Satara Delight

Peter Betts

Satara Delight

Post by Peter Betts »

We hada great time 2 weeks camping in Kruger

I discovered a place called Nkaya Pan and it was brilliant for early morning photography as the sun was right behind me

Amoli

Re: Satara Delight

Post by Amoli »

beautiful.... ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Please post more - I will be camping in Satara for the first time later in the year... O:V

0() 0()

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Toko

Post by Toko »

O/\ O/\ O/\ A photographer's travel tale has started! Peter, this is a stunning [O]

0() More please, I can't wait ^Q^

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Gorgeous! More, please. ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
harrys

Post by harrys »

Yippeeee another TT, we are really being spoilt \O O/\ , Great photo of the Kudus Peter \O ^Q^ .

We will be staying at Satara in December O\/ O\/ , Where is this Nkaya Pan Peter, I'd like to check it out in December \O

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??
Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Stunning pic Peter. \O

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Good stuff! (Pete) :-)

Nkaya Pan is one of the best-kept secrets, about 15 km South of Satara! ^Q^

X#X

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Check the oxpecker right in the ear of the left hand Kudu...Amoli bring an electric drill for putting in your tent pegs and bring at leasta 4 pound hammer anda Bobbejaan spanner to take them out!! The ground is harder than Punda!! I wasw pleasantly surprised after not having stayed at Satara at all for 25 years (Balule, Tamboti, Orpen and Maroela being preferred to 'Las Vegas' but it was out of School hols in pensioners discount window = R100 odd per night. It was full of old oomies so nice...I usually was at the gate at 05h00 gate opening at 06h00 and was always no 3 in the que for the full 2 weeks with the same 2 guys in front of me. We really became good friends and chatted aabout everything Kruger..but mainly photography and they had kit...Nikon D800, D4 anda spare D700 and D3S plus a couple of 600 f4 Nikkors andthe fab 300 f2.8...I felt horribly underdressed next to them. The other 120 cars or so it seemed started piling up behind us at about 05h45. We 3 always decided to go different routes ...Like No 1 today would do H7 No 2 S100 and I usually begged for North onto the S90 turn right onto the S41 ...Gudzane East and Turn right onto the S100 with sun behind me and home to pick up late rising Jane to go for the mainly sedate non photographic drive (Light gone) to a picnic spot ...usually Nwanedzi or Mzanzene on S36

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

My GP from PE came and camped next to us with his wife and very kindly took us on a Bush Braai in the evening at Nwanedzi...We came upon this youngish Cheetah Male hunting near the H7 turnoff in the LAST rays of the sun after the crowds had left for gate close 5 mins earlier

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

At Nkaya pan early in the morning animals would appear at the far end and the ONE disadvantage of a full frame /non crop factor camera is that in situations like this you are normally undergunned so I would have to put on the 500 lens plus a 1.4 x convertor = 700 f5.6 but sometimes after their far end drinks they would walk around and pass quite close resulting in some great low angle opportunities

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”