Kruger - Second Trip *

mouseinthehouse

Kruger - Second Trip *

Post by mouseinthehouse »

Hi everyone!
Myself, my two sons Alex and Bevan aged 19 and 22 and eldest son's girlfriend, Sarah spent about 15 days in KNP in Aug/Sept. For me it was a return visit after a great trip last year with SO. The boys have travelled in Africa before but not Kruger and for Sarah it was her first African trip.

We started in Phalaborwa and it was an amusing beginning when our little plane landed and then failed to make the three point turn to taxi back to the terminal. The nose wheel stuck in the turning angle. The pilots then 'revved' the plane up while holding the brakes on, then release brakes and hope the 'b!unny hop' would jolt the wheel unstuck! This was both alarming and hilarious at the same time! Eventually they resorted to that tried and true method - kicking the tyre. Sadly that didn't work either so we decamped into minivans which ferried us back to the terminal. After picking up a hire car, we stocked up on groceries, bought our Wildcards at the gate and proceeded to our first camp the sublime Shimuwini. The management here are doing a terrific job. Very friendly and efficient staff and great guides. We did a lovely morning walk which got my heart thumping when we skirted around a herd of browsing elephants. After the walk, we were asked if we had a game drive booked and when we replied in the negative our guides took us on a 'scenic' route in the vehicle back to the camp! Shimuwini was followd by three days in Letaba, three days in Shingwedzi, a night at Mopani. We then headed to Moz. coast for a few days before returning to Phalaborwa via Berg n Dal for one night and out the Kruger Gate. The following few days we staying in Phalaborwa and entered the park as day visitors.
Here is a selection of our photos.
It can be cold on the way to the morning walk! Especially for a couple of kids from balmy Queensland!

One happy and relaxed hippo!

I can watch baboons all day! Alex took this shot it is one of my favourites.

This old boy about to enjoy a mud wallow as the day warms up.

This lioness was with three half grown cubs and another lioness on the main road to Letaba not far from the second Sable Hide turnoff.

One of the many big buffalo herds seen in the Red Rock Loop area.

This lovely Nyala was in the Shimuwini entry road where we saw them last year too.

Two of the juvenile cubs which although not shown here, were in quite poor condition.

This lovely girl thrilled us by standing close to the car and whooping several times - something I have heard so often but never seen - on the secondary road from Letaba to Oliphants.

Will post some more later. I hope you enjoyed them. They are no great shakes photography wise but we do our best (new camera for next trip !)
We had a couple of good lion sightings at Shingwedzi. There seemed to be a resident pride quite close to the camp. Also on our second last day we were so fortunate to have a cheetah sighting in the very late afternoon on a side road several kms from Phalaborwa gate. Still looking for that elusive leopard. A couple of 'firsts' for me: a civet on a night drive from Shingwedzi and also on the same drive a Selous' mongoose according to the guide which is apparently uncommon. Near Mopani we were also lucky to see both Roan and Tssessebe! On the drive through the park from Berg n Dal we saw no less than 16 rhino! :D On most of our guided game drives (apart from the game drive from HELL - that's another story :lol: ) we were often the only ones in the vehicle and had a really terrific experience. Of course we drove ourselves about non-stop but night drives are often fascinating with the nocturnal critters out and about. Will post an Etosha Trip report from last year soon too - lots of amazing photos from there! Thanks for the help in getting me up to speed with photo pasting!

mouseinthehouse

Re: Kruger - Second Trip

Post by mouseinthehouse »

A cute little troop (?) of dwarf (?) mongoose in the early morning.

Thirsty ellies always prefer the freshest water. In Hwange at Guvalala Platform where you can sleep overnight I had an ellie drinking out of a tank over the top of the loo next to the platform In the pitch dark a large wet trunk came out of the tank up to the platform rail (about waist high) and felt it's way across my hand on the wooden railing!
These fat (pregnant) lionesses were lazing about in the dry riverbed just 500m from Shingwedzi camp gate.
[/img]
There just cool!
Can you identify this pair for me?
Part of a large herd of buffs on the move between Letaba and Satara. We estimated about 800+

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”