And then the Fish Eagle started to call.....*

Pumbaa

And then the Fish Eagle started to call.....*

Post by Pumbaa »

Hi there,

we are back again - as always unfortunately - :shock: We had another brilliant trip with excellent sightings although I was shocked to see the park that dry already :O^ Nsemani dam and Tihongonyeni were bone dry and all the grass gone - Especially the area around Satara, last year it was as wet as never before there and this year is was as dry as never seen before :shock:

And it was hot, very hot with only a couple of days less than 30 degrees and we even had some up to 40 degrees and due to the dryness the birds were not that plentifull as seen in the previous three very wet Februarys but nevertheless we still got to see a couple of never seen ones. O/\

But I guess this is the speciality of visits to Kruger - Each trip is different and has its own stories to tell and this one will start soon not that soon but soon enough.

Just wanted to let you know were are fine and everything went well and smoothly.

See you X#X

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Pumbaa

Re: And then the Fish Eagle started to call.....

Post by Pumbaa »

Thanks already Richprins, nan, Toko, Flutterby, Bushcraft, Tina, Mel, Lisbeth and Amoli X#X

I think it is about time to start......

Friday, 13th February, 2015 – Berg en Dal

After one year of day dreaming of Kruger finally the day arrived when we had once again South African ground under our feet and the minute we disembarked the airplane until we found ourselves again on the bridge crossing the Crocodile River everything went well and these nearly 7 1/2 hours spun away as nothing – Sigh.

Whilst standing on that famous bridge my eyes realized a bit far away but still relatively good visible without binoculars already the first never seen but always wanted to see bird – a group of sacred ibises!

After a more closer look around we found already a black headed as well as goliath heron lots of Egyptian goose

and even a couple of hamerkops close to where we stood. Indeed a very promising start when it comes to birds already.

Suddenly a head of a hippo emerged from the deep water and Timon simply snapped away from this strange perspective.

The gate formalities went smoothly and finally we were back and drove straight to our first camp without any detours as we in fact were tired from the overnight flight with not much sleep and the long drive from Johannesburg, however, we allowed us plenty of time as we nearly had two hours until gate closing time. First animal we saw were impalas, indeed no surprise, but always a wonderful welcome gift after one year drought.

A family of three rhinos greeted us as well and after we admired them extensively

we arrived in camp and got the key to bungalow No. 31 close to the fence and Rhino walking trail. After we put everything into the fridge of the numerous food we just bought at the Malelane Spar and rearranged our luggage Timon already lit the braai and we sat on our verandah and soaked once again everything in. These first braais are always the best and as we know that time once the holiday started flew faster by then the time waiting for the next trip we enjoyed the first braai always the most.

Although this was disturbed suddenly because I noticed something inside our bungalow which definitely should not have been inside same – a small snake was slithering between our still open luggage and nearly disappeared already under one bag! What a scary and thrilling start. Whilst Timon went inside the bungalow I of course stayed outside and Timon indeed managed with the leg of his tripod to manoeuvre the snake into the direction of the sliding door which after a couple of minutes worked and gladly the snake left the bungalow and disappeared between a gap of the rocks out of which the bungalows are build with. At least the snake turned out to be a light brown one but in fact we were simply happy that we not had to share our bedroom with a snake!

We heard and read already a lot of Berg en Dal’s snakes but to be itself part of such a story was in fact unreal and for sure not an adventure I want to experience again. If we were not able to get the snake that fast out of our room we indeed had to call someone and I only allowed Timon one attempt otherwise I would have went to call help. The only bad thing was that we did not get any picture of the snake....After we finally had finished our braai Timon flashed with a torch under all beds and inside all cupboards not that maybe Mom snake appeared from somehow (we normally did not do that but we simply wanted to be safe) but nothing showed up so dead tired as we were we only fell into the beds and slept peacefully unitl we were awoke by the alarm clock the next morning.

Saturday, 14th February, 2015 – Berg en Dal

Roads we drove that day: S110 / H3 / S113 / S23 / S114 / S118 / H3 / S110

First full days are always the best also in view how fast the first full day turned into the last full day so we always enjoy these days inside the park as if this was the last day on Earth and soon after the first brewing hot coffee we were ready to start. Just to let you know gladly the snake did not show up again during our whole stay at Berg en Dal.

Just outside the gate the obligatory marabou storks in a dead tree made us stop

and also allowed enough time for some close ups.

Then the sun rose and Timon stopped again for some sigh moments and for sure for one or two shots.

We could not overlook these two sleepy buddies

and we already noticed that compared to the tree previous years that area which is always thick and overgrown in summer with lot of little streams flowing here and there was bone dry and the grass was not that high as usual - Well it looked awesomely green without doubt

and also the usual suspects occurred plentiful but without any good rains during the coming weeks it will become a very long winter.

At that stage we did not know that other parts of the park looked far more alarmingly dry but that are other stories which will be told later during that trip report.

Lot of wattled plovers, more birdies

and our first magpie shrikes during that trip appeared and for sure got a lot of attention from Timon.

When it comes to bird or animal photography Timon is always in charge as I am in fact not that patient with the animals and only take one or two shots whereas Timon is always taking nearly hundreds I am more the landscape photographer - This shot is one of my favourites as it so very well represents that area around Berg and Dal.

Although I drove Timon nearly mad by explaining and conducting him to the right spot which I was satisfied with!

During the last wet summers these flowers could only be found sporadically but this year we found them in the South nearly around each corner.

Thos very first days do make us always stop for each and every creature and we were happy to get the picture of our very first banana bird during that trip.

to be continued......

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

A cute common duiker could be photographed and this year in fact we had luck in spotting this antelope extreme often and they even posed sometimes long enough for one or two shots.

Also the flycatcher appeared plentiful in the South and were always in the mood to stay long enough for some decent pictures.

A large group of nearly 30 baboons came across and all walked determinedly on the road ignoring all the cars around them - Obviously they all were in their own world. We do always love to watch them and especially these cute youngsters baboon backriding on Mom's back.

This little chap even sucked on Mom's milkbar simultaneously - Same had obviously ordered a double milkshake....

Some of them were very extreme curious

and some others enjoyed the nearness of Mom

and then the cutest of them all - A little baby boy in thinking pose - I simply love that shot.

We do always stop on these bridges crossing the smaller rivers in Kruger as normally there is always something to be seen and we scanned the area whilst standing on the bridge crossing the Mlambane when suddenly two giraffes appeared.

They were thirsty and drank from some very small puddles which hardly could be seen.

As you all know it can take endlessly until the giraffes decide that it is safe enough for a mouthful of water and so we stayed quite a while on the bridge, however, we had a great time watching them although it started to heat up already in the sun extremely.

A full view shot simply had to be done before we headed off.

Renosterpan itself was mammal free but on our way to the pan we stopped for a group of zebras

amongst them some of them were attacking each other.

The Egyptian goose as well as the blacksmith plover took over Renosterpan

and as after a while nothing happened we continued our way and Afsaal picnic shot was a welcome stop for a body break.

During these first full days also each bird which came across had to be photographed and so Timon was happy in capturing the first of many grey headed bush shrikes

and one of the many European rollers in the park.

to be continued.....

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Also for the impalas which already started to choose a bush to spend the rest of the day under we stopped as they always do offer some nice shots.

Gladly they were still active enough to throw a glance into Timon's camera.

This year the Euopean swallows occurred in large flocks and I cannot remember having ever seen so many of them in the entire park.

Gladly there was still water left somewhere out of sight as this elephant enjoyed only recently a nice splash

and we nearly missed this rock with ears on our way, however, same did not move besides it's ears the whole time we watch it.

Some muddy puddles gladly offered some three banded plovers still some food.

After we did hear them already nearly everywhere we finally could also capture out very first woodie of that trip - Always a pleasure to hear them whilst riding on the roads.

At Biyamiti weir we always do stop extensively and we had luck as when we arrived there it was passed noon, extreme hot and consequently not much cars disturbed us whilst parking on the weir and watching a lot of Egyptian goose,

two wooly-necked storks out of which one just landed

and even one female saddle billed stork was foraging in the water.

Lots of water dikkops were around although most of them were quite well hidden but gladly one of them was in the mood for posing.

One of the wooly-necked storks eyed something in the air suspiciously - which turned out to be a group of more Egyptian geese. The always present sandpiper had still a lot to do

and then it got a bit uncomfortable for us as two elephant bulls occurred but gladly ignored us the whole time and made their way over the rocks into the weir on the other side

only interested in feeding and drinking.

With one eye we always observed them just to be on the safe side and with the other eye we could again concentrate onto the birdies which surrounded us

some comical looking egyptian geese

and a pied wagtail drinking from the water which was overflowing the weir.

After a more than intense break at Biyamiti weir we continued our way already having in mind that this was gladly still not our last visit at the weir.

to be continued.....

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Toko wrote:OOOh, then you like the big birds lol lol
The small ones as well - Like the malachite O**

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Richprins wrote:Excellent! O/\

There is a nice thread on the weir here, Pumbaa: viewtopic.php?f=263&t=2635

;-)
I will check for that thread but more to come about the weir a bit later in my report X#X

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

nan wrote:This year the Euopean swallows occurred in large flocks and I cannot remember having ever seen so many of them in the entire park. normal... they were ready to leave SA to do the loooong trip... till my little pond O/\

nice serie of birds, and nice portrait of a concentrate of Impalas (the second, it seems)

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
They obviously already arrived there, nan \O

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

aat wrote:Hi Pumbaa !!

You just ended your previous TT and starting the new one ....Good timing \O \O

Great pictures of so many birds and other species. Not always easy to make good photos when it is that hot as you descibed.
Well, I am on board and curious about the "not yet seen ones" , that must be special after a nice number of visits...but as you said..every trip has surprizes... :-) :-)
A trip to Kruger is never boring you will discover always something new and interesting to see - Great to have you on board, Aat \O

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Meanwhile it heated already up and noon passed already so we expected not much during our drive back to camp with some detours but you could rely on the ever present impalas

and for sure on the European bee eaters

On the causeway near the S114/S118 crossing we for sure stopped again to capture one of the many dragon flies which could be seen here nearly on eye level.

Also here the turtles must have been fed as near a pond close to the Olifants get out point on the S44 but as soon as they realized that nothing will be throwing into the water by us they turned around and ducked back into the water still having an eye on us just in case - At least this was one of the few causeways which was still overflowing and to spot that many small fishes was a lovely sighting.

Whilst continuing our way we had to pay attention for the dung beetles which were busy with their daily task.

I already complained earlier about the dryness and relatively shortness of the grass, however, when watching this picture it looks lush and green which it in fact was but compared to other summer's this must have been an extremely dry one and with one of the lowest river levels we ever saw.

We do always stop for groups of impalas and it is always such a joy observing them as they are normally always so relaxed with cars around them

and due to the fact that there were so many of them one of them is always willing to pose for a picture.

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

On one of our favourite roads in that area we met a friendly lady in her car who told us about a rhino plus a cute calf only a couple of kilometers ahead of us although we always do appreciate such information we never make us high expectations to actually find of what we have been told and we always take our time in also stopping for each and every creature which will come across but this time we had luck and whilst Timon already thought the rhinos were gone I saw already a cute head popping out around the next corner

Gladly for us they stood at one of the look out points and so we could park the car in a relatively safe distance not to disturb them and gladly mom was relaxed the whole time we watched them and during the whole time this sighting lasted we were the only car around so no speeder could chase them off the road

and needless to say that our camera buttons started to glow as it was already a time ago when we saw such a tiny calf and on top so close to the road.

The little one was a bit restless and simply wanted to sleep a bit close to mom

but same from time to time jumped up onto its feet again - All four legs at the same time and it looked indeed a bit like an agile cat instead of a bit sedate looking grey rock but that is always what is fascinating me on animals they even may look slow and immovable but they are extreme flexible and can run a couple of more km/h as humans can and even longer.

So I always do have an immense respect for the grey giants in the wild. I cannot remember how long we stayed with them but it was simply awesome that we were allowed by mom to watch her little one that long although it looked as if she was also in the mood to take a small nap.

After we was satisfied with all the shots we got it was time for us to leave them in peace so that they might could have spend the rest of the afternoon taking a nap together.

For us it was also time to head back to camp for a short break before we left for our afternoon drive but there was still so much to see - especially this highjacked signpost

and for sure such gorgeous impala lambs

to be continued.....

PuMbAa

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”