♪♫ ♪♫♪♫ Somewhere Over The Rainbow♪♫ ♪♫♪♫

cheetah

Re: ♪♫ ♪♫♪♫ Somewhere Over The Rainbow♪♫ ♪♫♪♫

Post by cheetah »

Day 5 Morning Part 2

The answer from my father to my ouma, was the most predictable: "we need to find an animal to look at, so we can stop and pour the coffee" This did not impress my ouma at all! She had decided her neck was sore from looking to the right, and had resolved to looking out of the windscreen and having monologues about people the rest of the car did not know! It meant the pressure was double for me to watch where I am driving, and look right with great concentration so as not to miss anything! My oumas monologue was joyously interrupted when my father spotted a steenbokkie! We were now about 3km down the S65 and it was the first animal we had seen since the wild dogs.

Unfortunately, the steenbokkie was off into the bush too quickly to be a coffee companion, and I moved on hoping we could see some lazy lions to share our coffee with. Meanwhile, in the back seat, the monologue regarding tannie Lettie poking her nose in the business of Tannie Bettie was finally reaching its climax, and it was that time of the story where the listener gives a surprised gasp, or at least a grunt to indicate interest! I gave my compulsory grunt then quickly ceased the opportunity to mention how beautiful the terrain was with this green forest approaching.

There were no follow on comments forthcoming, and my ouma swiftly brought back the complaint that we had not stopped for coffee! The response from my father was most predictably to say that ouma didn't want to find us an animal to stop for coffee with. Image Deep down I knew this would not motivate my ouma to look out of the window! A new wave of complaints came from my ouma and my mom obviously backed her up, but there was no way my dad would waver from our Kruger Rule! It was getting a bit much for me so I stopped at the scenic waterhole on the S65 and parked the car so we could have coffee. This decision did not fare well with my father at all, and he insisted we drive onwards to find a coffee stop animal!!! Image

Well the Kruger seemed to find this situation rather amusing as it proceeded to hide all it's animals from us!! Image The whole of the S65 did not produce another animal after that Steenbokkie! I hedged my bets that Heksies ruckjumpers at klipspringerkoppies would save the car, but alas … they too were hiding!! Image

Turning right on to the H3, and left onto the S112 had no change of fortune. 29Kms and not an animal to share coffee with!! Then, a sign of life seemed to be on the road!!! The most welcome tortoise in the Kruger National Park history!!!!!
Image Image Image

The magical mugs of coffee were consumed! Oh joy!

All feeling a lot better, we could carry onto the S21! We encountered a lonely bull Elephant who told me I am too close to him!
I got many comments from my ouma and mom as to exactly what I must do! I decided that an increase of 5meters distance would chill out the Nelly, and so it did :)

I turned off the car and we enjoyed YET ANOTHER cup of coffee! Two cups in such quick succession! Image

The rather unusual sight of a Gerry lying down graced us next!!

And a squint, and very cute Lucy Mongoosy next to the road!!!

The rest of the S21 was rather quiet, and this was a stroke of good luck as my ouma's bladder was struggling to hold out to Nkuhlu after all this coffee!! We even loaded my mom out of the car and we all had a nice coffee overlooking the Sabi River! Image

Getting back into the car, we noticed this car did not respect the size of this buffalo enough!

Look at the ratio of flimsy car to tank-like Buff!!

Refreshed after our pit spot, the Kruger decided to smile upon us as Skinny malinks came walking down the road towards us!!!

Skinny malinks resembled my fathers lanky brother – uncle Peter!!

The impi warriors were as chilled as Eskimos with skinny around! Not a threat at all! Image

Then the icing on the cake, lying in the Sabi River bed, was a beauty that nobody seemed to see! I wonder how many people had driven past old Sandy today? :think:

with my fathers telleconvertor on, you could see she was saying 'You can't see me”

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Whew! Thank goodness you finally found the tortoise...even I was getting thirsty!! IO Great pic of the ellie...looks like he's coming into bowl!! -O -O \O \O

JustN@ture

Post by JustN@ture »

Great catching up again Cheetah \O
Stunning leopard sighting. :shock: :shock:
love the WD's too ^Q^ ^Q^
the ellie pic is great -O -O

Let us permit nature to have her way. She understands her business better than we do.
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

-O -O -O had a good chuckle on the conversation in the car.. ;-)

Skinny malinks is really thin.. shame. - and the dancing ellie was tops \O

great reporting Cheetah.. O:V

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Classic ellie pics =O: =O:

Great narration again ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

cheetah wrote: It is now a trend to do the bird names in Afrikaans because they more fun in Afrikaans -O
\O \O \O

Wow! A great report, and a massive leopard, cheetah! X#X

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”