Time to start heading north

krugerbru

Re: Time to start heading north

Post by krugerbru »

Something I was hoping to see in this area of the park was a really big tusker. They have always fascinated me, and at their finest, they are more of a unicorn than any other of the big 5.

What we saw that afternoon really took my breath away. We stumbled upon, or rather he stumbled upon us, one of the biggest tuskers in Kruger. I later found out his name is Ndlovane, and he is magnificent.

I find his name rather amusing, as 'Ndlovane' means 'Small Elephant', and he is definitely not that. He has been given this name, not for his size but for his young age and great potential to develop into a future great tusker.

One morning we had the pleasure of spending time chatting to some of the honorary rangers, section rangers and members of the Emerging Tuskers Project at Mooiplaas Picnic Site. They were here observing some of the elephants in the Mopani region and were very thrilled about the cheetah and tuskers they had spotted in the area. Richard Sowry, the section ranger from Orpen region discussed with me, ways to improve my stay (by keeping the monkeys away) at Tamboti. Tips for next time \O

We did spend a lot of time at Mooiplaas picnic site, for obvious reasons for those have been there. It is truly one of the best in Kruger, it's close proximity to a Mopani Rest Camp seemingly contributing to it's lower usage, compared to a site like Timbavati. There is always activity there, and the absolute tranquillity definitely plays a huge part. Constant birdlife, including the Plum Coloured Starling who I took great pleasure in observing over a few sundowners.

Phineas, who run's the picnic site speaks of fantastic sighting there, including regular leopard coming to drink in the Tsendze River. We never got that lucky there, but the bushbuck, waterbuck, zebra and giraffe that came to drink there were perfect, and even complimented one evening by a pair of rhino that came down to visit. Lake Panic of the north :-0 (without the stifling silence for the kids)
Last edited by krugerbru on Sun May 05, 2019 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

krugerbru

Post by krugerbru »

Mel wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:10 pm Oh - my - word! That must be the tiniest, and of course the cutest, spottie pups that I have ever seen.
What a stroke of luck that mum brought them out that day!

A heavenly sunrise :-0

And I see you learned well from the boon, with the cold tea and all.
I spy with my little eye a green bottle of Tanqueray too… Nothing like a classic G & T for sundowners X#X
Well... you're right the Tanqueray is one of the first items in the car :)

Alf

Post by Alf »

We stopped at mooiplaas picnic area way back in 2008 for the first time and the grass was like 1,50m high. One could only see the top of the roof sticking out from the lapa down at the river. We got out of the car and looked around. We were the only car. We felt that creepy feeling and got back into the car lol

Every visit after that the grass was cut short and we enjoyed every minute there \O

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
krugerbru

Post by krugerbru »

Alf wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:33 am We stopped at mooiplaas picnic area way back in 2008 for the first time and the grass was like 1,50m high. One could only see the top of the roof sticking out from the lapa down at the river. We got out of the car and looked around. We were the only car. We felt that creepy feeling and got back into the car lol

Every visit after that the grass was cut short and we enjoyed every minute there \O
I can't even imagine it being so out of control, we love it now. I see you're off to Sirheni next. How amazing is it?

Alf

Post by Alf »

Sirheni is absolutely stunning. If i could i would go and stay there permanently \O

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Great tusker sighting!! \O \O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Marvelous stuff, bru! ^Q^

I really love the Mooiplaas pic, and the place is indeed my new favourite...

Rhino! Who knew? \O

There is an older tusker database run by one of our members, aat, which is much better - some of the names are different though! ;-)

http://www.tuskersofafrica.com/

viewtopic.php?f=243&t=503

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Sounds like my type of place - Mopiplaas :-0

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I loved Moiplaas from the moment that I arrived. The big tree full of birds and the lapa on the river. I have only seen waterbirds, but the whole atmosphere is relaxing \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Very atmospheric shots, Krugerbru, O/\

and great that you finally spotted such a tusker \O

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”