Private Kruger camp closed after fire

Information & Discussion on the Camps of Kruger
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Private Kruger camp closed after fire

Post by Lisbeth »

Camp Shawu, on the Mpanamana Concession, Crocodile Bridge in the Kruger National Park is closed for repairs after a fire broke out in the early hours of Monday morning.

Chris Pollard, General Manager of Camp Shawu, said while there had been no injuries, the camp's kitchen and dining area had burned down.

Guests have since been moved to the group's other facilities, Shishangeni Lodge and Camp Shonga.

“The staff we very professional and all standard procedures worked well,” said Pollard.

The camp, named after one the famous magnificent seven Big Tuskers, is set across 15 000 hectare private concession under the Kruger National Park.

An investigation is under way to determine what caused the fire but Pollard said they "suspect it was caused by an electrical fault". Pollard could not confirm how long the camp would be closed for.

"While we are closed, we don't foresee any problems with accommodating people - we've contacted our guests and most people are understanding.

"People are still keen to come and I would highly recommend it as the wildlife viewing is some of the best I seen in the world. Driving to the fire yesterday morning, along from Shishangeni Lodge I saw two lion, five buffalo and two porcupines."

Pollard, owner Newco Hospitality, has only been with the lodge a month, having previously worked at establishments in Uganda, Rwanda and Kenya.

http://traveller24.news24.com/News/krug ... e-20160419

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “Camps of Kruger”