Three Weeks in Paradise (KNP TR April/May 2012)

BluTuna

Re: Three Weeks in Paradise (KNP TR April/May 2012)BT

Post by BluTuna »

Day 18, 9 May. Skukuza.

Clear skies all day temperature in the high 20s.

We went straight to Lake Panic this morning. It has to be one of the most beautiful places in the park.

There were some Hippos in the mist.

And a host of birds.
African Jacana.

Malachite Kingfisher.

Tawnyflanked Prinia? Or maybe not.

Black Crakes, two adults and a junior.

African Darter.

We left the hide at around 08:00 and drove to Afsaal via the Byamiti Weir which is open again. Very little to see except this raptor which I say is a Gabar Goshawk but my SO says it's an Ovambo Sparrowhawk.

After consuming the best and most reasonably priced breakfast in the park we headed back to camp and along the way saw another spotted one.

Back at Skukuza I managed to snap of one of the other residents.

Back to Lake Panic again this afternoon.
This guy is the boss of his bit of the lake.

I managed to get a sequence of pics that I've always wanted. Here are 3 out of the dozen or so I got.

Then a sudden commotion as two African Darters had a fight over the rights to this end of the lake.

A Grey Heron was flapping about in a tree.

More commotion as several Hippos started charging about.

After the shadows reached across the lake, we took a short drive to the low level bridges. This Fish Eagle was near the bridge over the Sand River.
Last edited by BluTuna on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

Day 19, 10 May. Skukuza.

Cloudy this morning, clear skies this afternoon, temperature in the high 20s.

This morning we drove the S3 and saw a lot of very dense bush with occasional sightings of the river.
We did spy a Crowned Eagle but it flew before I could get my camera aimed at it.
We also saw part of a herd of Buffs with lots of young calves.

This next shot was taken in my wing mirror as I didn't want this person to know he was on candid camera (for some reason the camera wouldn't focus properly) - recognise the uniform? Yes it's one of SAPS's finest.

After driving into Hazyview for breakfast we returned via the Kruger Gate and on a plant near the curio shop I saw this huge wasp.

Back at my new favourite spot this afternoon - Lake Panic, a pair of Pied Kingfishers.

A Goliath Heron gingerly climbing down its perch.

A snorting Hippo.

An African Darter in beautiful light.

A Greenbacked Heron with afternoon snack.

And later in perfect light,

We then took a drive along the H3 to the granite dome (I can't read the name of it on our tatty old map).
Along the way we met up with an angryphant who gave us quite a display.

From the top of the dome you can see for miles.

And the last rays of the sun turn the rock red.
Last edited by BluTuna on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

Day 20, 11 May. Skukuza -> Lower Sabie.

Clear skies today, temperature in the high 20s.

Our last full day in the park but what a day! We had some excellent sightings including one that tops all the others for the trip!

Out first thing and up to Granopkop/Mathekayane/Sandflea to catch the sunrise. We were waylaid by a trio of Southern Ground Hornbills so We didn't quite get there before the sun rose but the view was even better than it was last night.

We then continued on thee H1-1 and up the S65 to the S1 and back to Skukuza after detouring to - you guessed it - lake Panic.
On the S65 there wasn't much to see util we came across this beauty.

and on the S1 a Gymnogene/African Harrier Hawk. I was a bit confused by the orange face but the book says they flush red when they are excited.

At Lake Panic, a Black Crake and an African Jacana.

Back to Skukuza for some breakfast. In the big fig tree by the river was a Purple Crested Turaco and a Green Pigeon.

Back to the campsite to pack up the tent for the last time. A mantis was on the tent and was easy to see until I put it on a tree.

On the way to Lower Sabie, a Shikra or Little Banded Goshawk,

At Lubyelubye Lions on the rocks.

And a couple of Kms down the road, another Lion.

After we checked in at LS, we went for our afternoon drive - H4-2/S28/S137/S130/H4-2.
Near the LS bridge, a Whitecrowned Lapwing.

At Ntandanyathi Hide - after a quick look for the snake - a Hippo was rolling around in small amount of water that is left.

And showing us what big teeth it has.

A little further up the gully, some movement........

What's that? What's that? What's that? WOW!!!!!!!!

Cape Clawless Otter. Only the second time we've ever seen one O\/ O/\ O/\

At Duke waterhole, a Giraffe against the setting sun.

And as we reached the north end of the S130, I checked for traffic to my left and saw Doggies.

What and amazing day!!!! Big 5, Painted Dogs and OTTER!!!!!

Time to turn in now, have to be up early for our last game drive tomorrow morning.
Last edited by BluTuna on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BluTuna

Re: Three Weeks in Paradise (KNP TR April/May 2012)

Post by BluTuna »

Day 21, 12 May. Lower Sabie -> Home.

Clear skies but misty in patches, temperature in the high 20s.

Our last drive then home.

The day started with a kill right on the stoep :) A Gecko got an early breakfast.

We went for a last look at the causeway, then back down to Ntandanyathi Hide but I bet you guessed that!
Near the causeway, a Blackwinged Stilt and his reflection.

And a Giant Kingfisher.

The Sun came up across the Sabie River.

On the S28, a Pearl-Spotted Owlet.

With eyes on the back of his head.

Further down the S28 it was a bit misty.

Guess who was still at the waterhole?

After the hide we drove the S137 and the S130 southwards and saw a Crested Spurfowl, some Giraffes and a Burchell's Coucal. We also saw a Cheetah but it was too far into the dense bush to get a picture of.

Back to Lower Sabie along the S82 Mativuhlungu Loop. Male Impalas have been displaying everywhere we went but it seemed that as soon as I pointed my camera at them, they'd get shy and stop what they were doing. I finally managed to catch one in the act.

After we packed the last few things and hooked up the trailer, we headed for Croc Bridge to exit the park after one of their excellent breakfasts.
A last look at Sunset Dam and Yellowbilled Stork Leader was up practicing formation flying with his squadron. I think they need more practice.

A LBR doing some stretching.

And last but not least, at Croc Bridge, an Agama in the flowerbed.
Last edited by BluTuna on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

Many, many thanks to all of those who read this TR and special thanks to those who made comments - and that includes RP :)

To finish off my TR, I thought I'd publish my own top 10 pictures from the trip.

Starting with Number 10....

10. Cape Clawless Otter - Included Just because it's a picture of an Otter not for its composition - after little bit of photoshop magic.
9. Roan Antelope - Nice light on an unusual animal.
8. Spotted Bush Snake - Not often that I get close enough for this sort of shot.
7. Painted Dog - Another nice portrait in good light.
6. Hyaena - Difficult picture to get.
5. Giant Kingfisher - A fluked shot but I like it.
4. Elephant - This was quite a touching moment, these two are obviously old friends or relatives.
3. Elephant - I love the the look of outrage on this youngster's face.
2. Impala - A really difficult picture to get especially from a car. Perfect light, perfect pose.
1. Pied Kingfisher. I was hoping for the opportunity to take some pictures of a hovering pied Kingfisher. I had to be on the ball as it only hovered for about 3-4 seconds. Here are all 12 pictures I shot in an animated GIF file - especially for RP who wanted some decent BIF pictures.
Last edited by BluTuna on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poplap

Post by Poplap »

O/\ O/\ O\/ O\/ Stunning pics and narration, BT! Mating lions, wild dogs, poor cub, BBJ, tinyphant, indignaphant, aggrophant, snake, eland, roan, Machachule, more dogs, more lions, leopards, cheetah in the distance, and even an otter! Say what??!! You've seen it all. Your Top 10 is lovely and I like the animated file of the KF. Fantastic. Loved your narration too. Thanks for sharing and taking the trouble. A visual bonanza indeed! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein
pooky

Post by pooky »

Wow Blutuna some stunning pics there ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Thank you for sharing \O \O

I love all the 'phants - and one day that littlephant is going
to get bigphant - then what 0*\

Great otter sighting \O

Satara 30 Sept - 7 Oct

Botswana June/July 2018

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”