A cat or a lifer a day keep the doctor away

Pumbaa

Re: A cat or a lifer a day keep the doctor away

Post by Pumbaa »

Thanks so far Alf, Klipspringer, Lisbeth, Harrys, Peter, Richprins, Sprocky, Flutterby and Mel O/\ O/\ O/\

And what luck we had that we still could travel and even come back safely in view of Corona :O^

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Thursday, 06. February 2020 – O. R. Tambo – Malelane

Nothing extraordinary happened so everything went well from our landing in Johannesburg until we reached our lodge along the Crocodile river and we also needed overall the same time so we still had enough time to simply stroll along the garden in the lodge with camera in hand and to wait what might show up. At least Timon did so in the beginning as I was still busy in reorganizing our luggage into Kruger mode to have everything ready which we do need at least in the driver’s cabin whilst driving in the park but due to our experiences so far that is meanwhile a routine job and is taking lesser time so after a while I could join Timon and we simply enjoyed to be finally back to the place we do love so much.

For sure a lot of birds could already be heard and finally a couple of them showed up as well

some flew along

and others simply stayed a bit hidden.

Funny was that exactly on the same flower bouquet we already discovered last year a scarlet-chested sunbird and so it was today as well

and even closer.

Luckily for us same was not in a hurry, stayed and consequently posed like mad so Timon took picture after picture -

I simply love the colours of this bird but also the jazzy colours of these flowers

far too soon this colourful feathered friend disappeared but I already noticed a fish eagle in a tree on the other side of the river

who we already noticed last year in the vicinity of this tree same still was a bit far away but nevertheless very good visible. At least the arrow marked babblers could be seen quite close

and where is one more are not far.

Always love also the nearly tame black-eyed bulbuls a relatively common bird but always lovely posing and today same had somewhere found a berry and presented same to us willingly

Last edited by Pumbaa on Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

and after same had showed same from nearly all possible ankles the berry was nearly gone

and done.

At least we had a more than great time to be back and observe a couple of our feathered friends

luckily these species are not that shy and normally easy to photograph.

Finally all the birds were gone but there were still the beautiful and colourful bushes which are also beautiful without birds.

In the distance I discovered already three pied kingfishers but same were a bit too far away and a bit too hidden but good to know that they are already around. At least a bushbuck lady could be seen extreme close

and suddenly also six waterbuck ladies appeared and started to graze

not far away one could hear thunder and noticed already the lightning and it got already extreme dark but we still could notice now a male waterbuck nearing the ladies.

After we heard them already earlier now we were finally also able in seeing them two burchell’s coucals still a bit farer away in a bush but after it took last year already until nearly the last day we spotted them we were happy to discover them now already right in the beginning.

Timon is meanwhile quite good in distinguish all the birds only by their calls but this call is so remarkable that I noticed same already right from the beginning luckily the bird also showed up. We also wanted to stroll to the little pond at the parking area but finally it started to rain quite heavily so we decided to go to our room and relax there a bit until it was time for dinner which was again really high recommendable there and lucky for us that we booked in advance a table as the restaurant was extreme full. Also the rain had stopped meanwhile and we simply enjoyed our first evening outside on the deck by comfortable temperatures and by the normal bush night sounds. Sigh!

to be continued………

PuMbAa

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

Wow, we start with a full page of birdies O/\ My favourite is the Bronze Mannikin O:V .

The red flowering bush is an ornamental garden plant: Spathodea campanulata, commonly called African tulip tree, is a large, fast-growing tree that is native of tropical West African forests. The yellow one is a Peanut Butter cassia (Senna didymobotrya), considered an invader in South Africa, but a pretty garden plant as well. Despite poisonous leaves, extracts are widely used in central Africa as a purgative and for treatment of malaria, other fevers and jaundice.

Which lodge is it?
Last edited by Klipspringer on Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alf

Post by Alf »

Stunning close up pictures of all these different birds ^Q^ ^Q^

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Lovely stuff, Pumbaa! [O]

It is palpable how happy you were to be back. :yes: O:V

I think the bulbul is also eating an exotic berry. :no:

0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

That place is perfect for birding. You only have to wait for them \O

I love the bush with the matching bird O/\

You are always lucky with sunbirds! Normally they are hard to photograph O/

Nice way to start the holidays ^Q^ ^Q^
0()

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Lots of lovely birds about. ^Q^ ^Q^

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Which model is the first bird? First I thought it was a grey-headed sparrow but the reddish/beige colour of the breast does not fit and also the impression as a whole points elsewhere :-? Only the bill fits ;-)

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Klipspringer wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:17 pm Wow, we start with a full page of birdies O/\ My favourite is the Bronze Mannikin O:V .

The red flowering bush is an ornamental garden plant: Spathodea campanulata, commonly called African tulip tree, is a large, fast-growing tree that is native of tropical West African forests. The yellow one is a Peanut Butter cassia (Senna didymobotrya), considered an invader in South Africa, but a pretty garden plant as well. Despite poisonous leaves, extracts are widely used in central Africa as a purgative and for treatment of malaria, other fevers and jaundice.

Which lodge is it?
Thanks so much for the explanations of the plants X#X X#X X#X It is the Rio Vista Lodge at Malelane \O

PuMbAa

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”