1 “Flattie”(not the chicken) the millipede & other firsts *

Twigga

1 “Flattie”(not the chicken) the millipede & other firsts *

Post by Twigga »

Day 1 - Croc bridge gate to Skukuza

Note to the reader before continuing, all photos taken by little “mik & druk” (microscopic camera), so in the event if you’re not sure of an aminal, please feel free to ask the id, the Sony had a wedding to cover…..moving swiftly along ;-)

After 3 months of excitement, planning, dreaming, & scouting the forums for more tips and info for our trip the time finally arrived to be back in Kruger again, this time lucklily for more than 1 night O/\ O/\ O/\

Alarm set for Friday 4:00 wanting to leave at 5, but we had an over excited comrade 1 in our midst, bursting into every room at 3:30 shouting/asking “So,you can’t sleep as well?” Eish didn’t thought it was funny at the time so the eager beaver won and we left at 4:30, saving a half an hour………smooth sailing till just before Barberton……..stop/go OR stop/throw.Waited for almost 20 minutes, the beaver was angry O/

We wanted to enter the park at 9:00 but only entered 9:30 after having a quick stop at Komati for something to munch. I never in my life consumed a breakfast so fast……..not because of hunger but because comrade 1 was standing with a rifle behind us, if we don’t eat fast enough :evil:

Crocodile Bridge, aaaaaaaaa I go into chillax mode every time I enter Kruger for the first time

Macdonalds of Kruger – quick take away, Impies

Somewhere in Kruger
Twigga

Re: 1 “Flattie”(not the chicken) the millipede & other first

Post by Twigga »

We cruised into Kruger but first had to stop to do a in depth assesment on the condition of the veld (another tradition)……….all comrades had their own opinions and comments so I immidiatly got so irritated after 10 min. in the sun still talking away, and I put an end to the assessment – Kruger is dry! Lets move on to the action pleeeeeeeeease…….

P1010716 by twigga2011, on Flickr

First signs of life – Bumshots zeeeeeeebra

P1010718 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Bluewildbeest (blouwillie)

P1010721 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Vervets

P1010726 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Over the bridge and it was buzzing with activity, a perfect opportunity for a pic of the resident fish eagle in the fever tree but “tiny” could not reach it
O/ O/ O/

P1010724 by twigga2011, on Flickr

The beaver nagged that we shoud do the S28, now I love this road but early morning, not when it’s 28 deg already and not even 11, so he won……AGAIN
0*\

Somewhere in Kruger
Twigga

Post by Twigga »

Greetings 0/*

Driving on this famous dirt road was like driving on 1000’s of “corn flakes”,cracking under your wheels definitely not a dirt road any more but stone road.On some parts they were busy to bulldoze and that definitely helped with corrugation

First elllie of the trip
P1010727 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Then Comrade 2 shouted……............o what’s that in the tree?! O, just an owl…Just an owl!!! I love owls, there is just something mysterious about them, and they’re wise, can learn a lot from them. Any ideas? Reuse ooruil? "Look harder" =O: :o0ps: Time for the magnifying glasses......

P1010729 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Just before Ntandanyati hide we saw the first Twigga of the trip, btw Twigga “camel horse” (giraffe) in Swahili!

P1010735 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Ntandanyati hide – Can’t remember the last time I actually witnessed water at the hide

P1010737 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Upon exiting the hide (we now were the only tourists) we saw a breeding herd of ellies approach from the left……they were cruising to the hide’s parking area and I made my discomfort known. So the beaver were forced to start the engine and they crossed behind us. Lets just say I was not popular for a while……I’m not scared, just cautious O**

P1010743 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Spot the animal -O

P1010744 by twigga2011, on Flickr

This 2 nuggets hiding from the sun

P1010745 by twigga2011, on Flickr
Last edited by Twigga on Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Somewhere in Kruger
Twigga

Post by Twigga »

We proceeded towards L/Sabie for refreshments (the non’alcoholic type :O^ ) as the beaver said he’s on rehab as well for this trip…………(well that didn’t last long) =O: =O: =O:
Pitstop at Sunset dam, which is looking pretty empty,in desperate need of some “sky juice”
P1010748 by twigga2011, on Flickr

1km from L/Sabie towards Skukuza a lonesome male lion on the opposite river bank the cause of a huge traffic jam didn’t even try to get a pic.
Approx 3km from the camp you approach a bridge, now friends of ours had seen a big male leopard on the rocks/cave on a recent trip, we saw a few cars,but could not see anything on the rocks.The usual conversation occurred, (with a not so usual outcome)

Hi there, can you see anything?
No just scanning, there’s a big herd of ellies up the road, and another lion and btw do you know you have a flat wheel!!?? But don’t worry Nkuhlu is just 6km from here, if you drive slowly………you will probably make it…….Bye have a lovely day
:shock: :shock: O/ O/ 0= 0= :-?

Now when you’re in a panic situation it’s so interesting to observe every individual’s different reaction.
My mom started praying , comrade 2 – crying how we’re gonna be stuck there for the whole night, The beaver – said a few colourful words then assessed the situation, I on the other hand started to laugh hysterically. Now the option to drive to Nkuhlu was out of the question so I asked the comrade 1 if we would make it safely back to L/Sabie and he said yes, (luckily not on the rim) So the praying, laughing and crying continued but just before the lion sighting we could hear that there’s trouble, and we pulled over…..
wheel by twigga2011, on Flickr

Now the only option was to phone the camp to send someone who could help, not with changing the tyre but for moral support, hopefully with a rifle.We phoned the camp and within 15 minutes our guardian angel Enos arrived, unarmed I must say and the first words he said to us:EISH….I don’t like this place where you’ve stopped, always the predators……….thanks now we felt better. O-/ O-/ O-/
A new world record was setup in the changing of the tyre, I’m sure…….

Back to camp to assess the damage and luckily tyre was not a write off and we were notified that Skukuza would be able to help us to repair. So off we went, take 2, not without a 6 pack, that definitely helped with moral support O**

Thanks a mil L/Sabie for your support and Enos \O O0

By this stage we just wanted to arrive at Skukuza, and I can’t recall any worthwhile sightings (not because of the X#X ;-) )

Afternoon drive produced this lady (magnifying glasses alert!!!) in the riverbed. She caused another mayor traffic jam, we were informed that she had 4 cubs in the vegetation, so she could not stray far and was in the area for a week now

lion1 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Approached another traffic jam, and this was unfortunately the closest to a LIT we could get for the entire trip :-( :-( :-(
P1010752 by twigga2011, on Flickr

This guy/gal taking a last nap before going to work for the night
P1010758 by twigga2011, on Flickr

African sunset....... X#X
P1010763 by twigga2011, on Flickr
Last edited by Twigga on Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Somewhere in Kruger
Twigga

Post by Twigga »

Day 2
Skukuza – Tamboti

The early bird catches the ???? That was what we wanted to find out…………Had a long stretch to do, but we did not complain O\/
First sighting of the day, the same lady as yesterday, which moved 5 meters to another rock…….but we still appreciated the moment……..no pic, for obvious reasons

Continued and btw the spotted one claimed his bushbuck in tree, shame can’t blame him/her.
Who likes to eat when 50 people are photographing you…………..and watching you with binocs??!!
0*\ 0*\ 0*\
Moving swiftly along…..the POA / PVA breakfast at Tshokwane, pitstop at Nkumbe / Satara then to Tamboti.

First sign of life – Face of Sanparks
P1010769 by twigga2011, on Flickr

P1010776 by twigga2011, on Flickr

We proceeded towards Tshokwane, but just had to go to Nkumbe, “Kruger’s window”. Comrade 2 then shouted, dead hyena! Shame……………I did not want to see that :-( No ,shorry, it’s alive……

P1010781 by twigga2011, on Flickr

P1010785 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Then this little nugget popped up from the densite
P1010789 by twigga2011, on Flickr

More twiggas, the good, bad & out of sight
P1010798 by twigga2011, on Flickr

And then...............no surprise...................pic of the treeeeeeeeeeee 0*\ (Kruger tradition) although we had a bit of a disagreement as to which one it was again? 0=

P1010795 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Tshokwane oasis. So relieved (no pun intended :o0ps: ) that this famous picnic site is operational again O/\ O\/ O/\

P1010812 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Flood “leftovers”
P1010809 by twigga2011, on Flickr

A few km after Tshokwane till almost at Satara :-?

On the left, nothing right................
P1010815 by twigga2011, on Flickr

On the right nothing left.................
P1010817 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Somewhere in Kruger
Twigga

Post by Twigga »

Now last year I only visited Kruger once December as I did a trip over the seas and the "moola" was on the low side......so this year I'm over doing it a bit
O/\ O/\ O/\ O/\ O/\ O/\ but it's awesome!
Just 4 more nights than off to Kruger....again (3rd visit for 2012 and upcoming trip in December)
O\/ O/\ O\/.............

Day 2 (still)

At the Mazithi Dam this girl strolled out of the burnt veld, clearly on a mission, looking for greener pastures ,maybe? -O-

P1010823 by twigga2011, on Flickr

P1010825 by twigga2011, on Flickr

We continued towards Satara and it was extremely crowded, not even school holidays……shame poor Skopsie was not happy, as a there were clearly tourists that did not pay any attention to the “NO FLASH” SIGN” 0*\ 0- they were clicking away, but luckily a Sanparks staff member came to his rescue and spoke to the offenders.

P1010831 by twigga2011, on Flickr

We girls did what girls do best, shopping, when suddenly beaver stormed into the shop! Come quickly,Cheetah!!!! In camp………..we rushed outside in shock…………….he was right, but this one got stage fright…….oi boys will be boys! 0=

P1010832 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Nzemani Dam produced a lot of activity as usual, unfortunately no pride this time (for now O** ) but it was bath time for a herd of ellies

P1010842 by twigga2011, on Flickr

P1010843 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Then finally……....…………*sigh* Another first.......time visiting this lovely, mysterious camp ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ (not the last fo'so)

P1010972 by twigga2011, on Flickr

View from our tent – the best!!! Thanks Tinyiko for adhering to our request, tent nr…… ^0^ :twisted: and yes you’re right, definitely worth requesting ALTHOUGH a trip to the bathroom rather O-/ O-/ O-/ and all comrades had to take turns to accompany me to the loooo =O:
P1010847 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Priceless! Nothing like a "Braai in die bos! Bushveld braai" \O
Braai by twigga2011, on Flickr

Somewhere in Kruger
Twigga

Post by Twigga »

O0 0/* Greenville for the comments, time to wrap up, long overdue :o0ps: :o0ps: :o0ps:

Day 3

To wake up knowing you’re in Kruger, just the best feeling ever! O/\ Or as my granny says (just to wake up is a miracle) ;-)
HB visit was evident, I also heard it in the evening, as you could hear the dustbins falling over throughout the camp

Beaver still believes it’s this little dwarf mongooses(he developed a strong bond with these guys) that’s the culprits 0*\ .
I just imagined the scene in my head, 20 / 30 of them, their army rocking up each night trying to push the dustbins over, on 3 guys! 1,2, @%^$ man down, I repeat……
P1010849 by twigga2011, on Flickr

PVA brunch at Timbavati – Satara – Tamboti

First stop Bobbejaankrans – the view just amazing. Heard that the previous day someone saw a leopard from the viewsite. He/she was strolling on the rocks a few meters away to their left :shock:

P1010873 by twigga2011, on Flickr

On our way to Timbavati,Buffs & ellies
P1010886 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Timbavati p/site, breathtaking – a photo can’t do this picnic site any justice (although not this pics :o0ps: ) A must visit, if you’re in the area! \O
P1010900 by twigga2011, on Flickr

P1010890 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Stop at Ratel pan hide, flood level, amazing!
P1010912 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Somewhere in Kruger
Twigga

Post by Twigga »

Just before Nzemani Dam there’s a turnoff to a view point/dam, (not sure of name) on your left, we wanted to drive by but a car flagged us down, so left it is….thanks so much friendly person! O0
pair of mating lions….

P1010927 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Nzemani dam, the locals were there on the opposite bank, did not even bother to get a pic, but just reassuring that they’re ok…..they feel like long distance relatives by this stage -O

Reedbuck? OR "Vaalribbok"? Orrrrrrrrrrrrv - Fat Impala?! =O:
P1010923 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Back at camp

P1010942 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Afternoon drive, opt to go to Rabelais hut,short drive and back as we were due for our night drive….

At the t junction we saw this BBJ. He was so tame!!! When we stopped he immidiatly ran to us and his intentions was clear………the result of stupid, crazy tourists that fed him….later on the night drive we even learned that he has a name….like “Wagter” or “Ore” can’t recall now. It made me so extremely angry and sad!!!!

P1010963 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Somewhere in Kruger
Twigga

Post by Twigga »

If you haven’t been to Rabelais hut, please do make an effort to stop by, in future, a precious piece of Kruger’s history…...

P1010967 by twigga2011, on Flickr

P1010970 by twigga2011, on Flickr

Night drive.....

Saw alot of nocturnal animals including genet(small large), "witkwasmuishond"(yellow mongoose),bushbabies, BBJ "wagter"again..... 0*\, scrub hare.
Then just before returning to camp we saw a civet! O/\ O\/ O/\ Sam our guide (who is just the best btw) ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ gave us a lecture on the eating habits of this creature. Apparently just one of a few animals that could eat a certain type of poisonous millipede.So interesting.
Now Sam's pronunciation of millipede was something like "mielie-peeet"

Mozambique Millipede
Mosambiek & Wildtuin 2012 022 by twigga2011, on Flickr

I was so depressed that our ND came to an end, THEN suddenly the beaver was responsible to change my depressed feeling. He looked at us with a huge puzzled expression on his face.....??????? Hey comrades I can't understand how a "mielie pit" (corn seed) could be poisonous to a civet??!!!
Coming from a farming community corn was definitly on his mind as this is what his idea was of a millipide..................................
=O: =O: =O: =O: =O: =O: =O: =O: =O:

Popcorn / corn
0() 0() 0()

Mielie pitte by twigga2011, on Flickr
Last edited by Twigga on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Somewhere in Kruger
Twigga

Post by Twigga »

Thanks alot ya'll for popping in \O

Our last day we opt to exit at Orpen Gate, but just had to say goodbye to paradise and drove up to Bobbejaankrans and back.
H7 my new favourite road in the whole of Kruger, beautifull views!

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

So that concluded this Aug. 2012 trip, alot of firsts
-First time getting a "flattie" in Kruger
-First time to Tamboti
-First time seeing a reedbuck beyond Tshokwane
-First time seeing (witkwasmuishond)

My recent trip - fantastic! (Last longweekend) Just to be in Kruger, but would not go over long weekend anytime soon...... :evil:

A few highlight

-We departed only at 1 on friday 21 Sept. only to arrive at Orpen Gate 5 to 6!! :shock: Luckily no extra fines to be paid. By this time almost dark. On the gravel road towards Maroela just before turnoff to Tamboti we spotted glowing eyes on the road, everybody shouted at once, hyena.....no lion.......then finally the true identity revealed himself, beautifull male LIR......we couldn't believe our eyes. He crossed the road and sniffed a few bushes only to be swept away by the darkness, we were in aww and so gratefull for this amazing sighting. UNFORTUNALTLY the cams were still in the boot, what are the chances of seeing anything, right??!! O/ O/ O/

-Tamboti camp - felt so amazing to be back at this special camp, although just for 1 night. :-( Mr Honey Badger kept us awake for most of the night, and decided our tent was the lucky tent to chew on a empty sunflower oil bottle.....just imagine, but still awesome!

- Dead hippo seen from view point at Olifants look out, just amazing to watch approx 10 crocs tearing away at the carcass. And a hippo trying to fend of this "river vultures"

-Lots of trophy kudu bulls - \O

-Amazing scenery, to see the vast Olifants & Letaba river after the flood, stretching for miles on end...... ^Q^

- Lots of breeding herds of ellies

- This next incident was bitter sweet, so a highlight & lowlight
After a pitstop at Satara, it was time to move on to our next destination Letaba and at the t-junction we saw approx 20 cars!!! Something's cooking O/\ O\/ O/\ Then we saw what all the fuzz was about, a breeding herd of approx 500 buffs if not more :shock: Amazing to see them, they wanted to cross the road to get to the webcam for water I would presume but just as 10 of them crossed the road the cars blocked the path of the others to cross. So all hell broke loose when the 10 that crossed realised that they were alone and decided to go back. A few crazy people were blocking their way....it was chaotic....Finally a parks official arrived just to regulate trafiic which by this time almost 30 cars......Circus 0*\

Kruger you beauty.....upcoming trip in December......

Will post a few pics at a later stage

:-) :-) :-)

Somewhere in Kruger

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”