Toko

Worker killed by Lion in Masinda section of iMfolozi

Post by Toko »

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/ ... ss-1985193

Slain ranger tried to fight lioness
NEWS/SOUTH-AFRICA/KWAZULU-NATAL /
16 February 2016 at 12:36pm
By: Tony Carnie
Durban - The Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife father of two who was attacked and killed by a lioness in the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi game reserve on Monday put up an enormous struggle before being overcome by the starving and sick predator.

The 45-year-old water attendant, whose name has not been released yet, had been walking through the bush with a colleague – both of them unarmed – to start pumping water to a nearby tourist lodge and staff accommodation camp.

It is understood that a sick lioness, weakened by tuberculosis and unable to hunt its usual prey, pounced on him and killed him at about 7.30am. He had an early morning routine that involved firing up a diesel generator next to the Mfolozi River to pump water to camps in the Mfolozi section of the park, close to the Masinda tourist lodge and staff quarters.

He was accompanied by a colleague who was learning how to take over the responsibilities of the victim, who was due to go on leave soon.

Sources said the colleague fled after the lioness attacked the water attendant, and rushed back to summon help, but it was too late.

“I’m told he put up a hell of a fight – but a man is no match for a fully grown lioness, even if it is sick,” said a wildlife official.

Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife spokesman Musa Mntambo said by the time colleagues reached his side, the water attendant was severely injured and died soon afterwards.

The lioness was tracked down and shot dead close to the scene.

Mntambo said the victim had worked in the park for nearly 16 years as a water attendant.

Ezemvelo said it would assist family members with his funeral and was also making arrangements for trauma counselling for them and the staff member.

Ezemvelo chief executive David Mabunda said it was not normal for a lioness to attack a human being unless it was protecting young cubs, was sick, or unable to hunt. Park management plans specified that sick lions should be destroyed.

There are thought to be about 120 lions living in the 96 000ha park.

The attack has also raised questions about Ezemvelo’s efforts to control bovine tuberculosis, a disease that can be transmitted to lions that feed on affected buffalo.

The Mercury

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Worker killed by Lion in Masinda section of iMfolozi

Post by Richprins »

RIP to this man! :-(

One would need a fuller report before drawing conclusions regarding TB...a sick/old predator is just that!

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

What a tragic incident!

Makes me fear for the KTP attendants in the wilderness who have to walk to their water pumps as well,
some of them quite far off from the main camp and with lots of vegetation to hide in along the way.

Condolences to the attendant's family. :-(

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
General Gump

Post by General Gump »

Eish !

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Very sad! :-(

But why do they not carry firearms? :-?

Toko

Post by Toko »

Lion's deteriorating health conditions detailed after attack
Published: Feb. 17, 2016, 6:36 p.m. by Khatija Nxedlana - Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife says regular checks are conducted to detect tuberculosis in animals at game parks.
SHARE ON

Lion
Gallo Images
RELATED STORIES
WATCH: Leopard attack leaves five injured
Worker killed by a lioness in Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park
Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park manager speaks out about lion attack
The comment comes as officials say a lioness that attacked and killed employee Vusimuzi Kubeka at the Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park on Monday tested positive for a strain of TB known as Bovine Tuberculosis.

Ezemvelo CEO David Mabunda says they believe the lion contracted the disease from buffalo.

Mabunda says while they've tried to contain the disease, there are pockets of it around the country.

"This lion was found to be TB positive and even its lung structure had discolouring. Secondly, one of its hind legs was broken which meant that it couldn't hunt. It also meant that it was left behind all the time. Humans then become easy targets," he said.

Mabunda visited Kubeka's family today in Ezimambeni.

https://www.ecr.co.za/news-sport/news/l ... er-attack/

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Flutterby wrote: But why do they not carry firearms? :-?

It is a normal routine around many lodges/camps/stations in parks, Flutts...a good question?

Asked about it at the old TEBA, for example, but the guy who did the twice-daily trip said it was unnecessary, so there we are? -O-

It is just bad luck, I think. :-(

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Flutterby wrote: But why do they not carry firearms? :-?
Might not make a difference... And I'm not trying to belittle the attendants, I just think that they
just cannot be trained in all areas. 0:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Toko

Post by Toko »

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/ ... an-1986615

Drought drove lion to kill Ezemvelo man

18 February 2016 at 17:47pm
By: NOSIPHO MNGOMA

Durban - The Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife employee killed by a lion this week was a casualty of the drought gripping the province.

A post-mortem revealed that the lion had been so weakened by thirst, injury and illness that it was on the hunt for easy prey.

Vusi Kubeka, 49, died after an attack at the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Game Park on Monday just metres from where he was stationed.

He and a colleague had gone out to start the engine of a pump feeding a purification plant supplying water to guests at the park’s camps, when he was attacked.

Kwazulu-Natal MEC for Economic Development, Tourism and Environmental Affairs Mike Mabuyakhulu said trenches for water access had been dug in the area, which had attracted the thirsty lion.

The park is among the most severely drought-stricken parts of the province.

Coupled with this, the lion was ill.

Ezemvelo chief executive, Dr David Mabunda, said a post-mortem had revealed that the lion had bovine tuberculosis.

It was also found that one of its hind legs was broken and a front leg fractured, making the lion lag far behind the pride and unable to hunt agile prey, said Mabunda.

“Predators like lions survive on their ability to hunt. If anything destabilises that, like illness or injury, humans can become easy targets.”

Mabuyakhulu said Kubeka’s death was not only a loss to his family, but to the Ezemvelo family. The MEC, Mabunda and Ezemvelo staff had gathered at their late colleague’s home in Ezimambeni, Mfolozi.

Mabuyakhulu said it was the first such incident in almost 40 years, but they would take precautions to ensure the safety of the staff and tourists.

Mabunda said like other conservation areas with dangerous animals around the world, they had standard operating procedures such as having armed personnel nearby.

“That is why there was a response within minutes and the lion was destroyed. But nothing is foolproof. This freak accident has prompted us to go back to the drawing board, check the procedure and close any gaps if there are any and up our game to find ways to ensure the safety and security of people.”

As a gesture of goodwill, Mabunda had offered to employ a member of the Kubeka family so as not to “interrupt the income stream” Kubeka – who had worked at Ezemvelo for 16 years – had provided.

He said Kubeka’s work partner was in hospital receiving therapy for the trauma he had suffered at witnessing the gruesome death of his colleague.

Kubeka’s father, Dingeni, 78, said he had been deeply disturbed by the sight of his son’s lifeless body next to that of the lion.

“I have no words for what I saw, that picture of my child will not leave my head,” he said.

He and his brother, Mbuso, 62, had been brought to the scene, about 1km from their home, by Ezemvelo employees.

Vusi’s wife, Thandeka Kubeka, 33, had joined them at the mortuary, to see for herself that her husband of just five years was really gone.

Her sister, Nikiwe Hlabisa, told the Daily News yesterday Thandeka had been stoic.

The lion bites had left gaping lacerations, mostly on Vusi’s neck.

“At about 2am she started crying loudly. I think that is when it hit her, she hasn’t stopped crying since,” Hlabisa said.

Hlabisa sat next to her sister on the “mourning mat” yesterday, with the couple’s 14-month old son, Asibonge, sleeping on Hlabisa’s lap.

Lwandile, 8, Vusi’s and Thandeka’s first-born, cried when her mother wailed from under a blanket as hymns were sung and words of condolence were relayed to the family.

“Who will raise my grandchildren?” asked Dingeni.

“They are too young to lose their father, it would have been better if I had died,” he said.

Dingeni will bury his son at the family homestead on Saturday.

Mabuyakhulu and Mabunda pledged to assist the family with preparations.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ai, a tragedy this! :-(

But well-handled by KZN, IMO! \O

Don't know if the drought has much to do with it? :-?

Return to “Hluhluwe/Imfolozi Game Reserve”