Lions On The Loose

PJL

Re: Lions On The Loose

Post by PJL »

Richprins wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:37 am Yes, I've never seen that Croc teagarden incredibly overcrowded, and there are all sorts of shady places that one can relax at anyway! :-0 :-0 :-0

Nice to take a quiet drive so that one can come down to earth again and appreciate your rare sightings, Peej! :twisted:
Yes indeed. We do tend to have a lot of luck so it's good that we get a reality check now and then O**

PJL

Post by PJL »

Flutterby wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:39 am Wonderful ellie sighting! ^Q^ I don't think I would be brave enough to sit so close but I suppose when you have no other option you just sit back and enjoy it! \O \O

Pity you missed the kill!! :shock:
Yeah the kill would have been fun to see - particularly as the people we spoke to who saw it made it sound like the pig was just stupid to walk into a pride of lions =O: =O:
Normally we wouldn't be nervous of ellies as we get used to reading their moods from Addo, but it's always a bit more risky in Kruger and the week before someone had their car a bit trampled apparently for no obvious mistake on their side 0:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

That's just incredible! You enter the park at 9 am and get tons of lions walking for you. Are you a lion whisperer? lol
Definitely an exhilarating sighting :-0

And that herd of ellies in the road - totally beautiful as well ^Q^

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

WoW PJL,

what luck you had with the entire Gesanftombi pride - We always do the little detour when there is water and you were rewarded \O

Love your bird shots as well and the ellie herd shots as well - It was also a large herd :yes: :ty:

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
PJL

Post by PJL »

Mel wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:07 pm That's just incredible! You enter the park at 9 am and get tons of lions walking for you. Are you a lion whisperer? lol
Definitely an exhilarating sighting :-0

And that herd of ellies in the road - totally beautiful as well ^Q^
We were very fortunate with our timing that morning. Perhaps we are lion whisperers as there are some more nice sightings to come on the odd day O** O**
Pumbaa wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:34 pm WoW PJL,

what luck you had with the entire Gesanftombi pride - We always do the little detour when there is water and you were rewarded \O

Love your bird shots as well and the ellie herd shots as well - It was also a large herd :yes: :ty:
Thanks Pumbaa - we always made sure we stopped on the bridge or at the viewing area by the Vurhami as so much can be seen around there \O

PJL

Post by PJL »

Sat 22nd June contd

After the fun of the lion sighting in the morning we decided that we would only do a short afternoon drive so that we could be back in Marloth Park in good time for a nice braai, so we just did a short drive up the H4-2 and S130. It was generally quiet with only a few regulars around. We found a headless raptor along the way :shock:

Which once it had retrieved its head appeared to be a maturing jackal buzzard with a very full crop

Along the S130 these we wondered whether these vultures were nesting or just hanging out at the top of the tree

On the way back we had another excellent ground hornbill sighting. They were proving to be a common thread this trip already O/\ O/\

They were wandering amongst a herd of impala which made for some interesting pics [O]

We found a few elephant scattered around the H4-2 including a little one running after its mom O:V

It had been a very successful days drive, and we enjoyed relaxing back at the house that evening where we even spotted a herd of elephant in the park from our balcony O\/

After a very enjoyable braai I tried out some night photography. Not something I've really done before and the results were somewhat 'interesting' in many of the shots, but a few came out quite well X#X

Tomorrow would be another early start and we planned to try out Malelane gate \O

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Sjoe more great lion pics O/\ A brilliant late start to the day :-0

Pity you missed the Vurhami pride make the kill

You guys had a great unit in Marloth O:V

Night photography :shock: ^Q^ ^Q^ I’m scared of that =O:

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Very interesting night shots...the sky is often quite clear in the bush! [O]

Nice pose by granny there! O:V

I like the hornbills! :-0

The headless eagle may be a tawny, Peej? -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
PJL

Post by PJL »

Bushcraft wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:06 pm Sjoe more great lion pics O/\ A brilliant late start to the day :-0

Pity you missed the Vurhami pride make the kill

You guys had a great unit in Marloth O:V

Night photography :shock: ^Q^ ^Q^ I’m scared of that =O:
Yep we were very lucky with that late start O** O**
That unit in MP was really nice. The only slight downside is that it was the 'wrong' side of MP for getting to Croc Bridge gate ;-)

PJL

Post by PJL »

Richprins wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:31 pm Very interesting night shots...the sky is often quite clear in the bush! [O]

Nice pose by granny there! O:V

I like the hornbills! :-0

The headless eagle may be a tawny, Peej? -O-
Was fun to try out the night photography thing. Plenty to learn there :yes:
Not sure about the eagle. I had thought tawny at the time, but it seems to reddish in the colours coming through - JB made more sense, and we see them a lot here so maybe that's why it looks familiar -O-

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”