A Boon With a View - Dimwits Olifants 2018 Mambas Returns Interactive Report

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Re: A Boon With a View - Dimwits Olifants 2018 Mambas Returns Interactive Report

Post by Klipspringer »

Lisbeth wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:56 pm Does that mean that there are two? Because where I went was quite normal and in another position :-? ............if we are still at Mooiplaas lol
The toilets are next to the parking area :yes:

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: A Boon With a View - Dimwits Olifants 2018 Mambas Returns Interactive Report

Post by Richprins »

We were a bit tired after the drunch, so off home for a fiesta, as oom Eddie used to call it! lol

<zz>

Then up for the highlight of the day....All Black vs Springboks at Loftus! ^Q^ O/\ O\/ X#X

The tv wasn't working at the camp, so we set up the laptop in the picnic area...all alone!

Frewells at the controls! :twisted:

q.jpg

The reception for the dongle was terrible, so we could only watch a few minutes at a time before it froze.. (0!)

The laptop was fully charged, but with all the messing around, with 2 minutes to go in the game and SA with a slender lead, suddenly...

q1.jpg

/ou/ 0= @#$

So we watched the rest on the cellphone, propped up against the laptop screen....we lost too! @#$

q2.jpg

Back at home more bad news....this mysterious sight met us... :-?

q3.jpg

Turns out a baboon had broken the sugar while we were out! O/ 0=

We assumed that after eating half a kg of pure sugar the baboon would be in Maputo by that stage, but that was cold comfort as we needed coffee the next morning, very important. :-(

So while the Dimwits got supper going I, as Chief Silver-Tongued Negotiator, took it upon myself to go and beg sugar from the neighbours! X#X ..0..

I stumbled off into the darkness bearing a small cup, like a slightly-inebriated Florence Nightingale, hoping for the best... O-/

It is amazing how few people have sugar...or there were just too many Auslanders that did not self-cater... 0-

At length I ended up at the fancy guesthouse on the corner, and I am ashamed to say I felt too inferior to knock... :o0ps:

Ready to give up, I spied a small hut on the terrace behind the road, with a topless old man standing on the balcony watching me! ..0..

These must be Afrikaners, I thought, and so it was! We struck up a nice conversation. It was a lovely hunter couple from Naboomstroom or somesuch, and they were leaving the next day, so the Tannie sommer gave me their entire sugar stock (a container I still have) and a giant bag of biltong and dry wors, probably worth about R500! O/\ :ty: :ty: :ty:

After talking some more to the Oom, and sort of convincing him to watch the Springboks again after years (he is a bit like Harry), I realised that it was tough enough standing, let alone standing for so long with my neck craned back talking upwards, so bid them a fond farewell and returned triumphantly, feeling very manly and successful, I must say! :yes:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

The next morning dawned cold and hlaudi! :-0

q4.jpg

After coffee with SUGAR we left on a very enjoyable drive indeed, as we had nowhere in particular to go for the day, so just meandered! These are the best drives! :yes: \O

q5.jpg

The Olifants Broken Veld biome looks like a nuclear holocaust at the best of times, so even worse in the dry conditions... :no:

q6.jpg

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

We saw LOTS of hyena on this trip! And they were not messing around, these ones, moving smartly on a mission! :shock:

q7.jpg

Swarms of swallows at the Bridge again! :shock:

q8.jpg

Spot the animal!

q9.jpg

Homework: Which extremely rare predatory bird does the Olifants High Bridge offer the best chance of seeing in Kruger?

Alf

Post by Alf »

A baboon eating sugar =O: =O:

Then a baboon looking for sugar lol

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Beastly baboons (0!)

You know, a lot of people do not use sugar ;-) But using it, it is hard to do without especially in the coffee :yes:

Also the hyenas look as if they have been under attack O**

Interesting pic from the bridge with all the swallows/martins and what almost look like "water holes" here and there. So different from the summer view :yes:

0()

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Pel's Fishing Owl?

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

:no:

It has to do with the bridge itself! :shock:

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I see! Standing on the bridge i.e.?

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

I also went begging for sugar at iMfolozi when monkeys stole ours! O** lol

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”