1 + 2 + 3 = 4 + 5 + 6 = A steamtrainfan clan Trip Report. *

steamtrainfan

Re: 1 + 2 + 3 = 4 + 5 + 6 = A steamtrainfan clan Trip Report

Post by steamtrainfan »

Day 5 Part 1.

Woke up this morning to find that Neills battery was flat as can be. A push start to get the blood circulating and we were off. We decided that we were going to do the Timbavati road this morning and were hoping that the surface had been smoothed out a bit. This was not to be and still proved to be a T.W. - I leave that for you to work out. You can call it a Teeth Wobbler if you so feel. =O: =O:

Anyway our first sighting was this old guy on the H7 casually munching away without a care in the world.
Please excuse the branch sticking out his back.

A little further on H7 we came across this ostrich.

Our first sighting on the S39 Timbavati Road was the lovely Batleur.

Next we saw a whole bunch of vultures scattered all over the show but this bunch having a branch meeting attracted the photographers eye.

Leeubron produced nothing. The sightings had suddenly gone, not even impala to be seen. My teeth were begiining to feel like all the fillings were falling out when we stopped at a shady spot to look down into the river. Joan suddenly said "Look up there in this big tree". My immediate thought was that she had seen a leopard up in the tree but it was not. However, our excitement was just as great as there were two Verreaux's eagle-owls looking down on us with that ever so haughty expression that they always seem to have. We could not see a nest so maybe they were still on honeymoon.

Number 1.

Number 2.

We sat in the cool watching them for a while and then moved on. Not 5 minutes later at the Timbavati Water Hole yours truly spotted this guy walking in the distance and all my fillings were suddenly back where they belong.

Behind him were 5 females and another male. We watched them as they circled around the water hole. We did a u-turn as they were now heading to cross the road and go down to the river. Here follows a series of pics that Joan took and the last one is one that Neill took with his iphone - I think that is what it is called. Sorry about there being so many pics but we had this group to ourselves for 20 minutes with Joans camera going off like a machine gun, as they sauntered across the road right between our two cars. Not another car in sight.

Neill and Liza had never seen lion this close before. Neills photo.

With our hearts still in our mouths we moved on to Timbavati Picnic Spot which was just around the corner. It was here we found a crowd looking at the same lions way in the distance among the reeds. We tried to tell a game drive driver that we had seen them right next to our car not 10 minutes ago but all we got was that " Yeah, tell me another one" look.

After a very nice breakfast we wanted to move on but Neills car refused to start. Of all the folk at the picnic spot only one guy offered to help us push it. It was not easy as the parking here is a bit of a downhill and against the wooden barrier. Of course we did not think of parking somewhere we we could roll start it in need. O/

Neill got the car started and we moved on heading back to Satara via the S127.

To be continued.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

DAY 5 PART 2

After push starting Neills car we headed back to Satara as Joan and I had booked a sunset drive. We drove up to Ratelpan Hide before taking the S127 and H1-4 to Satara.

This shot taken as we left Timbavati picnic spot.

Along the S127 we came across this tailess zebra. We can only imagine what happened.

And then his buddy walked into the picture. I am sure they were an Odd Couple as there were no other zebra or kudu to be seen anywhere near this vicinity.

A rather nice pic of my favourite bird (beside my S.O.) that is.

As there was nothing else to take photos of Joan took this shot of some lady waterbuck.

On the sunset drive Joan took this shot of a pair of maribu stork settling down for the night.

For the sunset drive the guide took us along the H7 towards Orpen. We saw the same ellie as we had seen earlier this morning on our way to Timbavati Picnic spot.

And another shot of him. Quite a nice set of tusks.

Opposite the Nsemani dam there is what looks like an embankment of sorts that stretches south into the bush. On this embankment we saw 5 lion cubs of different ages waiting for their parents. It never ceases to amaze me how these little guys know how to stay in one place while mother goes shopping. Apologies for the not so good photos but these are the best Joan could get in the fading light.

Our driver then told us that he had just been advised that there was a leopard with a kill a little further along the road so we proceeded to travel very slowly toward Orpen for another hour or so before turning around and heading back to Satara. By now it was getting very cold and I was developing, to quote B.C. a very serious pelican face, as this was now the second time our sunset drive from Satara was just a drive down a road, u-turn and back again without seeing much. Neill and Liza are going on their sunset drive tomorrow night and I really hope they see more than we did.

To be continued.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

DAY 6 PART 1

Neil and Liza took a ride down to Skukuza to try and get a new battery for their car as it was as dead as a doornail this morning. Joan and I decided to do the H7 to Orpen as lots of folk rave about this road.

Our first stop was Nsemani Dam where Joan got this sunrise scene.

Our first Kori Bustard out hunting in the early morning light.

A nice shot of a Brown Snake Eagle or is it a juvenile Bataluer? :o0ps:

Things were getting very boring as there noting to be seen, not even the usual characters hanging around. Only when we got pretty close to Orpen a friendly fellow coming toward us stopped us and told that there were some lion on a kill on the dirt road toward Tamboti Camp. After thanking him the temptation to put pedal to the metal was very strong however I resisted and stuck to 40kmh as Joan and I both agreed that if they were busy with a kill they were not going to move very far. Sure enough just at a V in the road where the road to Tamboti and another no entry road splits to the left we saw a major traffic jam. We took our place in the queue until we saw this:

and the same lion in a different pose.

After watching them, there were two young males, for a while we switched our attention to this guy waiting patiently on the other side of the road.

We eventually wangled our way onto the no entry road, only about 3 metres in, and got these two shots - one of each male. We were so close we could hear the bones breaking and cracking as the one tore away at the carcass. This was one major exciting experience for us as we had never been so close to a lion kill before. Pity about the long grass which prevented Joan getting pics of the lion eating the carcass.

By now our needs were for a comfort break and we had to leave these two and thinking that we would come back after a bite to eat and a comfort break at Orpen.

At Orpen this little hut caught my eye and I took this pic with the small Fuji camera.

After about a 30 minute break we headed back to the lion kill only to find that the lions had left, the traffic jam had dispersed and the guy who had been waiting so patiently was in their place.

Leaving the jackal to his just reward we went back to the H7 and turned east towards Satara.

Two pics of my favourite bird.

Back at Nsemani Dam Joan got these two pics of a Batleur in flight.

To be continued.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

DAY 6 PART 2.

We had stopped at Nsemani Dam as we still had about an hour or so to go before we had to be back at Satara to babysit for Neill and Liza as they had booked themselves on a sunset drive. Neill had managed to get a new battery at Skukuza so they did not have to out to Hazyview like we did back in 2009. Here are some pics taken whilst sitting at the dam.

Some zebra checking out the local heavies.

A delightful sight as this family of waterbuck came down for a drink.

The resident croc sunning himself.

Some more aloof zebra as some frisky wildebeest play and drink.

Some giraffe then came down to drink. This was proving to be quite an entertaining stop.

An ellie sharing his drinking hole with a hippo.

Then some impala joined him.

And finally "Willy Next Door" aka Wolly Necked Stork came strolling past.

It was now time to head back to camp as we had spent much longer watching the comings and goings than we had planned.

On arrival back at camp I got this shot this inquisitive fellow.

Then while Neill and Liza were on their sunset drive Joan took Caitlin on a "gogga" hunt with her little lamp shining the way.

After the "Gogga" hunt.

Neill and Liza arrived back and this is what they had seen:

2 x leopard
lion
elephant
civet
genet
white tailed mongoose (they were told that this was extremely rare to see)
hyena
porcupine
jackal
cerval
impala
kudu

Now tell me that game drives are boring. Again, it just being in the right place at the right time.

To be continued.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

DAY 7 PART 1.

Woke up early on this our last morning sincerely hoping that what has happened on all previous last mornings in the park, but never mentioned on T.T. for fear of being black listed, was not going to happen again. As my feet hit the floor IT HAPPENED. I really did try hard to prevent it from happening but to no avail.

The clutch in my butt broke and I just could not get my @#&# into gear no matter how hard I tried.

I managed to drag myself out onto the verandah and I wanted time to stand still. The early morning orchestra was in full swing and I sat there with my cup of tea and a rusk and listened to the wonderful sounds that one can only get in Kruger.

Neill and Liza had decided to sleep in for a while so Joan and I set off after saying our goodbyes and "See you back at home."

We were not far out of Satara when we saw a few cars heading in the same direction as we were all lined up grand prix starting grid style ahead of us. After a bit of manouvering I managed to get a spot where we could see through the group of cars. In the middle of road were 3 cheetah walking ahead of the front row of cars.

Sorry about the quality of the pics but this one Joan managed to get through the front window through the row of cars. One can just see the 3rd cheetahs feet.

Then the cheetah decided to move into the veld and stalk some impala. Luckily we had chosen the right side of the road, in both senses of the word, as we were on the right hand side and could now see the cheetah quite clearly. This now started a major stock car race as everybody tried to squeeze into the most impossible little gaps to get a spot in the right hand lane. One guy in a little van of sorts almost removed my left hand side rear view mirror as he squeezed through an almost impossible gap while driving and photographing at the same time. However Joan still had to wangle her camera and lens past my head in order to get the following shots. Our apologies for the quality of the photos but I was busy manouvering the car in order too keep pace with the flow while Joan was shouting STOP - NO MOVE FORWARD - GO BACK A BIT - SWITCH OFF THE ENGINE - MOVE TO THE LEFT - TURN TO THE RIGHT .............. Now I know I am a pretty good driver but how was I supposed to do all that at the same time.

The cheetah then vanished into the bush and we managed to untangle ourselves from the clutch of cars or whatever the word is for a group of cars.

Joan saw this rather elegant looking dead tree and took a photo.

At Nkaya Pan all we saw was this Kori Bustard crouched next to the water drinking. Of course while we waited he did not take a drink but just sat there looking at us.

As we were running a bit early for breakfast at Tshokwane we took a short ride on the S125. Nothing to be seen so we did u-turn and re-joined the H1-3.

Just after joing the H1-3 and before the Baoab Tree this fellow came scurrying out the grass from the left, right in front of our car, which caused me to slam on brakes which even at 25 kmh caused a sharp "What is it, where is it?" from Joan. Hastily grabbing her camera Joan fired off some shots as the HB dashed into the grass on her side of the car and then popped out into a clearing which please us greatly. You have just got to love that arrogant swagger of theirs as they trot along. Once again, apologies for the quality of the photos which were taken with much haste as this guy was in a hurry only pausing twice to look back at us as if to say "Mind your own business."

Final episode to follow soon.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Day 7 Part 2 - The Final Hours.

Not 5 minutes after seeing the Honey Badger we came across a troop of baboons. This mother and child caught Joans eye.

Kumana Dam with some baboons sitting on an island.

A little further down towards Tshokwane we came across this lone tusker.

We arrived at Tshokwane and ordered two kudu wors rolls for breakfast. We had just received the rolls when Neill and family arrived. They joined us at the table and Neill said look what we've just seen about a kilometre up the road. We all got up to look at his photos on his i-phone when quick as a flash a huge baboon jumped on the table and grabbed the two wors rolls and ate them within sconds and disappeared. It all happened so quickly. Next time I am going to smother my roll with red hot chilli sauce and leave it to let a boon snatch it. Cannot wait to see his face. :twisted:

Anyway, back to what Neill and family saw.

This caused a great deal of green faces with Mom and Dad.

We re=ordered our kudu wors rolls and sat and ate them immediately.

Nothing much else seen until we got to Lake Panic. As we had some time to go we popped in but not much to be seen except for this guy.

Our last two photos of some ellies drinking at a waterhole on the S1 on way to Phabeni Gate.

Apologies for the grass in the picture.

That is the end of our 2012 T.T.. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. It has given Joan and I great joy to read your comments.

Until next time - stay safe, stay happy and above all stay healthy.

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”