Flutter No. 6 *

Flutterby

Re: Flutter No. 6

Post by Flutterby »

1 October Satara – Skukuza

We were up half an hour earlier today as the gates were opening at 5.30!! O:V We were heading down to Skukuza for 2 nights and we weren’t sure if we should stick to the direct route or take the back roads. We eventually decided to do the S100 (yes...again -O ), the S41, back on the H6 and down the tar.

GUESS WHAT WE SAW ON THE S100 O\/ O\/ O\/ ..... nothing! 0*\ OK...I’m exaggerating...we saw a monkey (edit that...baboon)! :O^

Can’t say that looks too comfortable!! :shock:

We had a quick look at Gudzani, but apart from a Saddle Bill, there was nothing happening. On the S41 the Brat spotted a very pregnant hyena having a drink. (Excuse the blur...that’s either the Brat’s or my dad’s head in the way! -O )

Some deceivingly small crocs.

A bit further on we noticed lots of vultures perched in the trees, then a foul stench hit us. O-/ We eventually found the carcass quite far into the bush, covered in vultures, and one Woolly-necked stork. There were vultures everywhere, and obviously parts of the carcass had been dragged closer to the road.

This hyena came skulking out of the bush, complete with drool!

The H6 was very quiet, apart from some ellies in the distance and these 2 LBR’s.

We got back onto the H1-3 and saw more ellies and another hyena just past Sweni. At Kumana, a herd of zebbies was drinking where the buffs had been the previous day.

We carried on towards Mazithi...would we have some luck there? :-?

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

1 October Satara – Skukuza cont.

We approached Mazithi and saw lots of cars. What was it? Buffs? Yes, a few. Zebras? Yes, a large herd. Wildebeest? Yes, a small herd. And what’s that over there? Lions? Yes!! 10 of them!! O/\ O/\

They were all on the right of the dam, watching the other animals with great interest. But I’m sure they all knew the lions were there. The zebras were very skittish and making lots of noise. The few buffs were closest to the lions under a tree but they didn’t seem too concerned.

After about 10 minutes of watching them, a lioness suddenly came up the bank on the other side of the road and walked past us. ^Q^

She was soon followed by this young male who didn’t look at all well.

Five minutes later another female appeared.

These 3 then crossed the road and made their way down the bank to the left side of the dam.

Some of the lions on the right were looking a lot more alert. :shock:

It seemed like the classic “pincer” set-up. You can imagine the tension amongst all of us!! O\/ The great thing about Mazithi is that there is so much space for everyone to park, with unrestricted views, so there was no stress there!

Anyway...enough pics for one episode...you’ll have to wait for the page to turn now!! ^0^

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

OK, I’ll put you all out of your misery!! ^0^

So, we were convinced that the 3 lions were going to come around the other side of the dam, but all of a sudden they turned around and crossed back over the road. We couldn't see where they went as there were too many cars, but we then decided that they were obviously not from the same pride!! :shock:

Three of the lions on the right side of the dam started to move closer to the buffs, using the long grass as cover.

Can you see the lion?

We thought it would still take a while for all of them to get into position when this youngster suddenly trotted out of the grass towards the buffs.

These two lions just watched and the buffs scattered.

The zebbies and wildebeest also scattered, but it was amazing to see how they and the buffs soon turned around and moved back closer to the lions! I suppose it’s better to keep them in view!

The buffs got closer and closer, and the youngster gave it another try....

...with the same result!! 0*\

The two in the grass turned around in disgust and walked back to the rest of the pride who were still sitting in the shade of the trees. These were obviously still very young lions that were trying their luck.

The Brat videod all of this, which I’m sure he’ll share with you...eventually! O**

In the meantime, quite a traffic jam was building up where the other 3 lions had crossed the road, so we thought we’d take a look there. And guess what, they were also watching some buffs!! O:V

However, I think it was more a case of wishful thinking than anything else. The young male looked in no shape to hunt and there was no way the two females could bring down a buff on their own. They moved closer to the buffs but soon gave it up as a bad idea and moved off into the bush!

But I would have to say that was is a first for us!! Two different lots of lions on either side of the road, both on the hunt! O:V O:V

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Great stuff FB ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ You got better pics then me ^0^

The 3 lions joined up with the other 10 later on :-? Had you left before that?

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Yes we had...so they were the same pride!! ;-)

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Not the best pic as I was roasting in the sun and half asleep by that stage, but a small preview of what happened later

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

=O: =O:

The last of the lions...some video of the 3 lions on the road. The Brat can show you "The Hunt"! -O

View My Video

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

We left the lions (obviously too soon :O^ ) and carried on to Skukuza. Somewhere along the way we saw this rhino who had a couple of fresh wounds.

We checked in at Skuks, and planned our afternoon route. Before our trip I had been keeping an eye on OD’s sightings group and saw that there was a Wild Dog den on one of the loop roads around Pretoriuskop. Plus, I can’t remember when I was last in that part of the park, so we decided to head that way. Another quiet drive with just some kudu to break the tedium!

Fighting with a tree! 0-

We got to Pretoriuskop and had a quick look at the camp, then went in search of the doggies....no luck!!! :-( We subsequently found out that the dogs had moved out of the area the week before! 0*\

We did see this raptor which I think is a Longcrested Eagle...not a great pic but a first for me in the park. O:V

We headed back to camp, and took only one pic on the way back!

I have to say that I didn’t really like the vegetation and landscape around Pretoriuskop, so I don’t think I’ll be heading back that way in a hurry. -O-

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

2 October Skukuza

As usual we were out of camp as the gates opened and headed down the H4-1. This boon was still fast asleep!

This Hamerkop was soaking up the morning sun.

Emerald Spotted Dove

One of the very few bushbuck we saw on this trip.

This ellie was not amused at having his breakfast disturbed and felt the need to show us who was boss! 0=

Having got that out of his system he went back to his cereal! -O

Toko

Post by Toko »

Black rhino is a rare sighting and feeding on grass even more ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”