Lions for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (October 2019)

ExFmem

Re: Lions for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (October 2019)

Post by ExFmem »

Glad you got a kick out of my Meerkat-Dog - I'll post a pic in the Pet thread at some point. She weighs 8 lbs, so not sure if she's as small as a real meerkat, but she loves to dig and eat whatever it is she finds. :-? 0-

SO glad to see you continuing with the TT ^Q^ I never knew there was a resident Pearlie, lovely shots.

The Kudu with the Aladin shoes =O: =O: also confused us on another trip - I had posted it in "What Is It?" (pgs343-348) not knowing it was unusual. Finally it was ID'd as laminitis. Interesting to see yours as well.

Ah...our dear Hanri... 0/0 0/0 she has won over my heart as well. Such beautiful shots O/\ O/\ Why do you think you may not see her again - normal cheetah casualities/changing territories, or maybe thinking you will not go to the KTP as often in the future? WE NEED YOU THERE FOR SO MANY REASONS! 0/0

0() 0()

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I might be wrong, but I seem to remember that we already got an answer on those hooves from an expert :-?

Hanri seems to be good to everybody visiting the Aoub river bed. She always seems so relaxed and also confident. Almost time for the next litter O/\

Like Ex, I wonder why you think that you will not see her again :-? Finally had enough of KTP? lol --00-- --00--

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

WoW to your cheetah shots, Mel :-0

You saw that many of them and got so nice close ups ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

That owl is also a cutie O\/ O\/

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Richprins wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:11 am How touching, Mello! \O :yes:

You'll see here again, I'm sure! \O

Do you take photos with you so as to ID them on the spot? -O-

I'll pass the kudu/aladdin on for comment - put it up under strange behaviour so long? ..0..
Hanri is nine years old by now, so, yes, she might be around for some time longer, but there is also a higher chance by now that she's not.
And she's particularly dear to me and a lot of other people, because she provided many special experiences :-0

Thanks for passing on the kudu. I will set a link into an extra post for those interested who might read here at some point. \O

As for the ID: There is an outdated guide that is available at any camp, but of course we also have a digital one with us plus photos of
those that are not in there. So I'm usually able to say right away who we saw. Same goes for the leopards.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Sprocky wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:21 am What a cool sighting of Hanri. \O
Thank you, Sprocky X#X

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Alf wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:26 am Stunning cheetah pictures
Those hooves look really strange for a kudu :-?
It's not the first time we saw a kudu like that but for some reason I didn't take photos in the past. :-?

And thanks! \O

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Flutterby wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:44 am Stunning pics of Hanri! ^Q^ ^Q^

I've seen a kudu like that in Kruger....I think it's called laminitis. :-?
Thanks for the praise and the info, Flutts O0

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

ExFmem wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:06 am Ah...our dear Hanri... 0/0 0/0 she has won over my heart as well. Such beautiful shots O/\ O/\ Why do you think you may not see her again - normal cheetah casualities/changing territories, or maybe thinking you will not go to the KTP as often in the future? WE NEED YOU THERE FOR SO MANY REASONS! 0/0
As I already said to RP - she is getting old(er) now and I guess I'm just afraid that she might not recover quickly enough anymore should something happen to her while hunting or such. Which then again would make it harder for her to feed herself. Well, I think, you get my drift... Lisette and Elena both disappeared around the age of 11. I certainly do hope Hanri will get as old and maybe even outlive that age - but you never know.

But on a positive note: Hanri's female cub from 2016 was seen in December / January. She was looking strong and healthy and she is the first offspring that has been seen again after dispersing from mum. Hopefully she's one to take over the role of the ever present cheetah mums in the riverbed :yes:

As for not going that often anymore: There are several reasons. One certainly are the rising costs for flights and also for the accommodation in the park. And the other is that once all the approved building commences, the park will get even more crowded - and damaged - than it already is. Also, I think picnic sites at 14th and Bedinkt are plain crazy and will consume too much of the anyway rare water which in turn will be missing for the animals. O/

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Lisbeth wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:11 pm I might be wrong, but I seem to remember that we already got an answer on those hooves from an expert :-?

Hanri seems to be good to everybody visiting the Aoub river bed. She always seems so relaxed and also confident. Almost time for the next litter O/\

Like Ex, I wonder why you think that you will not see her again :-? Finally had enough of KTP? lol --00-- --00--
I do wish for a final litter for Hanri but the fact that she didn't have any cubs this time around makes me doubt she will go for more offspring.
But I secretly hope that she might have had cubs that we don't know of because she lost them before they were ready to emerge. Happened to Elena as well and she had a final set of three before getting to old to be a mum.

Never tired of the KTP, but it starts to hurt to see its deterioration. It's becoming more and more the circus of the Kruger...

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Pumbaa wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:33 pm WoW to your cheetah shots, Mel :-0

You saw that many of them and got so nice close ups ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

That owl is also a cutie O\/ O\/
:ty: Pumbaa!

We actually didn't see that many different individuals. Actually only five. But the single cheetah (Hanri) kept us entertained on different days. :-0

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”