Pooky back in Satara *

pooky

Re: Pooky back in Satara

Post by pooky »

Richprins wrote:Interesting to see Orpen Dam so full, pooky!

No need to feel vulnerable? -O-

At that time of year sausage trees are like waterholes for a myriad of birds, mammals and insects! On purpose! \O

Male giraffe have "bald" horns as they smack each other's sides during fights, and looking at this one it has fight scars! But this takes it to a ridiculous level! :shock:

Post here: viewtopic.php?f=243&t=2747 and I'll send it on! \O

Thanks Richprins.I have posted the pics. \O If fighting was the reason for the short 'horns' this guy was a fighter of
0*\ 0*\ note

Yes nice juicy flowers to eat - just don't park under the tree when the 'sausages' are hanging =O: =O:

Orpen dam is very pretty \O \O

Satara 30 Sept - 7 Oct

Botswana June/July 2018
pooky

Post by pooky »

Sunday 21stSept. 2014

We packed up early and were ready to leave just after gate opening, but when we went to start the car there was
just a click 0*\ - no battery O/ Who left a light on, or a door open :-? After jump starting the car we were on our
way. The road was quiet until about halfway. Then about 5 meters from the road lying in some ash was a lone cheetah. He was beautiful and didn't run off at all. As was the norm the car was switched off, to make for better
photos :-)

Photos were done and it was time to go. We all figured that the car had gone far enough to put some charge into the
battery - how wrong we were - just a click. :shock: We were on a slight incline but with an off-road trailer in tow it was impossible to roll back and get enough speed up to start the car. There was nothing for it but to unhitch the trailer :shock: My SO got out the car -we were all watching the cheetah. He didn't move just watched us. I also got out
to help with the trailer - but my eyes never left the cheetah :o0ps: The car rolled back passed the trailer and started. ^Q^ Only then did the cheetah run about 20 meters away. By this time 3 other cars had arrived. They just sat and
watched us too, the one car drove passed us and gave us such a black look. Certainly nothing to be proud of but we had
no alternative :o0ps: 0*\ Thankfully it was a cheetah and not a lion. That would have delayed us tremendously :-)

Further on was a traffic jam with a big male lion lying in the road. As we arrived he got up and walked off - not looking our way at all (no switching off the car now!!)

He gave us one look through the bushes and was off again.

Lastly in the open area at the Mareola turn off was a very tired jackal.

Then it was out the Park until March 2015!!!

Thank you for following my TT and allowing me to relive the trip. ^Q^ ^Q^

By the way, the battery never recovered, it had a dead cell and an emergency call out was made in Centurian for a
replacement battery before we hit the long road in the morning :O^

Satara 30 Sept - 7 Oct

Botswana June/July 2018
pooky

Post by pooky »

Richprins wrote:Thanks for a lovely story, as always, pooky! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Humans don't need to worry about cheetah..no attacks in the wild that I know of! ;-)

Not much need to worry about lion either, IMO, unless it is at night, a mating couple, or mom with cubs! \O (Just my experience...so don't take it to the bank!)

Cheetah are the least concerned about vehicles, of the big cats...normally lions will run away first! ^0^
Happy to have you on board RP, glad you enjoyed it 0/0

The cheetah wasn't concerned at all, but, in spite of what you are telling me about lions,I wouldn't risk it at all =O: =O:

Satara 30 Sept - 7 Oct

Botswana June/July 2018

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”