Took some pictures.
Came home.
-O

Moggiedog

Re: Short and Sweet

Post by Moggiedog »

keeping it short and sweet -

picture as requested - a word from the wise old owl -

What happens in Kruger and Tembe - stays in Kruger and Tembe!

Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

Yaaawn - sure you've all heard it all before....

and so much natter over sightings from one and all -

Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

Having had time to ponder on our trip, I may have chosen a wrong title. I should imagine the best place to start would be at the beginning. I will bounce past the fact I left Jill waiting at the aiport! (I had a very good excuse - thats my story and I am sticking to it). Alan was more privileged.He was met as he entered the arrivals area a week after Jill had arrived. Don't know why it took him so long to get from the plane to the terminal - but ask no questions!!

Time to pack for our road trip. Old faithful was soon packed to the hilt and ready to roll. Four adults in one bakkie, when my cameras have preferential treatment on the back seat, is not a pretty sight!

An uneventful trip - if a slow one- had us arriving safe and sound at Phalaborwa gate. Sable Hide our first stop. First things first - get rid of two passengers to enable bedding etc to be loaded into car!
Our adventure had begun!

Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

Sprocky - no problem - you had more important things to take care of - next time :-)

Great to see you guys still around for the ride. Always makes one feel good to have comments made.

We were fortunate in that we had been given the key and permission to go into the hide early. Had this not happened we would have looked worse than a LDV in africa carrying a load of 50 passengers! The drive to the hide was uneventful. A few sightings of general game then a very nice sighting of a breeding herd of hephalumps. Didn't stop for photo's as I wanted to get back to the gate for bedding so we could set up in daylight. Dropped the two ladies off with some of the bags and baggage - then it was time to fly back to the gate.

Keeping a careful lookout for the hephalumps we reached the gate with a few stops for general game. Once again - loaded up with bedding - headed back to the hide. This time the hephalumps showed themselves - we estimated about 80 elephant were heading down to water. Where the photo's you may ask. Camera had been unpacked at the hide - and was way out of my reach.

Time to set people to work.Bedding unloaded and the car still a total mess -

Image Image

Nothing nicer than watching some one else make your bed for you -O

Having performed this menial task - Alan was feeling rather chuffed at a job well done as he admired his handy work.

A lone male elephant sauntered down the far bank to slake his thirst - soon to disappear into the fading light.Image

The sun had sunk below the horizon and closed her eyes on Africa for the night. A sliver of moon - barely visible - hid behind some clouds. The sound of elephant breaking branches and playing in the water filtered through to the hide - but unlike good children they could be heard not seen. The smell of wood smoke permeated the night air as silence fell over the exhausted group of misfits. It didn't take long for the salivary glands to start watering as the meat sizzled and browned on the braai grid.

Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

An early night was in order and the soft sounds (polite way of saying "gentle snores")of sleeping people soon filled the Hide. Then a shout - "Whats that?" A bird was flying round the hide - dive bombing the sleeping humans. I lay silently laughing at the comments and actions that were happening from the not so distant beds!

The night was other wise silent. A full moon is definitely the better option at the hide. A couple of noises had me at the windows peering into the darkness - but nothing to be seen. Earlier in the evening a hare had bounced across the short grass - but even he was gone for the night.The distant sound of wild dog and a single lion roar heralded me into dreamland.

Early morning and a reversal of the procedures from the previous night. Quick cup of coffee and bedding loaded - back to the gate - back to the hide to pack passengers and off to Letabe for breakfast - and the treasure hunt for missing camera.

Jill was the photographer for the trip so we will have to beg and plead for her to share her pictures! Being totally scatter brained I had mislaid my camera. For the people who know me well - I am forever mislaying keys, camera's and anything else - then the hunt starts when I need them. Fortunately my head is firmly attached - although I have been known to lose it on the odd occasion.

It had been a slow day animal wise. The bush was extremely thick and water so plentiful - what self respecting animal would be close to the road when it could be hidden from prying eyes!. But no day is spent seeing "nothing" - Giraffe, elephant, impala and many birds were seen. Some in the distance - some closer. Plenty of bones were seen on the road but no predators.

We were greeted along the final stretch by ever vigilant eagle eyes.

Arriving at Shimuweni - my first thought -

Would Star still be alive? She and I had become acquainted on our previous visit - and she was long past her sell by date - even then.

The car was a good few tons lighter and it was time to relax and enjoy each others company. One thing about Shimuweni - you don't have to go much further than your porch to see things. Especially when the calm of the evening descends over the river.

Time for an early night. Tomorrow was a new day and only Mother Nature knew what she was going to reveal to the happy band of wanderers.

Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

The may have been a shortage of "hunted" animals but there was no shortage of beautiful sunrises.
Each morning I would go for a drive accompanied by either one or two of my fellow travelers. Most mornings mother and I would do our round trip and meet up with Jill and Allan in camp. There was plenty of general game and birds to keep us occupied. Hippo's wallowed in the river as graceful giraffe skimmed across the landscape.

Star had made her appearance and I was very happy to see her. I certainly did not expect her to still be alive. We quickly renewed our friendship and she was more than willing to come for a head scratch when I called her.

We did not have a parade of elephant walking past - but each day a single visitor made his way down the river bank then headed off into the sunset.

A tree held a fascinating collection of exoskeletons.

There is something to be said for relaxing round camp and not spending the day driving. We were entertained by birds and pervert monkeys.
The hornbill is always ready to bring a smile and a bit of laughter to the day.

ImageImage

On the far bank a saddle bill and his wife spent the day fishing. Every now and again making a mad dash across to the sand islands in search of tastier morsels.

A lone water-buck noticing the male of the herd was not in sight, strutted his stuff, only to be furiously attacked by the man himself. A short sharp battle ensued. It was finally ended when the attacker decided discretion was the better part of valor. With hanging head the game attacker slunk off looking defeated and lonely. At the time it was enjoyable to sit and watch - in retrospect - I regret not having taken any photographs. I was enjoying seeing it with the naked eye rather than through the camera lens. I will have to settle for the pictures framed in my mind.

Days and nights blended into new dawns and sunsets. Each day bringing something unexpected to be admired and appreciated. One evening on an afternoon drive a herd of impala crossed the road in front of us. This was not a normal herd - something was different.

Jillinflorida

Post by Jillinflorida »

0/* ~ back in Florida, visitors gone and it's just hubby, me and our Annie dog....and a whole load of plants 0= , which have NOTHING to do with this TT..

I shall start by saying - I slept in the bird house one night and one night was enough. One of my concerns were whether there was screens on the windows. Yes there were - mind you the holes were large enough for an army of critters to come through - of course even if the screens were intact they don't mention the huge gaps between the 'walls'. The walk to the toilets was fun in the depth of night....As I walked along the raised walk I thought ANYTHING could hop over this and I'd never even see them coming....well that thought made me walk a whole lot faster. (I should have woken MD as she said she would come with me to the facilities if I wanted her too)

The bird flying around was our fault. Silly us, we came through the door and disturbed the birds from their sleep. In the morning I reopened the holy windows and the bird was happy for it's release.

Jillinflorida

Post by Jillinflorida »

Here's MD saying hello to Star. I think I remember reading that in the wild they live about 10 years and Star was 25....

No idea why all the extra 'stuff' is showing...I'm just impressed I've managed to post a picture!

This spider seemed to hanging in mid air. Is it a Golden Orb? MD would know.

Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

Nature is not always kind - even to the most beautiful of birds. We past the effulgent feathers of a LBR brightening the stony ground.
ImageThe grey matter immediately wondered what had plucked the life from this bird. On a turnout to the river a giant tree stood majestically reaching to the sky.

Perched in its mighty branches, brightening the day, were eight of these beautiful birds. I cannot recall ever having seen so many in a single place before.

Sadly it was impossible to capture these decorations as the view through the lens did not have the same capabilities as the naked eye.

A fleeting glimpse of an Nyala as he made a dash for safety - away from the roaring monster that was rumbling down the pathway. A kudu lifted his majestic head and regally walked off into the thick bush. A couple of Giraffe looked disdainfully down their noses before continuing stripping the branches with their long black tongues.

This area was certainly spider paradise. Which ever way you look the strands of silver stretched across the road and between the branches. Suspended against the blue sky, these spiders waited in anticipation for winged creatures to be trapped in their deadly webs.

We had wanted to do a night drive but all the rangers were away on a training course - so this option was denied us. We would have to attempt this escapade at our next camp. Although the days had slipped away we still had a night left before heading off to our next adventure zone. But first the impala - it was a very big herd. Little ones with tiny horns starting to poke through the head. Some lazing under the bushes others keeping a careful watch over their family. A huge male crossed the road - sadly with a broken hind fetlock - as he limped his way under the trees, a few more followed. Towards the back of the group a beautiful female lifted her head. She, like her male companion, had a broken fetlock - but her's was the front leg. Somehow they had survived but both were obviously suffering and probably the kindest thing would have been a quick kill by some predator.

A final sunset over Shimuweni Image and a good nights sleep it was time to fly to our next destination.

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”