Mkuze Game Reserve

Information & Discussion on Mkuze
Flutterby

Mkuze Game Reserve

Post by Flutterby »

Situated in northern Zululand, this 40 000 hectare reserve was proclaimed a protected area in 1912. Mkhuze Game Reserve constitutes the north western spur of the Greater St Lucia Wetland Park, a recently declared World Heritage Site. The Mkhuze River curves along the reserve's northern and eastern borders with a fine stretch of fig forest along its banks.

Image ©safarinow.com

The reserve has an astonishing diversity of natural habitats, from the eastern slopes of the Lebombo mountains along its eastern boundary, to broad stretches of acacia savannah, swamps and a variety of woodlands and riverine forest. A rare type of sand forest also occurs in the reserve.

This diversity of habitats means a wide variety of animal species including black and white rhinoceros, elephant, giraffe, nyala, blue wildebeest, warthog, eland, hippo, impala, kudu and other smaller antelope. Rare species occurring in the reserve are cheetah, hyena, suni and leopard. Mkhuze is renowned as a mecca for bird lovers with more than 420 bird species on record.

Image ©tembe.org

Image ©agriwiki.co.za

Three game viewing hides have been constructed next to the Kubube, Kamasinga, Kwamalibala pans. Depending on the surface water in the reserve, but normally during the drier winter months, large concentrations of game may be seen at the waterholes. These hides offer unique opportunities to photographers and many famous wildlife pictures have been taken there.

Two beautiful pans, Nhlonhlela and Nsumo, lie in the north and east respectively, home to communities of hippo, crocodile, pink-backed and white pelicans, as well as a diversity of ducks and geese which gather in spring.

Nsumo Pan

Image ©tiscali.nl

A Zulu cultural village in the reserve offers a glimpse of the traditional lifestyle and crafts of the KwaJobe community.

Image ©travelpod.com

Within the game reserve Mantuma Camp offers accommodation in the form of safari tents and chalets - all self-catering.

There are ten 2-bed and three 4-bed tented units. Each has en-suite ablution facilities (including hot and cold showers) and its own open plan kitchen, with refrigeration and electricity available. There are two 6 bed-cottages, four 2-bed chalets, five 4-bed chalets and six 2-bed rest huts. The rest huts are served by a central kitchen and communal ablutions. Units are serviced daily, but visitors are required to do their own cooking and washing up. No plug points for electric razors are available. The camp offers close by amenities such as a swimming pool (an essential comfort during the hottest months of summer), a small restaurant with limited seating and take-aways and a curio shop. The shop combines with the camp office, stocking curios, clothing, basic food supplies and liquid refreshments.

Image ©proportal.co.za

Image ©jillianrcairns

Emshopi Camping and Caravanning area is situated 1 km from the main gate, and 9 km from Mantuma Camp. It can accommodate sixty visitors, and is situated at the entrance gate. Ablution blocks with hot and cold water serve the campsites.

Nhlonhlela Bush Lodge is an eight-bed lodge overlooking Nhlonhlela Pan. All units are en suite and are connected by boardwalks branching out from the communal lounge and kitchen. A cook/caretaker is in attendance, as well as a field ranger to take visitors on game walks. The lodge is served by solar powered lighting. Good torches and a gas light are recommended.

Image ©hluhluwereservations.co.za

There is an educational camp which consists of 4 dormitories that sleep 8 each, a kitchen and an ablution block.

The reserve has 100 km of tourist roads for game drives. Picnic sites are situated at Nsumo Pan, Nxwala game viewing hide and next to the reception area in the main camp. Short day walks and night drives conducted by a field ranger can be arranged with the Camp Manager the previous day.

Mkhuze is in a malaria area and special precautions are necessary.

For accommodation enquiries go to: http://www.kznwildlife.com

Toko

Re: Mkuze Game Reserve

Post by Toko »

Map of Mkhuze Game Reserve

Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Thanks to each one for this information.

Toko - you have been there. Which entrance gate is the best - and is the sight seeing the southern parts good or should I keep to the northern part and the dams. ;-)

Oh... and will this be suitable for day drives or would you recommend an overnight stay.?

(I will be off to Natal next weekend for a week - but staying with family.)

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Toko

Post by Toko »

0/* There is a new entrance gate now (not on the map above). Ophansi Gate in the north-east, linking the reserve to the R22.

The birding is best around Nsumo Pan and the rest of the wildlife I think is everywhere and not very abundant, except of Nyala. I would stay in the park and take the chance of the early and late outings. Though I have not been often to the southern areas.
Note: Wildcard is not accepted 0*\

Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Thanks Toko.... I picked up on the 'wildcard'.

From your birding list I am going in search of 9 birds... for definite.

Collared and grey sunbird... ahh
Broad billed roller .. uhm
Half-collared kingfisher.. shoo
Pink-throated twinspots..aai
Grey waxbills... tch
Yellow billed stork... yes
Squacco Heron - Green-backed Heron -
.............and a dwarf bittern.

okey, so I can't count.. -O -O

I'd love to see Pelicans again, and spoonbill, brown headed parrots, and... and.. -O -O

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Amoli wrote:Thanks to each one for this information.

Toko - you have been there. Which entrance gate is the best - and is the sight seeing the southern parts good or should I keep to the northern part and the dams. ;-)

Oh... and will this be suitable for day drives or would you recommend an overnight stay.?

(I will be off to Natal next weekend for a week - but staying with family.)
Where in KZN O\/ O\/ O\/

Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Stationed in Empangeni. Might even do Hluluhwe -O-

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Lucky you!!! O\/ O\/ I was born in Empangeni but haven't been back since leaving as a child! :-(

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Amoli wrote:Stationed in Empangeni. Might even do Hluluhwe -O-
I will drive past you on the way to KNP. O/

Do Imfolozi as it’s closer and better than the others in the area X#X

Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Thanks BC - Will check it out.

If there is a slight chance that you decide to pull off for a cooldrink in the surroundings of Empangeni, you must give a tinkle to come and say 'hi'. \O Would love to meet you and your family ;-)

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014

Return to “Mkuze Game Reserve”