Six days in heaven

SammyA

Six days in heaven

Post by SammyA »

Well we're back in the cold after two wonderful weeks in South Africa and an unforgettable six days in Kruger. :-(

Anyone fancy some teaser photos while I sort through the thousands we took? [O]

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Six days in heaven

Post by Mel »

:yes: :yes: :yes:

0()

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
SammyA

Post by SammyA »

They (whoever ‘they’ might be) say that once you have heard the cry of the fish eagle you will forever be destined to return to the African bush. Well this beauty certainly graced us with his cry, in fact Africa (and the Kruger Gods) well and truly spoilt us for six heavenly days!

We had six days and altogether I took over 3000 photos in the park!

We saw some incredible sights, some never to forget sights and some ordinary sights.

Some photos will be blown up and proudly displayed on walls, other are very much ‘proof I saw it’ photos.

There were sunrises, sunsets, tranquil looking ponds and desperately dry plains.

We saw glimpses in the distance from what felt like rush hour on a motorway and sat watching the most fascinating behaviour whilst others drove past because it was ‘just’ a common species.

Our time passed too quickly and now it's back to the real world of work and school. Is it too soon to start planning all over again? lol

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Never too early to start planning for next trip. SO and I even discuss what we wish for our next trip on the plane home. ..0..

Love your enthusiasm O\/ , so will await patiently 0() :yes:

Alf

Post by Alf »

It's always those small things that everyone drive past and miss just because the big 5 could be around the next corner....

Glad you enjoyed this short trip. 0()

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Lovely pics...looking forward to the other 2995! lol 0()

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

0() 0() 0()

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Ja, the call of the fish eagle is really special! :-0

And I totally like your sunrise photo. ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
harrys

Post by harrys »

0() 0() 0() 0()

That sunrise is superb ^Q^ ^Q^

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??
SammyA

Post by SammyA »

Thanks for your comments, the sunrise was our last morning in Africa, a stunning sunrise and the start to a wonderful morning. But I'm getting ahead of myself, I'd better start at the beginning.....

This trip has been well over a year in the planning, I’ve read trip report after trip report, joined facebook groups and poured over photos and maps (usually interrupting The Husband during the best bits of whatever he is watching to say ‘look at this......’, or ‘can you believe this happened’, he’s mastered showing just enough attention to keep me happy – a smile, a nod and a ‘yes dear’). I get ridiculously excited about travelling everything from packing (I will repack about 20 times before we leave) to the airport (I love airports such exciting places full of so many different people going on holiday, on business trips, coming home to their loved ones.)

Before we set off we each chose one animal we would love to see above all others, The Husband chose the cheetah (he has always loved cheetah), Ratbag chose lions, Monster said he really wanted to see ‘Raffes’ (Giraffes – he loves them) and I really, really want to see sable.

I’ve loved sable since I was about 8 or 9, I did a project on them as school and I’ve always thought they are the most beautiful antelope species (Gemsbok are a close second, but I’d be very surprised to see one of those on our travels!). I remember while doing that project and my father giving me an old battered copy of Harry Wolhunters ‘Memories of a Gameranger’, that battered old book has been dragged halfway across the world and read more times than I can remember. Looking back I’m not surprised I was always the odd one out at school – I mean how many 9 year old girls would read ‘Memories of a Gameranger’?

Although, of course, we won’t be disappointed even if we don’t spot any of our ‘really want to see’ species (although I’ll be amazed is Monster doesn’t get to see his raffes!) and we will be happy with whichever of her beauties Africa decides to revile to us. I’m often surprised when I read accounts of people sitting in traffic jams for ages to catch a glimpse of a lion sleeping 200m away under a tree or a spotty tail sticking out from behind a branch. There are so many wonderful sights to see, so much interaction to observe between the animals, it’s sad to think that so many people don’t pause to see the ‘less exciting’ sights in their haste to spot the big 5. Last time we were in the park we paused to watch two impala rams having a scrap, we sat for well over 20 minutes watching them pushing and shoving and chasing each other round, the girls they were fighting over looked most unimpressed with their testosterone fuelled squabbling but we thought it was wonderful, I do remember several cars that came crawling up to us, obviously expecting to see something ‘really exciting’ only to roll their eyes and zoom off again when told we were just watching the impala. Perhaps they went back to their friends to tell them the story about the crazy English people watching impala! lol

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”