A Flutter With My Brother

Flutterby

A Flutter With My Brother

Post by Flutterby »

Johannesburg - Phabeni

A couple of months ago my brother (Jonty) phoned to say he was coming out to SA in January and really wanted to go to Kruger. He left South Africa for the UK 20 years ago, and his last trip to Kruger was about 30 years ago!! During his time in the UK he got married, had two kids and then sadly got divorced a couple of years ago, but he said he was bringing his new girlfriend with him, who has been so SA a few times but never been to a game reserve. Turns out his girlfriend (Anna) is only 28....my brother is 52!! O** Anyway there was much excitement to organise the trip and I booked the safari tents at Lower Sabie and a guest house at Satara. They arrived on the 21st January and we were leaving for Kruger on the 25th. Unfortunately the Brat would not be joining us as he was flying back to Italy on the 24th. :-(

There was then much debating about what time to leave for Kruger. My dad wanted to leave at about 2am but my brother had specifically stated that this trip to Kruger was not about ticking off the Big 5 and staying out all day, but more about relaxing, spending time together and just enjoying being in Kruger after such a long time. Jonty suggested we leave at about 8am and I was happy to go along with this, but my dad was not, and even said he would not go if we left so late!! 0*\ Looking back now, we should have jumped at that offer! O** Finally it was agreed that I would fetch my dad at 3.30 and my brother at 4am. The Brat's flight was at 8pm on the 24th. We got to the airport at about 5pm and he checked in. A massive storm then broke over the airport so we went to have a coffee to wait it out. When the storm had subsided we said our goodbyes and drove home. :-( At about 7pm the Brat phoned to say that the flight had been delayed as their plane had been struck by lightening!! :shock: I immediately phoned my brother (who is a pilot) and asked him what this meant. He said it would either be delayed for a long time or the flight would be cancelled, but told me not to worry as they would not fly if there was the slightest doubt about safety. The Brat kept giving us updates, that they were running safety checks, but eventually at 10pm he phoned to say the flight had been cancelled. I know the Brat was disappointed but I can say that I was very relieved! :yes: SO then had to drive back to the airport to fetch him. However, they had to go back through passport control, collect their luggage and then wait for information about their rescheduled flight. They stood in a queue for two hours and were then told that they couldn't tell them anything and would receive an email confirming all the details! 0*\ They only arrived home at 1am! In the meantime I had phoned my dad and told him there was no way I could fetch him at 3.30am and that I would fetch him at 5am instead. He wasn't happy, but my brother was! ;-)

I arrived at my dad's place at 5am only to find him still in bed without a single thing packed!! O/ O/ So after all that fussing about leaving early he wasn't ready. 0*\ He got in the shower and I packed his bag and we eventually got to my brother's hotel in Sandton at about 5.45. My brother then couldn't find his sunglasses so there was more fussing about that, and we eventually left at about 6.15. :O^

ANYWAY....after all that preamble, time for Kruger..... :-0

We had a nice drive up to Phabeni, an easy check-in, and we were in the park. Our first animal was an impala and Anna was very excited. :-0 We had to stop for every impala so she could take another photo and we then told her we would see plenty and she didn't need to take photos of every single one! lol My first pic was of some buffalo not far from the gate.

002.JPG
002.JPG (191.08 KiB) Viewed 437 times

The water level at Nyamundwa was quite low! :shock:

003.JPG
003.JPG (124.62 KiB) Viewed 437 times

A peaceful scene.

004.JPG
004.JPG (245.43 KiB) Viewed 437 times

The park is so green and there are flowers everywhere! :yes:

005.JPG
005.JPG (238.36 KiB) Viewed 437 times

Then a nice sighting of a Dark Chanting Goshawk. :-0

007a.JPG
007a.JPG (95.75 KiB) Viewed 437 times

Our first ellie....Anna was now even more excited! O\/

009.JPG
009.JPG (209.28 KiB) Viewed 437 times

This is not a great pic as it's heavily cropped but I would guess at a Steppe Buzzard. -O- 0:

010.JPG
010.JPG (131.48 KiB) Viewed 437 times

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: A Flutter With My Brother

Post by Lisbeth »

What a day, night, morning or whatever 0*\

When did the Brat finally leave?

Must be fun to go to Kruger with a first-timer \O

(Your dad seems to have taken a leave from reality :-( )

Why do you make excuses for your raptor pic? All my bird pics look like that lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Alf

Post by Alf »

Chaos. Chaos. Chaos lol lol

How can one leave so late O**

By the time you have left i would enter the gate at Kruger ^0^

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Lisbeth wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:46 am What a day, night, morning or whatever 0*\

When did the Brat finally leave?

Must be fun to go to Kruger with a first-timer \O

(Your dad seems to have taken a leave from reality :-( )

Why do you make excuses for your raptor pic? All my bird pics look like that lol
Lis, he finally left the following night. His original flight was with Air France but it was changed to Swiss Air via Zurich. ;-)

I do like going with first-timers as you get to see everything through their eyes and feel their excitement at the common stuff.

My dad has definitely taken a leave from reality!! O** He sometimes thought I was my mom, and that my brother was his brother! :-(
Alf wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:08 pm Chaos. Chaos. Chaos lol lol

How can one leave so late O**

By the time you have left i would enter the gate at Kruger ^0^
It was chaos!! 0*\ We've always left early so we get to the park when the gates open, but after last time when we nearly had a head-on collision on the Schoemanskloof road I did not want to do it again. ;-)

harrys

Post by harrys »

Yoh that was hectic :shock: but at least you got to Kruger O/\

Now I can't wait to go, I've never been to the park when it's green O/\

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Here it is nice and green.......Mopane here, Mopane there, Mopane everywhere O** Where can I find a Baobab? ;-)

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

harrys wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:26 pm Yoh that was hectic :shock: but at least you got to Kruger O/\

Now I can't wait to go, I've never been to the park when it's green O/\
Yes harry, we finally got there! lol We also never go in summer so it was a real eye-opener to see it so green! :yes: \O

Lisbeth wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:50 pm Here it is nice and green.......Mopane here, Mopane there, Mopane everywhere O** Where can I find a Baobab? ;-)
I have to say I don't like that mopane bushveld. :no: Drive up to Shingwedzi...you'll see lots of baobabs! ;-)

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Will do \O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Aha! Another useless disorganised family - my kind of people! \O \O \O

And go the naughty 50s! X#X O\/ O/\ ^Q^ ;-) ;-) ;-)

Nice and green, Flutts - interesting the dam so low... O-/

I like the cloud bird! :-0

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Great but indeed a hectic start, Flutterby O**

Finally you arrived and you saw already a lot - I can really feel the excitement of Anna about the first and second Impala and then first ellie - I simply love that excitement being in Kruger lol

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”