Sprocky's visits to Kruger Park

Sprocky

Re: Sprocky's visits to Kruger Park

Post by Sprocky »

Have to rush it Flutters, I don't want to be branded with the same iron as RP. =O: The heat was a bit rough, but things changed...

Shingwedzi Day 4 17 December 2013

This mornings plan was to do a long drive as the rain had cooled the area down very well. The sky was still very overcast with low cloud and quite dark. After grabbing a few take away toasted sarmies we set sail along the S50. The vegetation in the area around Kanniedood was very dense and the dam had a fair amount of water in it. Thinking that we would see a lot more game in the cool weather also proved to be a myth. I have no idea where the animals vanished to, all that was seen was the regular Impies and then a few Crocs and Hippos in the distance at the water. The sightings continued in this manner all the way along the S50. When we turned right onto the S143 (Tropic of Capricorn) I expected to see much more. The reality was even worse, all that we saw along the entire S143 was a few Elephant on the horizon, even at Tihogonyeni there was absolutely nothing, not even Impala or Zebra, in fact not a single mammal. Luckily there were a few flocks of birds that kept us busy along the S143. There were hundreds of them, I have them as a mix of Amur Falcons and Red-footed Falcons. It was amazing to see, birds perched on the road and in trees and bushes alongside the road, as soon as we approached they would fly off and form huge flocks in the air flying in different patterns yet maintaining in a set area. I tried to get pics of them, not very good but here they are...

This is a small section of the one aerial flock while flying randomly yet keeping together as a flock...

During this time the rain was falling lightly for a few minutes and then stopping again, only to start again every 10 to 15 minutes. We then turned right on the S144 (Old Main Road) and headed north. Still nothing to be seen so we made our way back to camp, only arriving there just before 16h00. The rain held off and afforded us time to enjoy yet another braai.

The drive home next...

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
nan

Post by nan »

wow the Falcons O/\ ^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Bush Brat

Post by Bush Brat »

Just caught up Sprocks! \O
Your photos are fantastic! Great colours and clarity! ^Q^ ^Q^

Pity about the lack of sightings and the weather extremes, especially when you are camping! ^0^ :-0

0() 0() Hope the drive home produced something good!

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Jezz, flying along Sprocky :shock:

Fantastic pics once again ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Super Mongoose

Post by Super Mongoose »

Hey Sprocks, glad I caught the TR just in time!

What I would like to know is what Shing looks like now? just like before with its historic white wash bungalows and lovely big trees or still a lot of flood damage or still looking like a building site? Hope you have pics of the camp!

Imagine RhiNOs!
We have to stand together to STOP the madness!
Please support a Rhino project!
Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

Sorry SM, no pics of the camp. :o0ps: But, I must say, it doesn't look like there were floods a year ago at all. Everything looks clean fresh and new. \O

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
Super Mongoose

Post by Super Mongoose »

That's great news Sprocks, Shing and Letaba my favourite places to camp! :-( would have like some pics of the camp...

But love your Woody and Amur pics! they are always a treat to see!

Imagine RhiNOs!
We have to stand together to STOP the madness!
Please support a Rhino project!
PRWIN

Post by PRWIN »

lovely shots and sightings \O

http://prwinnan.wix.com/prwinnan-photography
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Well done, despite all, Sprocks! X#X X#X X#X

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Amur and red-footed falcon together :shock: (green!)

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”