Impressions of Kruger - October 2014*

Amoli

Re: Impressions of Kruger - October 2014

Post by Amoli »

The road was fairly quiet up to about a kilometer from Tihonyongeni w.hole.
There were some wildebeest and a Kori bustard.
My previous 3 pics in total of kori bustard were all I had ever taken as my sightings were very short.
This time round I sat watching for a long time.

And then this vast area unfolds in front of you – you’re in it before you know it.
I drove through the bends to the where I felt the magic stops, then I turned round, sat, looked, took pictures, drove a little further, sat took pictures, just looked. When I got to the other end, I would turn round and do the exercise all over again.
This place was Kruger heaven to me.
Maybe because there are so many animal bones lying around, maybe animals come here to die, I don’t know – maybe like an animal church - it was just awesome.

What struck me was the order and timing of happenings. Each one to their own space – living together somewhat in bush harmony.
I think it was because there were a lot of animals condensed in this space that I noticed it here more than I had noticed it anywhere else in the park.

Here are some sightings of this wonderful place…

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

And some birdies ^Q^ ^Q^

Sabota Lark

Yellow breasted bunting – juv – I think

Green winged pytilia

Namaqua dove

Klittiz’s Plover

Starling

Lilac breasted Roller

and much more.. \O

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

And some unknown birdies :-?

Maybe African pipet

I did see an Ellie, but he was not the chasing kind. :X:

I did this loop two days in a row and I would do it again when I am in the Mopani area.

I loved it.

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

I will call this delivery : Facing the giants……

At about 1.30am on Thursday night, I woke with a terrific wind blowing my little tent from side to side.
It dawned on me that my gazebo was not anchored down with storm ropes…… (a lot of practice at the Vaal Dam)
I got up and saw big clouds rolling in the wind with extreme force…. :shock:

I hung on to the cover of the gazebo wishing I didn’t rely on the good weather I had while setting up camp. 0*\
I was asking into the wind what to do– must I first attempt to drop the poles, or must I first undo the top…oh please, send me someone that will help me. :O^

I wasn’t scared or panicky, yet I knew I had to do something if I didn’t want to find my gazebo half way to Olifants the next morning.
The wind went still again…. Oh where do I begin. :-?

All my life my Dad took the important decisions, and then my hubby. My son learnt from them and everything was made easy for me so I don’t sukkel. Lately my grandson Efjay has been at my side…. Now I am alone, and I must make a decision.

Each time the wind went still, my ears echoed – just do it!. :yes:

So, I did it. I started in the corner facing the wind and dropped the leg and started undoing the top…..
and then my neighbor popped her head around her tent and asked : do you need help… my guardian angel was on duty… O0

I crawled back into my tent and although the round bars were being swept from side to side, I slept like a baby. Me, myself and I, was enough anchor for my tent…

a few nice bird sightings…

Brown snake eagle

Southern Ground Hornbill

How’s that for a landing for Wolly necked stork – nose first lol

Burchells coucal

Pearl spotted owlet

Red breasted swallow ^Q^

Double banded Sangrouse in top speed =O:

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

I found 8 hyenas near Ngotso North in the road walking towards me.
I stopped and allowed them to walk to me.
They had no problem coming right up to the window, and a very big one walked to the front of my car and put his jaw on my bonnet, looking straight into my eyes. I was mezmorised by this. ;-)
There was one other car, and I have been hoping that they would paste pics on social media.

What I have read on Facebook are hyenas on that road, actually biting car tyres and leaving you with a flat. 0'

In my excitement I changed the setting on my camera, and all my pics were black, but with some ‘editing’ or whatever, this is the best I could get – and it was through my car windows.

I spent half an hour at an ellie road block before another car arrived.
The guy took some pics and then started passing the ellie…..

Against my better understanding and judgement, I started my car… O-/ and started a fight with the guy – (0!) while following close to him :X: …. Now look what you making me do 0- … this is very stupid… :twisted: what will you do it he turns round… :shock: where did you learn to do a daring thing like this… @#$

And then I was passed the ellie….. =O: =O:

Some impressions I also had was :

The speed of a Chameleons running over the road… wow

The Impatience of a tortoise when a twig stops his journey

The baobab in Mopani camp

How stones are packed neatly like our t-shirt cupboards

Some more animals

2 young giraffes rushing to catch up with mommy - settings wrong again 0*\

Nyala

And then my bestest sighting (or have I had one already) was a lifer : two Klipspringers on the H7. O/\ O/\

I spent some time with them

.... it is this losing sense of time why it took me 6 hours from Satara to Phalaborwa gate – and then 6 hours home. O**
I travelled 12 hours for the day, and going through Magoebas in the darkest mist I have ever seen. O-/

I think I can face these giants again…..

:ty: for reading and commenting on my trip report – it was most memorable for me.

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”