Flutts and the Brat drag SO to Kruger*

Flutterby

Re: Flutts and the Brat drag SO to Kruger

Post by Flutterby »

We got back to camp at about 12pm only to find that our hut had not yet been cleaned! 0*\ SO went to lie down - he's not used to these early mornings lol - and when the cleaner eventually arrived at about 12.45 he was fast asleep, so I asked if she could come back later, but she replied that she knocked off at 1pm! :O^ So, our hut was not cleaned - the first time this has ever happened in Kruger! :-? I was not impressed, especially when I made the beds and noticed that none of the sheets fitted properly! :evil: Anyway, we headed out at about 3.30 to take the H4-1 to the high-level bridge and back to camp via the H1-2 but it was a very quiet afternoon drive.

A noisy Red-backed Shrike

A lonesome boon

That night we decided to try out the Cattle Baron.

SO ordered a salmon salad that was meant to have avo and capers. When he got it there were no avos and about 3 capers. When he asked our waiter where the avo was she said it was out of stock! :O^ He told her it would have been nice if he'd known that before but she was such a sweety (her name was Eggy lol ) he could not get cross with her! ;-)

I had a T-bone which was very nice. \O The food was good (apart from the avo/caper story) although nothing special and quite pricey! :shock:

When we got back to our hut I decided to have one last ciggie in the dark on the verhandah before bed. SO came out to join me, but as he stepped outside a bat flew right past his face, to which he responded with " @#$ this" and went to bed! lol

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

So, our last morning had arrived and the Brat and I sadly said goodbye to SKukuza. Strangely, SO was in quite a good mood! 0'

We headed down the H11 and S1 towards Phabeni, with nothing worth stopping for. :-( The Brat wanted to prolong our journey to the gate and changed the route to the S4 and S3. Not long after getting onto the S4 we saw cars stopped ahead...this is what they were watching....

A cheetah with cubs!! O/\ O/\ We have never seen cheetah cubs so the Brat and I were ecstatic! O:V They were quite far away and the light was poor but it was fun to watch the cubs playing and mom restoring order! lol

Mom then started to walk closer to the road! O/\ There were a lot of cars and JJ's and everyone was trying to work out where the cheetah were heading. The Brat was ordering SO to move with the rest of the cars, but SO had other plans! O** He said that she obviously wanted to cross the road but would not cross where all the cars were, so he hung back leaving a gap in front of us, and what do you know - she crossed right in front of our car and stopped about 10 metres from us calling the cubs! O:V For a bush-hater, SO certainly knows his stuff! lol

Photobucket is playing up so will continue another time. ;-)

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Mom called for the cubs, constantly scanning the bush for any danger. The cubs eventually built up the courage to cross the road and like mom, crossed right in front of us. :-0

Mom then decided that she'd had enough of the traffic and disappeared into the bush, with the cubs following close behind. 0/* When we got home I saw on FB that she had made a kill about an hour after we left! 0*\

Our last sighting of the trip was this very sore-looking zebra on the S3! :-(

So, our first (and maybe only) trip with SO was a roaring success. In two days we saw the Big 5, plus pangolin, wild dogs, cheetah with cubs, and some new birdies too! O:V O/\ Funnily enough, just about the only thing we didn't see were any waterbuck!! :-? 0-

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”