving and looked down at my feet area and the 100 m distant female loo lights illuminated a huge shadow head at my feet end with long silhouette whiskers nose inquisitevly pressed against the netting ..probably investigating my snoring :-0 ..I let out a loud 'Wah' shout and she was gone but woke my son with my shout ..who then asked what was going on I said it was nothing and then he asked to go to the loo and I told him to wait till dawn..The next day his sleeping bag was hung over the fence to dry ..poor little chap ..But I love the fact that they are in camp and have been used to it all my life having grown up 13 kms north of Skukuza in Sabi Sands where they were always removing Impala carcasses hanging from trees shot the previous day for rations after arriving for a 2 week stay on my aunts non commercial farm

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Good memories Peter! \O

Return to “Camps of Kruger”