Sabiepark... on the stoep of the Kruger*

Heksie

Sabiepark... on the stoep of the Kruger*

Post by Heksie »

We are lucky enough to have a family house just outside Kruger, this is were my love started for this PArk and the bushveld, we have been going here since I just got out fo diapers and I have loved every single moment of it. Now in Dec 2012 we got to visit this place for 2 weeks and think about my wishlist so all I had on my mind was those golden cats-I haven't been able to have good sightings of them these past and I hoped that in this trip it would change to the better. And my luck hasn't been that good, leppies-yes them I see, doggies now they come and give me show and a half everytime we meet but those kitties with the golden glow they elude me or are always toooooo far for a great kiekie opportunity or they just stay for a few minutes.
Now the itenerary that was planned for this whole 14 days was a daily Kruger trip sometimes on my lonesome and sometimes joined by my mum or family. Was I lucky when it came to kitty cats? Yep you bet I was!!!!

We left Bronkhorstspruit at 2o'clock in the morning. I had trouble with my cars battery, it just needed a few tries before it started and before we left we checked the water and put some battery water in. The morning we left there were no hassles and off we went taking paradise road to the bush we all love. Everybody had different reasons for the trip. My 2 sisters wanted to rest and wanted to catch up on some reading (that means that they want to read about 15 books in the 2 weeks) the 2 snotties didn't care, they love the animals and wanted to swim and play and just make us mal all the time. Mum wanted to to see Krugs again as well as rest as she works 25/8. And then me------------->HELLOOOOOOOOOO... I want to be in Kruger and take a gazilion kiekies!!!!!

On our way to Sabie Park we got to see our first golden kitty and lucky for us, he was very chilled out and allowed us to take a kiekie of him.

On the Schoemanskloof road, a kiekie of my mum and 2 sisters with our very first kitty.

We got to Sabie Park in tgood time and unpacked and chilled for the day. Only the following day we went into Kruger the first time. We were up very early and as I started my noble squeekems nothing happened, she was as dead as a log. No worries we jump started her and with 2 cars we entered the Park. Our route was H11->S1->S65->H1-1 to transportdam->U-turn to Skuks->H3=>S113->S112->H11 to Sabie Park.

We only had general game on the S65 and had our first luck on the H1-1 just for mummy dearest as she loves her spotties.

Now as you know, my mum have bad luck with all the meat eating animals and as always it showed here again. We heard leppie and moved through the little roadblock to get a clearer view. We actually got a spot next to our spotted friend and he looked very agitated. I switched my car off and mum was engrossed in her kitty that was hidden in the horrible Pretoriuskop longgrass!!!!! He came towards us and hissed and snarled saying that we better back down, mommy dearest did not care and was taking kiekies. The JJ whispered 'madam close the window' where my mum exclaimed that cats love her and won't her.... Well at least it wasn't like the hyena where mum thought that she would be food... The cat just turned around there and dissapeared into the grass. We saw a far off ellie at Transport and somewhere on our route we had some unmentionables as well but a speeding women chased them away trying to find what I don't know...

We didn't see much further but I was afraid that it was because of the smell... We just started smelling a rotten/scrambled egg smell and it was chasing us everywhere. At Skuks we found out that it was us when I popped my bonnet...

Then on our way to the Gate we had this hyena sighting. He was busy with a carcass and didn't know what to do with the bones/flesh/meat, really very entertaining to see him running around.

We also had a baba imps on the road. They were so cute but they did grow alot in the 2 weeks while I was in Pretoors.

Then as we left the very friendly guard at the Gate informed us of a python baking in the sun. Well that was all he had to say to get me out of my car and searching for the fella. You could see him from the bridge.

It was a groot meneer about 2-3m long. And looks like he ate something because he was lekker fat. My sisters climbed into their car and sped off as they don't like snakes and as we climbed into our car nothing nada niks... my car was dead. We phoned them and jumpstarted my car again. At our house we tried again but the battery was gone, he went to vehicle heaven... we were in a frenzy as we only had 40 minutes to get to Hazyview and buy a new battery. well with my formula 1 instinct and killer sharpness we made it with 2 minutes to spare. They took my battery and threw it immediately into the garbage bin... NO hope they said, a battery cell exploded that is why we smelt egg the whole time. On our way back it just dawned at us that I stopped and switched off the car at the leppie, hyena and everywhere we saw sightings... Just glad it decided to start everytime otherwise we would've been in BIG trouble...

Well we didn't go to Krugs again that day and ended a great exhilirating day with a braai and Amarula.

to be continued...

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

30 Sept-4 Oct Lower Sabie

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Heksie

Re: Sabiepark... on the stoep of the Kruger

Post by Heksie »

Day 3: The start of my kitty luck
Now I decided before the trip to do 2 trips a day so that I can rest/read/build puzzles or do whatever a person can do during the hot summer afternoon to not be in the sun... So this morning I planned on driving H11->H1-2->H12->H4-1->H11 in 5 hours and so I left my family at home and packed some droewors and took on the road but before that I had to crave my morning addiction with some MMC and nothing goes better with it than...

After that it was time to take of and enter the Park. There were a lot of general game including g-raffs, zebs, willies and then on the bridge on Sandriver I saw my first pied kingfisher for the trip.

I then decided that maybe my trip planned was a bit short and then went on S21, a road that I have never taken before. I’m really glad that I took this road as it was a very beautiful road with a lot to offer. I had beautiful sightings and the other thing was much more to my liking was that this road is very quiet and at most I saw 5 cars passing me from the front and the JJ from the back. The only ‘gagga’ thing was that a JJ rushed past me at a horrible speed.
Here is some of my sightings on the road.

I spoke to people on the road and was informed about some lions on this road-how lucky am I that I decided to take this road? And also some bad news... A grumpy ellie was waiting for me and a horrible sighting...
Now the ellie at least moved on Phew! And there was no need to run with tail between my legs but then just past it my eyes got teary as they lay on this...

I strongly believe that it was the JJ. There are a lot of turns and twists on this road and animals are skittish when it comes to cars. Just a horrible accident that people don’t want to see in Kruger!
My heart was sad and I contemplated about the type of people that come to Kruger and why this is allowed in the Park. There are a lot of complaints about people breaking the rules and they are reported but I hear that not always something are done about this??? Just saddens me!
Now on a much happier note I was greeted by 2 cars in a mini road block, I crept closer, lo and behold a mooi man on my left hand side chilling underneath a bush. Pure bliss, I sat there for about 2 hours, because me with my eety beety fiat wasn’t in any cars way and the great thing about dirt roads are that people don’t like them. I enjoyed a beautiful specimen roaring next to the road and filling my heart with joy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W7-Dyd4 ... detailpage

I then left my golden kitty to move on. As I was on my way to go home I decided that turning onto the S1 was a much better bet. Well that wasn’t such a great idea... I didn’t have sunscreen and it was starting to get hot hot hot hot hot. I also got a message from my worried family... ‘where are you’ so I replied ‘on my way to Phabeni Gate’ I then refreshed at the Gate and decided to do the S3. I am actually glad that I took this road as I got a new lifer. It is a bearded woodpecker...

Very very happy I moved on and had some different sightings than normal. It was too hot for animals.

I got another message from mommy dearest ‘Where are you now?’ Where I replied that I am on my way to Kruger Gate. I had a lot of time so I went to visit my lions again and I stayed with them for another 2 hours. It was really a great start to my search of the golden cats of Kruger.
The day was ended with a KPA and lekker braaivleis and I passed out early to start yet another day in Kruger.

To be continued...

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Day 4... the search commences

I woke up this morning and packed my car for a morning drive(well lets hope that it is a morning drive) and off I went to go find the Kitties of the South. My route was H11->H1-1->H3->S113->S114->S21->H4-1->S1->S2->S3 today and I planned on being at home late afternoon. The lekker thing about Kruger Gate was that I wasn’t greeted by imps in the morning but without fail the first animals I saw entering the park was zebs. The road was very uneventful until I reached the S113/S114 crossing and was entertained by these cutie pies. They were busy scurrying around looking for seeds together with some hornbills. Now womething new I learned is that...
The Dwarf Mongoose has a mutually beneficial relationship with two Bird species, the Red-billed Hornbill and the eastern Yellow-billed Hornbill. The Mongoose and either of the Hornbill species forage together, eating the same prey, the Hornbills keeping their senses alert for the presence of threat animals, especially Birds of prey. The companionship allows the Mongooses to forage in peace, while the Birds benefit from creatures flushed out by the Mongooses. The Hornbills sound off with warning calls when a predator approaches, even warning at the sight of predators of Mongooses that are not enemies of Hornbills.
so this is actually a great sighting even though I have horrible kiekies.

At this sighting another car drove up, which was a friend that I met the previous day at the lion sighting, and we had a great chat, they actually sat like 6 hours with the lion males the previous day. Him and his wife were on the search for cheetah as they had a 7 year dry spell, they informed me that I should take the S21 again as they saw lions about 15km from here. They went down to Biyamiti weir and we said our farewell. And I took on the S21 again...
Then on the S21 a friendly tallhorse greeted me on the way.

I was bout 15km down on the S21 when a 4 car traffic jam said ‘halo’. They were all on the left hand side of the road and looking down. I got a spot in the middle but could only see the ears of a lioness. I saw a male lion sleeping as well but the view were shoddy. But that is where patience come in, after about 20 minutes of waiting the one lioness stood up and went to lie behind the one jeep. Nobody moved so I obliged, I drove behind the Jeep and had a lekker conversation with her.

She moved back after 10 minutes or so then I moved back into my place. Still very gaga kiekies for 20 minutes and then the 2 ladies decided that the road is much better place to go lie down in. I again reversed out of my spot and the one occupant of the Land Rover looked at me like I had a screw or two loose. They were checking out the male and had front row seats to him. I just wanted to see lions, didn’t care male, female or cub. I was about 3m from them and had prime view. No one else even moved an inch as they were hypnotised by the male.

And then it happened. The male decided that he wanted to join his two lady friends in the road. YAY I had the best view and all the other cars had to make u-turns and stand behind me and next to me. See it pays off when you don’t always go for the best. My cam was going berserkers...

I was blissfully happy and so excited about this sighting. I never in my whole life thought that it could get any better. But I counted my chickens before they hatched. The female walked to the male and the next scene played 2m from me. They were so close that I couldn’t get the both of them fully in my camera frame.

I was about 2 hours with those beautiful kitties and then decided to move on. I had a great sighting of a martial eagle then I found 2 piggies.

And then another surprise sighting, on the S1. She was a bit far and my kiekies are very bad but it is proof. Today has been a great day in the Park.

Now if you drive the S3 and you are about 3km from the H11, then you get a view from Krugs into Sabie Parks' picnic spot, here is what it looks like,

I went home very happy that afternoon. It was about 3o’clock and time for a MMC. Yes mum thought I was a bit mad drinking coffee in this heat but I had to celebrate my sightings for the day. I had a big smile the whole day and couldn’t wait to see what the rest of the trip could bring forward. We had a lekker braai and as it was Christmas eve prezzies were given to the snotties. We enjoyed ice cold KPA’s underneath the Kruger skies and chatted till 21:00 when I decided to go to bed as another day in the Kruger awaits...

To be continued...

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Day5... What a way to spend Christmas
I woke up this morning a bit upset, my sisters SO and his family would be joining us this festive day. Now having them over isn’t a problem but my Kruger time is being cut short-I have to sign in my sisters entourage and I was told that I have to be back at Sabie Park by 10:30 because they can be there anytime between 10:30 and 11:30. So very negative I am for not spending as much time as I want in search of amazing sightings. I decide that because the S21 has been so good for me that I will try it again from S112. So off I go, on my search of kitties with a golden shimmer. General game is to be seen everywhere, imps, zebs and g-raffs then I get the corner of the s114/s21 and a lady greets me from a rock.

She decided to lay low and then basically I couldn’t see anything, people came from the S21 and asked me what I was looking at. It was bad telling them that they just missed a lioness. The law of the Kruger... be at the right time in the right place. They also told me that not to worry as about 5km down the S21 there is a pride of lions in the middle of the road. YAAAAAAAAAY !!!!! So I drove this road which hasn’t made me regret it once! Now I know why people love this road. There were lions in the road just as they said, but not a pride. Just two males and the best thing was that there was only one car. The older one walked into the bushes while the younger male stood in the road. They were the same males I’ve seen on my first S21 drive.

He walked into the bush as well to join 3 ladies, which I only saw later but they were hidden well.

I spent a good few hours with them and at a time there was a heavy traffic jam, just glad that I was all settled in my lekker spot. I then went in a conversation with the one JJ-driver and he informed me about a wild dog sighting on the Hamiltons loop which was about 7km from us. I waited for the jam to be spread thinner and I went to see doggies on Christmas. There was unfortunately nothing and time was against me, I also hear about a leopard on the S113/H3 but I had to go back to Sabie Park, why did I have to go sign them in. On my way to the Gate I saw the following...

The Christmas feast was divine with ice cold KPA’s and champagne. Couscous salad, chicken, gammon and corned beef roast. We ate like bushmen and had a meringues roulade type of thing for dessert. We spoke about the Park and the fact that there aren’t any fences, they read at the entrance about the leppie but I commented that the leppie in the park is only a urban legend, in 24 years no one in our family has seen the Kruger leppie, so according to us people are seeing mirages. I just checked my watch the whole time during this family feast and drinkin gtoo much champers as the heat was unbearable, at 15:30 I had enough and said to the guests that it is time to say their farewells, before you guys think I'm horrible I just have to add that they were an hour late the morning... They only arrived at 12:00 so I could’ve checked out a leppie this morning... They agreed because they had to drive back to Nelspruit. We said our goodbyes and I was off to Kruger. At the Gate I was greeted by ellies.

as well as a warno

I went back to the Hamilton loop and was greeted by about 10 cars. All bakkies and here I was with the very small Getz. I saw absolutely nothing, I was just too low. I waited for 40 minutes because I was checking my time and didn’t want to be late or speed in the park. I gave myself another 5 minutes and then it happened. I heard the yelping of dogs and heard them running in the grass. They were active for a good 2 minutes in which I got 1 shot.

I was so glad that I got to see my doggies (or just 1 dog) on Christmas. On my way to the Gate I had the following sightings.

I was about 4 km for the Gate when I received a phonecall from mommy dearest in which the following was said.
Ma Heks: ‘Heksie there is a leopard in our driveway!!!!!!!!!!!’
Heksie: ‘Don’t lie’
Ma Heks: ‘No man, I took photos with my phone!!!!!!!’
Heksie: ‘Ja whatever!’
I can hear the excitement in my mums’ voice but I truly believe that she is lying. I phone her back and ask her if she is and she replies ‘No’ that she isn’t. Now I’m very excited and I push on towards our house. I get in our driveway and nope nothing nada niks... Where is this so-called leppie? My mum wait outside and I cram her, my sis’ SO and a snottie in the car and we go leppie hunting. At least there are no time restraints here!!!! And guess what? I drove right past him. I turn around and he decides to lie flat in the grass. Sorry the pics are dark as this was almost 7 already.

We wait and wait and wait and wait and after 20 minutes he stands up and takes a stroll down our drive way.

As you see there in front, if you turn you are about 10m from our stoep. He walks straight into the bush and disappears into the bushes like he was never there. That night we celbrated Christmas with ice cold KPA's and had a lot of exciting stories to share we were also looking around in the dark as there are mos no fences around the houses and we didn't want another surprise visit from our spotted friend. I passed out very early to take on another day in Kruger.

To be continued

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Day6...a family daytrip

My sisters SO is staying with us for a few days so today we decided that he needs to discover Kruger. We had our own little 3 car convoy today and the route was H11->H1-2->H12->S30->S29->H10->H4-2->Gomodwaneloop->H4-2->H4-1->H11 a long day is definitely waiting for us. After packing the neccesary padkos (droewors, biltong and buttered buns) we get in enter the park, our first greeting was from zebs and here is one of the babies...

And we came upon this group of banded mongoose. They are a lot more skittish than the dwarfies. It was also drizzling so they were very wet.

Then very sad as I love seeing snakes but mostly only see them run over by other cars. Here was a transvaalse brown house snake (I think) that was run over earlier that morning. What a beautiful snake. I also saw a giant land snail and a frog.

On the H12 high water bridge we were entertained by these baboons. They grabbed the attention of a lot of people.

And there were a tree full of these Amur Falcons. We got predator spoor but no one to claim them... And on the S29 a Wahlberg flew past our car. We also had a small herd of buffs that greeted us in the road, there were a few on our side, we got one scratching himself, was really something else to see.

A lifer for me was this red billed quelea. They always fly everywhere so this was the first time that I could photograph one.

We got an ellie having a mud bath, didnt' know why as it was drizzling almost the whole morning...

We had lunch at Lower Sabie, it was actually very nice. I never expect anything from the restaurants, I just hope that they are edible but this lunch was delish. The pizza that was ordered for the snotties was munched up by the grownups. And the service was good too. Well done LS. We haven’t seen any lions and then a Good Samaritan told us about lions on the Gomodwane loop. Off we went to charter the unknown. On our way I had a close encounter with a g-raff. This road was absolutely horrible though, we were in a 20 car convoy so you really couldn't stop or slow down as they were driving on your bumper... not something that I would like to experience again...

And I was about 20min in a roadblock because of these okes after the Gomodwane loop, we were on our way back to LS and still saw no kitties.

Then on the H4-2 we found this mating pair, it was just 200m S of the Northoern Gomodwane entrance. They were about 100m into the bush and well hidden between the grass, one of the reasons why I like small cars, got this spot between bushes, the bakkes had no view at all.

Then we came upon this beauty in a tree. He kept us busy for as long time, but the traffic jam was building up so we had to move on.

After him we learned that we missed a failed hunt and saw the 3 ladies retreat into the bush.

We stopped at Lower Sabie again for a body break and my mum decided that she will drive the Gets for the last stretch. I was in the back with my old squeekems and I came upon a good roadblock cause there was a big breeding herd of ellies crossing the road, I was about 100m from them but I could hear that something wasn’t right! The one ellie was trumpeting furiously and as I got a clear view of them I saw a stupid white car in the middle of the herd!!!! I thought by myself what moronic person would go ahead and do that? As I got closer-still at a safe distance I recognised the number plate!!!!!! It was the Getz with my mum, sis and 2 snotties in????? Dare to say they survived and got a good scolding from me later on!!! Now they are afraid of ellies, if one just farts their way they run with their tales between their legs. On Ntwamhiri causeway we had a great sighting of this saddle bill, the causeway was actually flooded because of the rain the previous night, strange how the weather can change as it was hot as hell the day before.

We just missed a leppie sighting of the year on the H11. I just caught a glimpse of her jumping out of the tree but someone told me she was there for about 5 hours. Now why did we go and stop for every single birdy and animal. But it’s fine, we had an awesome day and great sightings were seen and new birdies were ticked off and a lot of laughter and joyfulness we had today (and for others the fright of their lifes) Tomorrow will await with new adventures to be taken in the Park. We heated up some left overs from our Christmas lunch and popped open a few beers, with lots of talk we ended another wonderful day in paradise.

To be continued...

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Day 7... my first babies
Now with those golden kitties I have never been so lucky in all my years that I’ve seen cubs. It was only something that I saw on other peoples' kiekies or heard from them but never experienced myslef. So what a surprise this day turned out to be when my first eety beety kitties was spotted.
The day began just like any other, when I drove alone it was one of three roads I took (H1-2 or S114 or S65) as they were all beautiful roads that brings forward amazing sightings. So this morning I had a aching for the Watergat causeway and thus I moved towards the S65. When I drive alone I always get to thinking-and I think that it is maybe dangerous thing for me to do. I always thought about if I could get a house anywhere in Krugs that it would be 4.8km S of the S1 on the S65. There you can sit for hours underneath the canopy of leaves and look over the causeway. As I drove closer to the so-called causeway and what is in front of me? A 4-car roadblock... And why not? This was home for the next few days to a lioness and four cubs. Here they are (they were about 150m from bridge)

A lot of cars started coming so I moved on. I then decided that a short drive will only be happening today. You can really start feeling it if you drive 10+ hours a day. So my drive would be H1-1->H3->S112->S114->H1-1->H11->H1-2->S83 (maroela loop)->H12->H4-1->H11. The ladies on the corner of S21/S114 didn’t disappoint, a lady was lying on the rock checking all of the cars out from a higher vantage point. She was at eye level with no grass in the way and posing beautifully.

I left the beautiful lady and on my way to the H1-2 had some great general game for the rest of the drive. Mainly on the tar road which was very strange, at least the roads weren’t very busy. Maybe it was because everyone were on their way to LS?

I believe this is African Hawk Eagle which is a lifer for me, but I might be wrong with my ID...

This was one of my best sightings for the day as we don’t see them alot in the South. I was very surprised to see 4 of these amazing animals on the H1-2 just after Low level bridge.

Then on the sandriver low level bridge I had a grey heron.

I then took the West entrance of the S83 and in about 5km I saw 2 cars and as I crawled up to them they were nice enough to point me into the direction of some male lions. They informed me that there were two but I could unfortunately only see one.

I stayed there for a while but it became a bit crowded and the sighting wasn’t very lekker. I was on my way again and towards home I saw the following on my way home.

The rest of the day I chilled at Sabie Park with a book in the hand a KPA on the table next to me. We had a lekker braai that afternoon with wors, pap and sheba. Enjoyed the campfire till late and then we were off to sleep as I was to meet tannie VVV and Mads the following day at Lower Sabie 14:00. They would come from Satara and we were to meet late and I would prefer organising a day drive than drive to LS only the afternoon so a full day was planned and it meant an early night for me.

To be continued...

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Day 8...kitties here, there, everywhere
Now unfortunately I have to bore you guys with the longest episode of the whole trip. This was a lucky day indeed with a lot of sightings, because I was to meet tannie VVV and Mads at LS @ 14:00 and it was just 70km from me, I decided to take the scenic route which was H11->S1->S65->H1-1->H3->S112->S114->S23->S114->S26->S25->croc bridge->H4-2->lower sabie->H4-1->H11-> home. Yes it was a long day but oh so exciting.
The day started like any other, me packing in some droewors and biltong with a bottle of water. Me entering the park all by my lonesome and engaging with nature like a longtime friend. I drive past a few general game like the zebs which greeted me everyday when I entered the Park. I decided to check out the kitty family on the S65 causeway but was surprised by a male about 1km before the causeway. So here was KITTY #1

I sat some time with the handsome fellow when and then decided to move one. As I thought, the mommy was on the causeway again but a few metres closer as the previous day. They were very chilled on the sand but soon decided to move towards the side where some shade was waiting for them. KITTY #2

On the tar road a small surprise waited for me. I just love seeing these fellas in the Park and always make sure they get to the side of the road safely.

On the S114 I was surprised to have 2 different slithering sightings but unfortunately they move so fast across the road that I only could stop for them and not take kiekies. I just know the one was brown and the other one was black with a white belly. All I have as proof is their prints in the sand...

Things that I could take pics of was this friendly giant.

It was very quiet on the Biyamiti weir road and I was kept busy with this francolin family.

And taking in the beauty of the veld, the flowers are amazing in summer and you see colour everywhere you look.

As well as kitty prints-I always get so hopeful when I see them, then I know those whiskers aren’t as far off, I aslways keep an eye on the road for if the owner of the prints may present himself but have never been so lucky.

I was so glad that I looked into the road otherwise I would’ve gone straight into the back of a bakkie. There was a 2-car jam and I waited patiently behind the bakkie to see what they were watching. But then I heard something right next to my car... YAY it was KITTY #3 for the day

It was 3 females with 4 cubs. They became restless and decided to walk towards the weir in the road. How exciting was this? They were so close and in full view. The one female decided to stay behind in the bushes. But a problem arowe, my car started getting a bit heated and I quickly switched off my car, so I was following the bakkie at a safe pace, foot on the brake pedal that had to be stomped through the car as it was off and trying to take kiekies... At least I didn't drive into the bakkie

The disappeared into the bushes just before the weir and the other car decided to move on. I watched a grey heron on the weir and then moved back to where they were to check out if they would come back. A car passed me from the front and as I got the spot I saw them first, the third female came from the bushes and I followed her to where the other went into the bushes. They just missed a great lion sighting...

The rest of the way was a bit quiet with a shy bushbuck that didn’t want to pose for a kiekie and some ellies. On the causeway when you just get on the S25 from the S26 I got a beauty of a hamerkop.

And then a highlight of the day!!!! Another snake crossed the road but from the other side and I got to take 3 kiekies before he disappeared. It was a vine snake----MY FIRST ONE!!!!

The S25 have a lot of general game, warties, g-raffs, zebra and willies. A great road to drive but I believe not enough view of the croc river. I had a quick stop at the CB camp to go to the loo and buy some ice cold water. It was 12:30 and I had 90 minutes to get to LS. I stopped at Gezantfombi and some buffs were chilling in the dam.

It was very hot and the wartie the passed me just showed me what I was missing whilst I’m in my car-how does a lekker mud bath sound when it’s 37 degrees?

Just before the N entrance of Gomodwane loop (S130) I had a lekker surprise. I had a good spot checking out KITTY #4

There were about 6 lions in total and this female was right next to the road. I saw the one lioness going down as a impala came closer but they ran away quickly. The rest looked very lazy.

Time was ticking and off I went to LS. I quickly crossed the low water bridge to check out how beautiful the restaurant deck was. This is one of the things that I never grow tired off.

Tannie V and Mads were a bit late so I enjoyed an ice cold KPA on the deck. They came and we had a lekker chat about their trip and the amazing leopard sightings they had at Punda. I can’t wait for their TR!!!!! (Actually they could've waitied longer as they had the most brilliant sightings, caracal, genet babies incl) We also had a ice cream, it was 16:30 when we had to wave farewell because I still had to get to Kruger Gate and they to Croc bridge. It is always nice to see mites in the Park and they were some of the few. On my way back I saw the following:

KITTY #5 on the H12 bridge

I got out of the Park with about 20 minutes to spare. A braai was already in process, I got a KPA from the freezer and shared my many sightings with my family. How jealous were they about this. Sometimes it really pays off to be in the Park the whole day, you just have to be in the right place on the right time. I tell you the more hours you spend in the Park the better your sightings...

To be continued...

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Day 9... Spots everywhere I look

Now after yesterdays very lucky day, mamma heks decided to join in on the drive this morning. We packed in some droewors and biltong together with cold water and off we went to the Kruger @ 5:15. Our route for the day would be H11->S65->H1-1->S114->S112->H3->H1-1->H11 this morning. Mum went in with high hopes to spot some leppies the day. So we drive very slowly on the lookout for some spots. Again our first animals were the zebs and then on the S65 a cute little duiker waited for us in the grass.

Also a Juv Wahlberg I believe...

And then on the tar road one of our favourite birds walked past us.

The rest of the road was very quiet until we came upon a little road block on the S112. We stopped and looked into the grass but nothing was there... What are the people looking at? The bakkie in front of us waved us forward and said we should stop next to them, they showed us that in the tree almost right above us were something having breakfast. At last mums wish came true. The kiekies aren’t great but still it is proof.

We sat with her for about 30 minutes and then she decided to leave her meal and move off into the bushes. We moved off and came upon these beautiful specimens somewhere I cannot remember.

Then another little roadblock stopped us. We saw 3 male lions in the grass and this was one of my worst sightings but oh so exciting. These 3 males were chilling in the high grass and then a ellie approached them, he trumpeted a few times and then those majestic males made like kittens and scattered. It was very funny how we depict them as the kings of the bush and then a situation like this let them seem as somewhat less. There were too many cars as this was on the H3 so I don’t have pics to show but the memory of this episode still lingers freshly in my head.

Because I went into the Park daily I started befriending the JJ’s of Echo Africa and we shared sightings as well as chatted while sitting at some of them. The one whispered at this sighting that I had to go to Kwaggaspan as there was a mating pair. Oh YEAH!!!! I drove off and then eish how I regretted it as there were a jam of and a half there as well. We got to see them and were at a time smack in the middle of the jam.

My car started overheating because of some absurd reason and we waited for people to move off so that we can just go back home. Well it was a bit impossible as the lions stayed in the main road and between us and the way we have to go back! A car drove past me and quickly greeted me bay saying ‘Hi Heksie’ I still don’t know who it was as he didn’t linger long enough to get his name, he didn’t even have a ribbon on his car. How strange was that? We sat for 20 minutes and then tried to push on through the crowd. Here is the lady sitting in the grass.

My car wasn’t getting any better so we went straight home. Where I had an ice cold KPA and we chilled for a few hours. We then propped the rest of the family into the Getz and then went back into the park @ 14:00. We decided to take the route the other way round this afternoon what we took this morning. My sister wanted to see the leppie as well and because it had a kill we checked the same tree out but nothing was there, no imp and no leppie. I later found out that the leppie took the imp out of the tree and deeper into the bushes. But there were no worries as we approached the S21/S114 intersection and again a little roadblock. Yep, you guys guessed right! Another leppie, this time a beautiful male on the rocks posed for us.

On the H3 we were lucky to catch the mating pair again but it was a quick glance because we didn’t want to be in the roadblock and we turned toward Skuks we had another encounter with kitties. They were in the small riverbed just 500m from the S112 intersection. Very strange seeing two lion sightings about 1km from eachother on the same road.

Another unmentionable sighting somewhere along our route...

We crossed paths with a breeding herd of ellies as well.

Time was catching up on us and we had 20 minutes till the gate closed. We just turned on the H11 and started to relax as there was 4kms to go to the gate. Then as we drew closer to the gate I saw 1 car stopped on the right hand side of the road. I thought it was rather odd but then scanned on that side. And would you guys believe what was next to road not more than 1km from the Gate? Another female leopard sitting on a rock? It was unbelievable!!!! A car stopped next to us and ‘n oom asked what we are looking at as we directed him to the leppie he was the most happiest person in the park because he was looking for a leppie his whole trip and couldn’t find any and he was on his way out of the park. We really enjoyed this goodbye sighting and left the Park very happy and very late as it was past 18:30.

Another successful day in the Park. Because we got home so late we made tuna pasta with fresh salad and just enjoyed the night. A few KPA’s were consumed over a lekker fire to celebrate our sightings as mum was in her best mood, she saw her spotties today and that is the only thing which is on her list....

To be continued...

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Flutterby wrote:Wow Heksie!! :shock: What witches potion do you brew to conjure up these magical sightings??? -O Even more cubs!! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
OK Flutts here is my brew which you should try next time before entering the Park \O

-One lekker cup of coffee with a generous dash of Amarula
-Maybe a second cup to bring with just for in case
-100g of droewors or biltong to snack on when you drive
-1 packet of menthol cigarettes and do remember an ashtray as we frown upon stompies in the Park 0=
-absolute no music in the car
Stir them all together and I tell you there will be special sightings druing your trip X#X

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Day 10… a short drive is all I needed
Driving in the Park is all I really want to do-I think of it all the time, now sitting on the couch with the laptop on my lap I’m just wishing my days by until I will be in in the Park again, 106 days to be exact until my 31 day camping excursion. Now saying it, waking up every morning at 4:30 can be exhausting and it started getting harder every morning to be bright and shiny. Ek was besig om baie moeg te word… A whole day was planned for my lonesome and on I went just like every other morning. I packed in some droewors and water to keep me going during my animal stake outs and I entered the park after drinking a MMC on my stoep. Here is a pic of the famous stoep on which I spend so many mornings having spiked coffee.

My route was H11->S1->S65->H1-1->H3->S112->S114->H1-1->H11. More was planned but not necessary.
I was blessed in having had a lot of carnivorous sightings within 20km of the Gate and I was spoilt rotten that is why I did not think twice about driving certain routes time again. The S65 had a special stripy surprise for me this morning.

Then I went to go look at the H3/S112 lions again and alas they were there again. There were two males and then one female lazing in the sun,

The loving couple moved into a drainage pipe to get some undisturbed time and off I went. There were still one male showing off but it started to get crowded. I turned into S112 and drove for at a snails pace when one of my JJ-buds passed me, after a few meters he turned around and drove passed me again waving for me to follow him. How glad I was that I did because as they say in the KNP: “you must be at the right place at the right time” truly played a role here and if it wasn’t for him then I would not have had this great sighting. Not even 2 km behind me they appeared from the bushes and I would’ve missed them completely. THis mommy was trying to pick up her cub...and was failing miserably

The JJ actually told me to move in front of him as my car was smaller and they can see over me... So I got to be right next to them cats...

After following them for a few metres they moved into the grass, we believed towards their spot yesterday on the H3. I waited for about 20 minutes but they didn't pop-up so I went on my way.

This was a super exciting sighting and seeing babies so close up was just breathtaking. I was happy with my sightings for the day and just decided to visit Lake Panic on my way out of the Park. There was no one else there and it was both calming and scary being there by myself.
A Jacana

A new one for me, the thick billed weaver

A beautiful lily in bloom

And as I was on my way back to Sabie Park a yellow billed kite said his farewell.

Not as long trip as I normally did in the Park but still full of amazing sightings and always surprisingly beautiful. I left the Park to chill out the rest of the day, bury my nose in a book and maybe have an afternoon snooze. We did decide to have an afternoon drive through Sabie Park, we went to visit what we call 'seekoeigat' the picnic spot and here is the view from our side into Kruger.

We also saw some kudu and baby willies during our drive,

Another great day in the bush and ending of today with some chicken sosaties and KPA was the cherry on top...

To be continued

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”