Absolutely. Although as you can see, I do only allow them a Savanna light =O:

Flutterby

Re: Whistlestop dreams at Tsendze

Post by Flutterby »

As it should be. :yes: lol

krugerbru

Post by krugerbru »

The morning drive was an early affair. As in past experience, it's scorching by 7ish up north. As the camp was empty, I was easily the first out of the gate. It's was only me and the two boys as per usual on the early morning drives. What was the saying.. only mad dogs and Englishmen and a nature hungry South African in the Kruger will get up at 4AM.

The boys are still small enough for me to pick them up in their sleeping bags and put them in the car while they're still dreaming of the next mind blowing sighting. This means I have the first hour or so in the car by myself, but also sadly means I have to do the gate all on my own O/

I decided to do the Shongololo Loop this morning. This takes you west off the H1-6 and over the low-water bridge on the Tsendze River. Well were in in for a pleasant surprise when we got there. The road drops steeply just before the river, creating the most magnificent scene as the dense Mopani bush gives way to a green oasis filled with a variety of storks, herons and the ever present hammerkop. When we inched closer to get better pictured of the birds, we realised that the river was still flowing gently over the bridge and various fish that had swum freely over it when in flood, were now trying to make the perilous journey back over to the deep pools in front of the Shipandani hide.

Now Saddle-billed Storks with their sharp beaks don't miss an opportunity to pick a tasty snack from the film of water running gently over the bridge and they were having a feast. The only fish that actually made it successfully upstream were the ones that crossed while the storks were already engaged in a successful kill

Well this was enough entertainment to keep me there for hours, but we had to head off as the loop including the trip back on the tar road is easily 50km.

My boys, awake by now, spotted this Water Monitor Lizard in the long grass just below the bridge.

krugerbru

Post by krugerbru »

Peter Betts wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:07 am Nice to see Joshua is doing well..we always stay in 14 in Sept visits and we ofen found him in our Bush Camper ..once on our bed after we arrived back from a walk
Sounds amazing. My boys would have loved that. On our last visit, they would follow him around with Rodgerh on his rounds, fee him and stroke him whenever he would allow for it.

krugerbru

Post by krugerbru »

My apologies, I forgot to share the first animals we saw on the trip. These beautiful Ellies on the H9, shortly after we came in.

Alf

Post by Alf »

Enjoying the trip with you guys. Oh i love Mooiplaas picnic area so late in the afternoon

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Lovely stork pics \O

0() 0()

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

I love this river crossing, too! Better birding there than from the hide.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

^Q^ ^Q^

Very good pics, bru! :yes:

Yes, one has to get up at 4 in summer to survive! :twisted:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”