Lazy Horses and other Delights!! *

cheetah

Re: Lazy Horses and other Delights!! (Cheetah)

Post by cheetah »

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Day 4 Morning!

Wake up in the morning feeling rough and ready to head on steady Northward from the Sabie of Lowness! I've seen all these photies of the cheetah on the H10! Maybe I can get some cheetah for my faceImage

ImageImageImage

Sprawled out across the H10 are the bobs that lead my way! A large troop of all shapes and sizes are a jollybean bunch to observe :D
Item 1 on the agenda for the morning is team bonding! If it were not for the lowering of their glucocorticoid levels through grooming, they simply would not cope. They really are social aMiNals! Image
What a nifty design to have a bend on the tail for smalloons to hitch a ride on!
Smalloons are in a good position to observe the world and develop their sight and depth perception. Unlike human moms who hold their babies against their chest or back :D Yet as independent as they seem, there are some teenybobs who never want to say goodbye to those mommyjin hitch-hiking days! Like this jealous brotherbob Image

The social jollybeans bob off into the long grass having a little swing at every bush they pass :D They are wonderful! Image Not quite my feeling towards this next bully!
Bullyfant had me reversing for about 2kms!! Image
Good riddance! Better to see a Nellymuncher! That awesome moment when you eating so much it makes you smile! Image

Our precious stood morning watch on that morrow!
And legolas long neck was sticking his rough tongue amongst the thorns!
The big round ears of a shaggy coated waterbuck decipher its surrounding
I could not believe the flood damage around Tsokwane! Image
The cry of Africa reaching new areas!
Macdonals anyone? Image
The lads who are in low numbers these days :cry: Image

And nearly back home, some birdies for Aunty Val :D
The Dr's least favourite roller //\0--
Geese from Egypt!
The King of fishers perched up on the rocks!
And Mr Shneaky Shneaky coming back from the banks of sunset dam after being spotted trying to get at some eggs!
:D

cheetah

Post by cheetah »

Day 4 Afternoon!

ImageImageImage

The drive began by swinging past LubyeLubye to hopefully see Mr. LubyeLeopie himself! (or was it to try see Aussie babe?Image ) But the fisher from the woodlands was very calm and no sign of the Spotted Celeb

And no lesser spotted Australasians unfortunately. But if there was, I would probably board down these cliffs to go fetch Spotted Celeb for her to see!
Image Still, this gives more time for working out Image This is all good and well, but completely irrelevant isn't it?
Onward then! Image

I ambled up to the H10 bridge which is always a lekker spot in the heat of the day! I like to park just where the water gushes down for a little cool down. I found the fisher who ate all the pie!!Image

Terry's were poking their heads around on their Sabie Island!Image

Even the Hippsters were out of sorts taking a little stroll on distant shores (well, not that distant)
This bridge is a jolly fine place to swing past!
It was Se-r-i-ous-ly HOT! And Buff Brogan was having a chillax sesh in his Sabie Pool Image

Our precious was barely visible in the long grass

The whole Famdamily of Nellymunchers were just settling down at the table for some greens! ImageImage

Moving on from family dining I thought I would take the S28! Since that's where all you okes see Cheetah ;) Lizzie Legs was bending down to a scrumptious bush at the entrance!!
She has grace this lady does!Image

The open grasslands of this road made game viewing a challenge! But these Zebbierebs found a nice short grass section to show themselves to me :D
They had a little one with them that had a black face. I'm not sure what the cause is? At first I felt sorry for this one. :cry: Not as pleasing to the eye as his Zeb friends. But the more you stay and watch the herd, the more you realise there is something different about dark face Zeb! He flicks his head, and kicks his legs out and has a real spring in his step :D jolly jamming young lad if you have ever seen one! While all the youngins stuck by mom, blackie lead the way! First onto the road out of the herd! :D
Animals can give me advice on a daily basis just by being what they are made to be. These superficial concerns that occupy our minds are truly irrelevant! I am glad I met Blackie that day. I trust he will become a magnificent leader of Zebs! Maybe I will see him again :D

Moving on! Image Just a while down the S28 a far herd of Zebbs accompanied by a Blue Willie. But why are there two cars turned off looking at this Image I asked the Germans (who were not Pumbaa and Timon as I was hoping) and apparently there is a lone lioness stalking this lot Image

Eventually she pops up here head! And here is the girly!!!!
Right! Let the stalking begin!
It was over in a flash! Movement in the grass, a puff of dust, the golden girl leaping in the air and taking a swipe at the wilderbeest! Not an effective trip! With everyone looking at her, she walks away in the long grass flicking her tail in annoyance! Wow! What a sighting ImageImageImage

Turning around at the tar road a green mamba dashes across the road in that winding fashion at extreme pace!

The nocturnals are truly on the move! This Hyena slumps across the road at a brisk pace!

Even the battle tank Hippster is out to graze :D

How does a day in Kruger conclude? With exquisite beauty!

cheetah

Post by cheetah »

Day 5 Morning

The first thing that catches my eye in the half light of morning is an alert pair of grey pointed ears! The raucous rumbling of the running car galvanises a grumpy little baby rhonnie to have a look see who exactly disturbed his slumber! Ag Cook at little Rhonnie Pon!

Off to the right a formidable rump indicates an un-roused Mommy Rhino. May you and Sanparks keep smallceros safe!! Bye Bye little Ponnetjie! Image

One cuty deserves another they always say ('they' being my father encouraging me to an open minded consideration of polygamy). In this context, the timeless truth translated to a teeny tiny smalloon in the arms of Bobmom!ImageImage
As if insulted by me calling him cute, bobby leaps out of moms arms in a display of independent capabilities! Image
Fortunately, there are other smalloons that are comfortable with their cute status :D
All is good in the hood as long as RP keeps an eye of guidance on the H12 troop ImageImage
The usual sort of baboon leadership. Read some Shakespear, keep tabs on the troops media ... that sort of thing. In fact I believe he had Riter Skeeter take this photo to demonstrate to Sanparks the state of the bridge they have called home for a long time 0=

The prince of the Rich troop calls for the slowing down of vehicles on Kruger roads too! Lest anyone miss a tiny little snake on the road! So we can rule out Green Mamba then? Image Perhaps Mozambique spitting cobra smally?

Turning on to the S22 there was something odd in the road …
Could it be?
Sommer lying in the road?
The Laziest of horses!!
It was then than Miss Rosetta decided that's that! Enough of this being seen business!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Coming up!
The return of Aussie BabeImage

cheetah

Re: Lazy Horses and other Delights!!

Post by cheetah »

The Return of Aussie Babe

Remember where we were? Rosetta sleeking off into the Bush Image

I decided to go back in the Lower Sabie direction by cutting across the S21! And I do not regret that decision Image

Turtalurt in the road! An old padestrian!Image

A terry sommer in the road!Image

A minkey in a tree!

And a sign of things to come ;)

For what occurred next was rather unexpected! Image For in the road, before mine eyes, I see a car I recognize! Could it be? Oh Aussie babe? Image I edge forward to pull up next to blondine, but she flashes her lights at meImage what happened next I could never predict! A Barty Badger darts across the road between our cars and disappears into the bushImage

I now pull up next to Aussie for a chat. She says: “ah my leopard hero” Well that's the best first line ever! She decided to buy me a token of appreciation … a kuala bear that is wearing an Austrailia top! That was for showing her, her first leopardImage I have a nice chat with this enchanting babe. As she departs I kick myself for NOT TAKING A PICImage So I hope you will accept some prose as a description!

Oh, Aussie Babe

She's pretty to sit with,
And witty to talk with,
And pleasant, too, to think on."
Said Cheetah

She has a beauty of her own,
A beauty of a paler tone
Than Saffie gals;
Yet southern sun and southern air
Have kissed her cheeks, until they wear
Making a Barty Badger appear
From hidden shrubs.

Her frank, clear eyes bespeak a mind
Old-world traditions fail to bind.
She is not shy
Or bold, but simply self-possessed;
Her independence adds a zest
One blonder and fairer than the rest,
Oh Aussie babe.

cheetah

Post by cheetah »

Day 5 Afternoon

Sheez it was seriously sizzling hot that day!! Image A visit to the tranquil waters of Sunset Dam was the call of the day.
Its enough to make one very thirsty //\0--

As per tradition, I headed to the ever rewarding and ever cooling H10 bridge! And I find a small heron on the verge of foamy water! A green backed :D
There is plenty to catch around here!
ImageImageImage
He is actually a master of ambush this guy. One of his tactics is to float a feather or leaf on the water, then taking out the inquisitive fish that come to investigate

Some of the fattys were out on the hobble!

Whilst others were wisely avoiding the heat Image

Travelling South towards Croc Bridge, stopping ever so often for the hairy scary Golden Orbs!! Have you ever seen someone bitten by one?! Image

One relaxed reminiscing lonelyfant allows me to drive right next to it!!!Image
Image If only they were all this chilled ... duuuuudeImageImage

Krugers migratory guests were missioning off on an afternoon trek! Image

Little Willie Willie Wallie sticking close to mommybees

A magpie welcomes me to the S28! Image

Where the lone lioness failed her hunting attempt yesterday, a herd of buff oaks stream across the road for a good while!!

A Werner Willie stands guard near his mates!
His mates are the Zebbielebs! The herd of Blackie. Blackie was off in the distance today! Still a jolly jack! They shmaak these grasses near the Duke turn-off

Dukes guardian was there!
How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spreads his claws,
And welcomes little fishes in,
With gently smiling jaws!

The fading of light had truly come

But Legolas and his wife was there to say goodbye! Image

cheetah

Post by cheetah »

Day 6 Morning

Goooood morning Kruger!!!ImageImageImage

There is a movement in the sky. Above head the bats and nightjars still fly. How early the bird must rise to spot the cat! //\0-- Coffee, Dried Wors, Camera, Sharp!!
I arrive a good half an hour before gate opening, yet someone has beaten me there!Image The dark haired lady was asking the guard where the lions were roaring last night. That is what I usually do! Image We start chatting about our common goal to find Leons! Great company over my morning coffee :D I explain my struggle to find Leons towards Croc Bridge and Skuks direction. And we both agree the H10 to Tsoks and a bit further is our best chance Image The more she speaks of Lion Sightings she has seen from others, the more I suspect we draw knowledge from the same source :D I became most confident in my suspicion when she mentioned her friend who saw the Vutumi pride daily on the S35. Now I know that is ADW! And so I ask if she is a Forum member … and alas! She is the forumite Bornfree!! “What a pleasure to meet you Bornfree, I am cheetah” Image “oh cheetah! Your TR's are a gas” Thanks Bornfree! Soon the time draws near for us to climb in our contrasting cars (a massive 4x4 and little Casper corsa), and go search for the Golden Kitties!!
ImageImageImage

In the semi darkness hippster blobs are still out of their Sabi pool home wandering the river banks. Heading on the H10 I get in my morning concentration zone looking for Kitties! The only activity my brain can process so early is squinting my eyes into the dark bush searching for catlike shapes. I keep Bornfree's red lights in sight but keep a fair distance. As dawn begins to break my eyes can more clearly discern the landscape. Once the sun permitted perfect vision, I decided to pour another cup of coffee from my flask. This turned out to be terrible timing! For no sooner had I poured the cup that I proceeded to pour it out again all over my shorts!! For up ahead Bornfree's brake lights burn red and in front of her 4X4, two large shapes stand in the road!!!!
ImageImageImage

With a hot coffee burning my legs my clumsy hands read over for my camera! I will not bother showing those pics, since the Leons stayed until light improved :D With ample space given by the two cars, the Brothers plunk down in the road! It comes to my attention that a Nelliefant is browsing very close to these Bros! Image Please don't chase away the guys Nellie! Image Although the Angryfant acts irate, the Lions seem to take no notice of it at all! One walking closer to him!

I make the risky decision to place my car between the elephant and the boys to try act as Switzerland! And there we go! The Nellie relaxes! Image

What a beautiful boy the one Bro was!
Bornfree takes her last pics and moves off!ImageGiving me prime pic position! They really act like twin brothers!
Licking at the same time
Look this side
Look that side
Then moving over
To lie in perfect symmetry as I pass giving the car behind me a chance!
Here is the pic Bornfree sent me on facebook me!!
ImageImageImageImageImage

cheetah

Post by cheetah »

Day 6 Morning Part 2

Reflection at Nkumbe
ImageImage
What a start to the day!! This hoender tells me that the bush still has may wonders to reveal this morrow!
The H10 is one of my favourite areas in the Park. :D The green grass blanket dotted by shrubs The striped beauties graze in the distance with the odd Willie tagging along.. A kori bustards head becomes momentarily visible before disappearing into the lush pastures again. European Rollers perched every so often on their shrub posts. The proverbial Angryfant forcing a km of reversing Image
He is the boss Image

Once bullyfant decided that was enough backtracking, he veered off and munched some breaki! Only to give way to more oncoming traffic!
The jollybeans bouncily bound past Casper on their bobby way! Biting, chasing and mounting form part of their morning activities!
Farewell bobjins Image
This morning the touristy shot was on the cards since I had ample time to look over the vlaktes and do some navel gazing.
It is an interesting spot for observing people at this lookout.
Nkumbe Cat 1.
Some cars delegate the task to the youngest in the car to stumble out of their cars with reluctant stiff legs. The chosen one points the camera in the general direction of the plains, snap a pic in a jiffy and bustle backwards towards their car and wheel-spin out of the parking area as if every second was putting them deeper in debt! Thats category 1 Nkumbe Lookout peeps ]Image
Nkumbe Cat 2.
lookouters have enough time to stretch after they step out of the car! They let out a mini lion roar as they stretch like they have never stretched before. Arms out, arms up, way up to the sky, just popping that back and twisting that neck in all directions whilst emitting the funniest OOOooo sound. Nkumbe Cat 2 people all get out of the car! And what's more, armed with a pair of binoculars over and above the camera!! The alpha male will assume the wide legged rock power stance and lift those binoculars towards the eyes purposefully. After a quick 4 second left to right sweep motion he will say “no, nothing”. He will gesture towards to his wife and ask “See anything?” “no there is never anything here” she will say with arms folded and a tone that says she knew it before she got out of the car. Just when they thought they were free to flee the spot of disappointment, the kid will pipe up: “but daddy, what is that?” pointing with excitement at some far off spot. With reluctance the alpha male will allow the legs to slide open into power stance once again and look vaguely in the direction indicated for a split second and deduce “it is just a bush munchkin. Or an elephant at best”. With the final blow of Nkumbe disappointment being delivered they scatter back to the safety of the car.
Nkmbe Cat 3.
This lot at first appear to have the same rituals as Cat 2 Nkumbe lookouters. However they add to the stretch ritual the squeeze up on to their tippy-toes! They seem to take turns to do the stretch thing in chorus. They are more liberal in their volume, giving that squeal that transforms into a roar or two! The mom will go through the list: “okay Mike, you get the rusks, and Alice the cups”. Dad will clutch to his bosom the binoculars and a Newman bird book while mom herds the kids towards the thatch. The Cat 3 people will take the time to greet anyone already at the lookout. The family will first and foremost acknowledge the view with bare eyes: “I can all of South Africa daddy” the excited voice will say with a tug on dads shorts “Isn't it wonderful son”. Mom will round up some coffee and rusks and the family will sit down and occasionally a member will lift the binocs to their eyes and have a look see. They take turns to enjoy the far off elephant herd and chill a bit at the spot after the coffee is finished. They will walk back to the car with smiles and arms full of goodies.
Nkumbe Cat 4.
Is the person who was there to observe the antics of the previous categories ;) Smelling the fresh morning air and getting distracted by ants on the ground or even a colourful flower that catches the eye. Staring off over the vast expanse with head resting on hands with a distant look upon the face. Those philosophical eyes soak in the details of the beautiful artwork which is the landscape. When Cat 2's alpha male asks “do you see anything” the philosophical one might reply something along the lines of “its a beautiful view”. Not exactly the answer they wanted to hear! Possibly far too detached from reality for their own good, the Cat 4 Nkumbe philosopher might start soliloquising when the other groups rushed have fled to their cars. In the contemporary trance you might just reach some profound conclusion about life. Or perhaps that is only me O**

I went to Kruger on this trip having finished my degree and my plans for a job having fallen flat one after another. I needed to decide if I would struggle on where I haven't had an ounce of fortune, or change approach to do something where money and work is on the cards, even if it isn't what I actually want to do. Perhaps a temporary solution until I can do what I want to do – work on wildlife documentaries. I'm on to my last full day in Kruger sitting on the decision which will have significant implications on my life. What better a place to deal with a war of inward desires and thoughts than Nkumbe lookout :D I am reminded of Robert Frost's poem: the road not taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
and sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveller, long I stood
and looked down one as far as I could
to where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
and having perhaps the better claim
because it was grassy and wanted wear;
though as for that, the passing there
had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
in leaves no feet had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference

Sitting there in my own thoughts I had long forgotten that I was in Kruger in the middle of a planned route. A location on the map, or the time of day had become distant concepts. A lilac brested roller perches nearby to me and for the first time in a long while I lifted my head from my hands to look at his plumage. It was about then that I realised that life is not so much about what we do, as who we are. And that whichever path I choose I will not walk alone. I flip over my animal sightings list and write down this prayer/ collection of thoughts.

This feeling I've been getting
I don't know if I'm ready …
I don't know where I'm going. Could You show me slowly?

I had plans to live one day
Yet you had another way
But I do not feel lonely
You my one and only.

And with that, the weight of the decision was lifted off of my shoulders :D I decided to pursue wildlife documentaries further. :D A life altering visit to Nkumbe lookout point. I got in the car and drove on towards Tsoks with new purpose! Ready for Lazy Horses and other Delights!!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

cheetah

Post by cheetah »

Day 6 Morning Part 3

Driving away from Nkumbe I did not need any great sightings to make me happy! The morning had kicked off with the Lion Brothers in the road combined with my Switzerland effort with the Nelly bull! Followed by a deep moment of self discovery. I cannot recall a happier day in the Park Image

ImageImageImage

I am in that sort of relaxed mode where I stop for absolutely any birdy or even an interesting looking rock deserves a pause Image Crawling along the H10 my thoughts stop by on Aussie Babe Image Could it be that I see her again? I know that she has been coming in as a day visitor. Perhaps from Phabeni or Paul Kruger gate Image I have seen her between Lower Sabi and Skuks both times. I wonder what the chances are of seeing this blondine again. Perhaps I should ... my thoughts trail off as I see a rather interesting tree Image
Is that a tail in the tree?
(I wish I knew how to do the drawing thing on the photo!)
Look on left branch of the tree. That is a self spotted Lazy Horse in Tree! (LHIT)
Imagewoo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo!!
See it?
Here:

It was far off and the pic is lame! But what a find!Image
After some mellow time with LHIT I lifted the anchor and steared onwards towards the port-a-loo paradise Image
It was not long after the ex-picnic sight that I had another eye testing sighting Image

Can you see Rosetta? ;)
Heavily Cropped

It was actually a mating pair moving off into the bush on the far side of the river bed. May they have snotties by the dozens! Image

Scenery took a turn towards the eary at Mazithi dam! Image
Whilst the immortal undertakers stood gloomily on the top of the dead tree!Image
The S37 threw scavenger Jack my way!
A skittish lad Image
A skull to add to the theme of death!
The impi Warriors were unhappy with something ImageImage
But for the life of me I could not spot the source of unhappiness! That done and dusted it was time for romance in the plains!
Kiss KissImage
True love!
Although the lovebirds were having fun, the Twirly Horn boys didn't look too unhappy either! A group of eight of the lads

At some unknow location, Our precious stood proud and big across the road! The tank-like body bounded heavily across the road with head held high. A magnificent specimen of our precious!
Image It was a big five drive then!Image
The last gems of the drive included a drinking Nellie Fandamily and dusty Dave!

cheetah

Post by cheetah »

Both sightings have rubbish pics! Very far and poor light. But you can see they are leopards :o0ps:

cheetah

Post by cheetah »

Day 6 - Afternoon - Something Unexpected

Meanwhile, back at the ranch (LS) it was time to pin up all those Lion and Leopard pins and see the wide eyed looks of jealousy on faces of those standing around the board Image Striding on to the wooden floor-boards of the Lower Sabi deck, I find instant relief from the harsh mid-day sun thanks to the fresh breeze gusting across the restaurant tables. I have a tramezzini and an SO Image When I return to Casper in the reception parking lot, I see something foreign underneath my Windscreen wiperImage My curious eyes try to decipher the arbitrary item at long distance to no avail Image Arriving at Casper I lift out a piece of paper from under the wipers. It is a note Image
Hiya Mr Leopard Spotter!

Drat! I must have missed you on the road today. It would be handy if you could show me another leopard ;) Hopefully I will run into you on the road tomorrow though! You mentioned your Blackberry Sightings updates, so I figured I could give you my Blackberry pin so we could contact each other? The pin is ********
Tell me where those leopards are!
The Australian girl,
Cayleigh

ImageImageImage

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”