Tsendze Rustic Camp

Information & Discussion on the Camps of Kruger
Toko

Tsendze Rustic Camp

Post by Toko »

What is interesting to see in the vicinity of Tsendze Rustic Camp?

This is a short overview of AW Flavours of the Month in the Tsendze Rustic Camp area:

Mooiplaas Windmill S49
H14 https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=263&t=4182
H1-6 (Letaba - Mopani) https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=263&t=4511
Makhadzi, H15 and Giriyondo https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=263&t=5124

Poplap

Tsendze Rustic Camp

Post by Poplap »

A rustic camp... ideal for camping (as only camping is allowed) :wink:

Camping spot

Camp Kitchen

Ablutions

Open air shower

Nightly visitors (daily too!)

Beware! Hitch-hikers in camp!

Visitors that will prevent you from leaving the camp...

serval

Re: Tsendze Rustic Camp

Post by serval »

The nearest shop is at Mopani , solar lighting in ablutions & scullery , no paving , no security lighting or electricity outlets . With the natural vegetation separating most of the campsites this is the most natural tourist camp in the KNP.

Poplap

Post by Poplap »

Click here for Go!'s dynamic map of this camp: http://www.gomag.co.za/kruger/camps/camp_tsendze.html

Poplap

Post by Poplap »

Inside of the ablutions...

The fence

And a dynamic map from Go!: http://www.gomag.co.za/kruger/camps/camp_tsendze.html

lowveldboy

Post by lowveldboy »

Tsendze is really an awesome camp. People fortunate to be able to go out of season can look forward to real peace and quiet. I have spent 12 nights in Tsendze over the past 4 months, and of those 12 - 4 was spent completely alone nobody else. That is what's called heaven. The camp set-up with all the natural vegetation does make you feel part of the Bush. Poplap did post a picture of the nightly visitor(s). Being so quiet, you can hear them coming for miles! Do ask Rodger (a really awesome guy) to tell about the times they actually enter the camp.

At night - be on the lookout for scorpions and Red Romans - the interaction between them is something to behold. Go for a walk around the camp during the day and you might spot the Scops owl sleeping in a tree.

The surroundings is thick mopane shrub, which can make game viewing difficult, but also very rewarding!! Be on the look out for the ever elusive and threatened Roan. The tropic of Capricorn loop and the Thiyongonyeni waterhole offers you the best chance of spotting them, together with a small group of Eland in the area. Tsetsebe and plains game is always present. The big 5 is around, you will almost certainly make the acquaintance of a potential tusker somewhere around. Lion and Rhino can be tough to spot, but leopard is often seen on the opposite bank from the Mooiplaas picnic spot. Cheetah also do occur in the area.

Birders will find Tsendze a real treat. Wood hoepoes nest in the camp, and also listen for the call of the Jacobins and African striped cuckoos as well. From Tsendze north you will find some real great ticks for your lifer list. Scan all the baobabs for Bohms and Mottled spinetail. Dickinson’s kestrel can be found from here on north. Make sure of all the oxpeckers as the yellowbilled oxpeckers occurs in increasing frequency as you head north. Regulars also include ostrich, Black bellied bustard, Kori bustard and Red crested korhaan.

In short - something for everyone.

Poplap

Post by Poplap »

What an apt description, LVB! I couldn't have done it better myself! And that means something!

Cheetah, yes, indeed, at Tihongonyeni and Mooiplaas Waterhole, and we've seen lots of actual tuskers (not only emerging) in this area too. And Roan. And Eland. And Tsessebe.

To have Tsendze all to ourselves - that will be pure bliss! Sigh.

Poplap

Post by Poplap »

Click here for an interactive map of the Tsendze area...

http://www.gomag.co.za/kruger/game_view ... opani.html

Great stuff!

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Seeing that little girl looking at the Ellie at the gate made me laugh:

Incident 1: Imagine an arrogant elderly couple with a BIG Cruiser 200 towing a long Jurgens Exclusive 4 wheel Caravan arriving 'To have a look at the camp without permission from Mopani camp because they don’t have to' 2 male lions were sitting in the shade of a little bush on the left side of the little girl and on the driver’s side of an approaching car RIGHT at the gate...you all know that bush...scraggly small bush. Anyway Husband driving tells his pompous wife to get out and open the gate so he can drive this long rig through (Mid Morning and quiet) He would drive 40 metres in to get it all in while she would close the gate and walk back to get in and drive on. She got out and they both hadn’t seen the lion concentrating reading the signage instead. She opened the gate and hubby drove in as arranged and as she was about to close the gate she was all exposed and looked straight into the eyes of 2 of the Eendrag male lions no more than 3-4 metres away..Don’t remember how it ended but Roger was eventually involved!!

Incident 2: I went out an hour after gate opening that particular day as I was exhausted getting up early for a week. I drove to the confluence and realised all my Computer cards were in camp up the road.So back I came and to my surprise there was a tatty old lion sitting on the passenger side pavement of the road 5 metres from the gate..I stopped ...took ta couple of pics of him as I leaned over through the passenger window and finished the now full card. I waited 10 minutes and he just sat there..I had the car asa barrier and he looked calm so got out with engine off so I could hear everything. Camp was very quiet and empty..Kept my eyes on the totally uninterested lion that was facing away looking at the corner. I opened the gate watching kitty all the time..got back in started and drove in and gingerly walked back to close..He wasn’t interested and only the rattling of the chain caused him to give me a casual glance..I drove to 26 and told Jane and showed her the pic (Below) and had a cup of tea to calm down and 10 mins later went out with her to show her the lion but he was gone sadly

Tent dweller

Post by Tent dweller »

Off to Tsendze tomorrow 01 July O\/ O\/

Return to “Camps of Kruger”