An Almost-Christmas Visit *

The Spotted Genet

An Almost-Christmas Visit *

Post by The Spotted Genet »

'Where dips the rocky outcrop
grow baobabs of grey hue,
and beneath this ancient island
snakes the Olifants sure and true'
(With apologies to the marvelous W.B. Yeats)

Do forgive the poetic license taken in the above - not technically accurate, but hey...

So, yet another Park trip has come to an end :-( and it is time to revisit the glorious two days spent traveling the well worn roads and wishing it could all go on forever.

This was a memorable trip (well, they all are, but this had a few outstanding features) in that we saw WILD DOGS!!! O/\ O\/ ^Q^ something not experienced by us for a few years. Also, and bear with me here, a hare. This may seem an ordinary event to many forumites, but I have been going to the Park for many, many years and have seen a hare very seldom, I think I can count the experiences on one hand :-) . This sprightly, long-bodied and floppy-eared fellow was glimpsed not once, but 3 times (not exactly the same fellow, of course -O ). How odd is that? You don't see them forever, then suddenly three in one trip! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ The one I managed to photograph was rather sheepish looking, and sat dead still, clearly of the notion that he was completely invisible. When he realized that in fact his camouflage trick had somehow not worked, he was off like a flash of lightning. 0/*

The Wild Dogs. Well, what can I say? They were lying on both sides of the road, having a nap, after an obviously bloody feast, their ruffs sporting a giveaway shade of pink. What a privilege it was, to get so close to them. We used to see them on nearly every trip, especially in the southern parts around Pretoriuskop, but that was ages ago, and we had almost despaired of seeing them again. The tragedy of it is that every time I see a Rhino, I wonder for how much longer we'll be able to spot this majestic beast? I tell the kid to look well, because he may not be there in a few years time. What a crime. Has anyone else noticed that Rhino sightings are no longer on the board? In the interests of conservation. Sad sad sad :-( Anyway, not to ruin the TT with despondency and despair. Back to the glorious Painted Dogs, who posed so prettily (really, they were - just look at the pics!) They looked for all the world as if they were used to the paparazzi, which maybe they were. Sadly, as is typically the case with the paparazzi, one of the bum-faced ones drove right up to the basking Dogs and scared them off. Idiot. 0*\ O/ 0= Nonetheless, they were fabulous, and I hope that is a sign of things to come (ever the optimist). X#X

The Ellies, well, as always they were magnificent. How I love them, with their baggy broeks and wise, all-knowing eyes. Gentle beasts, I always think a pair of (large) spectacles and a book held in the crook of their trunk would complete the image of a scholarly old gent. As for the youngsters, I imagine them - hypothetically of course - in bright and colorful Bermuda shorts, with floppy sunhats, carrying pink, green or orange buckets and spades on their merry, boisterous way to the water, to splash about. -O -O -O We also saw quite a few Buffalo, a large herd on one occasion, and on another two gigantic males. They loomed larger than life, and looked like right cross and cantankerous old so and so's, which I imagine they actually are. 0'

We saw jackals, a pair, sniffing about a bush, clearly some terrified beastie inside was praying for a miracle, which may have come in the form of our car, as they ran off shortly after we arrived. Just got bored, maybe. We also saw quite a number of tortoises crossing the road. Is anyone else out there ever tempted to get out and help them across? Sadly, we saw one that did not make it, a tiny baby who was crushed :-( We always try and park so that they can cross safely, and gesticulate wildly if we see other cars coming ... If you ever see this bizarre behavior, look to the road - it could be us trying to help a tortoise or chameleon to cross! Or it could also be a bunch of maniacs ^0^

I must confess though, at the risk of having myself banned 0: from this esteemed forum, I made my SO get out once, and lift a chameleon to safety. We, along with another car, were watching this amazing character's painstaking progress to the other side, and when he was almost there, an individual who clearly had no clue, came roaring up, looked around to see if there were any obviously noteworthy animals, saw none, and sped up again, literally missing mister trapsuutjie by a whisker, so much so that he jumped up and curled himself into a little ball. The shock was too much for us - the kid and I got so excited that despite fear of reprisals and muttering about 'being arrested for breaking Park rules', SO got out and lifted the little guy the last few meters. I got a stern lecture, but to their credit, the inhabitants of the other car gave him a thumbs up \O as opposed to phoning the Park ranger and reporting us for serious criminal offenses. 0/0

Otherwise, the usual suspects - Zebra, looking for all the world as if they are off to bed in their striped pajamas, a lot of Waterbuck and Wildebeests, and not a cat in sight. Glorious vulture sightings though, many of those. And the Black-bellied Korhaan (is he still called that?)

Oddly, we don't seem to see Hyena much anymore, I'm not sure if they are becoming less prevalent close to the road or if its because we are traveling more North than we used to. I am considering a southerly trip next time, just considering mind you. I love Lower Sabie, so perhaps there, but I find the South becoming more and more overcrowded, with both speeding vehicles and people who really don't belong in the Park, perhaps a nightclub (where loud music is fine) or a race-track (where showing off is fine), but not the Park. Don't want to sound preachy or sanctimonious so I'll stop moaning now. :o0ps: Look at the pajama-clad Zebra :-)

I must mention on our last night there was a spectacular storm, all the power went out and the much-loved ritual of making a fire had to be abandoned. Fortunately, we had our trusty little stove so we didn't starve, and it was quite an adventure.

The kid thought it was so cool, and we had hopes of the road being washed away so that going home the next day wasn't an option... This was not to be though, and home we went. SO had to be at work the following afternoon so it was a rush getting out, bad enough having to leave in the first place, but having to leave so early was lamentable.

And that was that, pretty much. As wonderful as always, and very short. It always feels as if we arrive just before the gates close and leave first thing the next morning, it goes so fast. How we ever survived day trips I don't know, or even one night trips. Seems I've become spoilt ;-) because as they say - when the devil drives, needs must - and as such I am, out of necessity, planning a one night trip in January. Maybe in the south if all goes well. :-)

A very jolly, safe, merry Christmas to all at AW, I wish you lots of champers (or tea, whichever your preference) and good food with loved ones, and an excellent new year. 0/* 0/* 0/*

The earth we abuse and the living things we kill will, in the end, take their revenge; for in exploiting their presence we are diminishing our future.

Marya Mannes

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”