Flutts, The Brat and Mommo: Back in the Bush*

Bush Brat

Flutts, The Brat and Mommo: Back in the Bush*

Post by Bush Brat »

Last year October, Mom, Mommo and I spent four days in the park over my midterm break. It was a quick trip, and since then Mommo has not been back to Kruger. Mom and I were there in Feb., but only for 2 nights, so we are all really craving some proper time spent in the park, as usually we go an average of six nights, twice a year to the park! O\/ This trip will begin at Croc. Bridge for two nights, where I have never stayed before, then off to Olifants for another two, and lastly at Skuks for the last two.

As some of you might know, I recently got a new lens which I will be putting to good use over the next few days, hoping to score some awesome shots! ^Q^ This trip we have also decided not to do the usual night drive as Mom isn't mad about them, and the last couple times we've gone on them, we haven't seen much. Instead, we will be doing a walk along the Olifants river one morning, so that should be interesting! Especially considering my fear of anything that crawls or slithers. I'll most probably find myself doing long jumps and hurdles along the river bank every time I see a bug! --00-- Mom is also on a mission to find the elusive White Lions seen around the Timbavati Area recently. I'm not so optimistic, as we are not staying close to that area, so won't get much time to do the roads there, but you never know!

We're leaving at about 12;30am tonight, en route to Phabeni Gate. There's still lots to do before we leave; Mom's busy making biltong and muffins for the ride, the car needs a quick wash as Mommo likes leaving for the park in a clean car (Mom suggested I do it...wishful thinking! 0' ), washing must be washed, cameras must be cleaned and the huge pile of clothes I've been avoiding for the past few days, must inevitably be packed.

I think that's all there is to cover, but if I've left anything out, Mom's the word! O0 Let's hope the luck is on our side so that when we get back, we'll have a smashing TT to give you! 0()

Flutterby

Re: Flutts, The Brat and Mommo: Back in the Bush

Post by Flutterby »

Thanks BC. \O

Spotted the mistake RP! lol I started the biltong over the weekend - just had to slice it today. ;-) Droewors and muffins are also ready. O:V

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

WARNING: LION OVERLOAD - MAY CAUSE BOREDOM :twisted:

Day 1, 29/8/2015, JHB - Crocodile Bridge

So, after leaving Jozi just after 12.30am, and a very quiet drive, we arrived at Phabeni Gate at 5am. We got out our cameras, and the Brat was very excited to put his new lens to use...I think he got some great pics. \O Our first two nights were at Croc Bridge where we had never stayed before. Our route was along the S1, cut across on the S65, onto the H3, a detour to Biyamiti Weir, past Ampie se Boorgat on the S118, down to Berg-en-Dal and then on the S25 to CB.

It was a cool 12° but the sunrise promised a beautiful day.

We were first in the queue but were soon overtaken by a speeding JJ! O** Our first animal was a kudu and then we caught up with the JJ - we had just missed 7 lions in the road! 0*\ If he hadn't overtaken us we probably would have seen them. :evil:

Nyamundwa Dam was still quite full and a pod of hippos was chilling in the middle, the resident fish eagle was in its usual tree and an Egyptian Goose kept a look out.

After seeing bushbuck, steenbok, giraffe and 2 reedbuck :shock: , we had our first lion just after 7am. O:V He didn't hang around too long though.

Image © Bush Brat

While watching the lion disappear, I found this little Pearl-spotted Owl. ;-)

A duiker and her friend. :-)

We turned onto the S65 not expecting to see a lot as we've never had much luck on this road but it was full of game! :-0

Image © Bush Brat

Curious George

Image © Bush Brat

Image © Bush Brat

A giraffe with some strange neck markings.

tbc....

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Day 1, 29/8/2015, JHB - Crocodile Bridge cont.

Before I continue, I must share a special song my dad made up for the trip...loosely sung to the tune of "I'm so pretty"! lol O**

I'm so happy, I'm so happy
We're back in Kruger again
Elephant and buffalo aplenty we'll see
Cheetah and leopard, asleep in the shade or high in a tree
Lions, wild dog, please show yourselves to me
Look, a rhino - black or white - which one will it be?
Lots of birds, lots of buck
And around the corner, another surprise, what luck!
Don't despair, don't despair if the Big 5 are nowhere
For tomorrow for sure we'll find them somewhere
Light the fire, light the fire
For tonight it's red wine and braai
What a wonderful place, what a wonderful place
Kruger, you're not just a dream
You're very real to me!

O/\ O/\

So, continuing on the S65....

Image © Bush Brat

Black-crowned Tchagra

Crested Barbet

Brown-hooded Kingfisher and impala at N'waswitshaka

Image © Bush Brat

Coqui Francolin

Image © Bush Brat

Then it was onto the H1-1 for a short bit and then the H3.

LBR

Image © Bush Brat

tbc...

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Still on the H3 the Brat found something quite special - two Bronze-winged Coursers! O/\ We saw them once on a night drive but never managed to get pics so I was very happy. O:V

And our first big tusker! ;-)

Image © Bush Brat

Image © Bush Brat

This rhino had a nasty sore behind its leg. :-(

On the S113 we found an ellie having a snooze. :-)

Biyamiti Weir

Image © Bush Brat

Image © Bush Brat

Image © Bush Brat

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

The Brat says I'm taking too long with day one so I'll at least finish the morning drive! :O^

At Ampie se Boorgat on the S114 lots of ellies were arriving and taking turns to drink.

While watching them a hippo came from the river and approached the drinking trough.

He had a quick drink and then got into the trough and lay down! lol We spoke to a guide a little later who said this hippo does this everyday! =O: 0-

Wooly-necked stork

Image © Bush Brat

We turned onto the S118 and found 6 lions resting in the shade.

Image © Bush Brat

About 4kms further on we found another 3! :-0

Image © Bush Brat

We made a quick stop at Berg-en-Dal to have a look around and then got onto the S25. Apart from this African Hawk-eagle we didn't see anything worth stopping for.

We finally made it to Croc Bridge at about 2.30pm! We'd been in the car since midnight, so it was a relief to unpack and relax on our verandah with a view of the river. \O

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

This was our first time staying at Croc Bridge, so we weren't sure what to expect, but the camp is kept in beautiful condition. :yes: The gardens are beautifully green - I suppose they use water from the river? -O-

The brass is sparkling! :-0

They must water a lot to have mushrooms growing during such a dry period! O**

This Brown-hooded Kingfisher was always around. ;-)

Image © Bush Brat

As we were leaving for our afternoon drive we saw this ellie feeding next to the camping area. We would never have got the Brat to pose like this a couple of years ago! O** lol

We had decided to go up the S28, cut across the S137 and back down the H4-2.

A Grey Heron at Gesanftombi...

...and an ellie.

A lone rhino.

Image © Bush Brat

Full moon rising.

The end of a very long, but very good day! X#X

Bush Brat

Post by Bush Brat »

I told mom I'd do the next episode, so here goes...

Day 2, 30/8/2015, Crocodile Bridge

Before I begin, I should say that this day has got to have been one of the best days we have ever had in Kruger, so I suggest you get the 0() ready!
That morning we were meeting some of Mommo's friends at Mlondozi for breakfast so decided to head straight up the tar to Lower Sabie, and then take it from there. Once again, we were first at the gates, shortly followed by a convoy of 3 Land Rovers. The gates opened 4 minutes early, and so we were out searching for game. Soon enough mom spotted this young fish eagle next to the road.

Image ©Flutterby

The convoy came up behind us, and then overtook, which left me unimpressed as I wanted to be in front of the queue to catch anything in the road before it disappeared. Anyways, Mommo, thinking positively, said that the luck would be in our books today, and that we would find something in the road instead of them. So when 5 minutes later, a leopard crossed the road in front of us, I thought Mommo might be a psychic!

He didn't stick around too long and I didn't even manage to get a photo, but mom got this proof pic.

Image ©Flutterby

We waited around a bit hoping he would come back to the road, but he never did, so we moved on. We were all very happy as the leopard pressure was off and it seemed as if Mommo's positive thinking was going to pay off for us today! About 2km's up the road, we spotted the unmistakable figures of 4 lions next to the road. As we approached them, they moved a bit away, but still close enough to get some good shots.

Image ©Bush Brat

Image ©Bush Brat

Image ©Flutterby

Image ©Bush Brat

Image ©Flutterby

Image ©Flutterby

They looked like 3 teenagers with one adult, so we assumed the rest of the pride was out hunting and would return shortly, but after 45 minutes of waiting for them to make an appearance, we decided to move on. A little further on up the road, we found this male lion asleep.

Image ©Flutterby

While watching him, a lady stopped next to us to tell us about something about 5km's up, which had us rushing to see if they were still there... 0()

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

We had been told that there were 2 cheetah in the road about 5kms further on. :-0 We left the lazy lion wondering if they would still be around. 5kms later and there was nothing in the road, and the bush was very dense - not cheetah country at all. :-? About 4kms further on the bush opened up and we saw two cars stopped so we slowed down and searched but couldn't find anything. When we came up next to the first car they told us the cheetah had been in the road but a staff vehicle had scared them off. :O^ The other two cars left but there was a herd of impala nearby which looked quite skittish so we decided to wait around and search some more. We drove up and down the road a few times, we switched off and waited, and drove up and down a few more times. 0- After about half an hour of searching the impala suddenly took off in all directions and were making lots of noise, so we switched off again and waited. After about another 15 minutes the Brat spotted some movement in the grass - the cheetah were walking towards the road!! O/\ O/\ Our patience was being rewarded! O:V

Image © Bush Brat

Image © Bush Brat

Image © Bush Brat

There were now cars all over the place and the cheetah crossed the road and soon disappeared.

Image © Bush Brat

What a morning - 1 leopard, 2 lion sightings and 2 cheetah all before 8.30am!! O/\ O/\

Our next stop was at Sunset Dam where we found this pretty Malachite.

There was not much happening and we could see quite a few cars stopped further on. As my dad pulled off I was watching the far side of the dam when all of a sudden I saw a croc leap out of the water and what looked like an impala being flung in the air...and then there was a tree in front of me! 0*\ I screamed at my dad to stop and reverse, but by the time we could see the water again, the croc had disappeared under the water and the impala had all scattered! :shock: 0*\ We scanned the far bank but could see nothing except some nervous impala. I think I probably saw an impala leaping out of the way, and not one being grabbed by the croc, as I'm sure it would have struggled quite a bit and we would have seen some movement in the water. -O- The Brat and my dad were obviously upset at not having seen the action but that's the way it goes! O**

The cars further on were stopped for a lazy lion couple.

Image © Bush Brat

About 2kms further on we found another 2 young males! How's that for camouflage! ;-)

One moved and the Brat got a clearer shot. :-)

Image © Bush Brat

4 Lion sightings of 9 lions before 10am! O:V We then headed to Mlondozi for breakfast feeling very happy. :-)

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

The Brat getting artsy at Mlondozi.

Image © Bush Brat

Lots of hippos!

Mommo and the Brat...and look...I remembered the table cloth!! lol

Mommo and friends

This little lizard came to drink from some spilled water. ;-)

While at Mlondozi we got chatting to a group of youngsters, who, it turned out, were our neighbours at Croc Bridge, and were the ones who had overtaken us just outside the gate and missed the leopard and the lions! lol They asked if they could just follow us around! O**

We left Mlondozi feeling full and lazy, and the drive back to camp was very quiet. We settled down on the verandah with some drinks and I tried out my SASOL Birdfinder. I played calls of birds I had seen in the camp the day before and they all came to see who was intruding on their turf! lol

Kurrichane Thrush

Brown-hooded Kingfisher

Pied Wagtail

An ellie on the park boundary trying to escape! lol

A pretty flutterby. ;-)

My dad then taught us how to play Maltese Cross dominoes, and I had great fun winning! :-0

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”