"Imagine" - A Comfort Van in the Kgalagadi*

puppy

Re: "Imagine" - A Comfort Van in the Kgalagadi

Post by puppy »

23 March Polentswa
It is still raining when we wake. We decide not to break camp but to wait and see if the new occupants would mind swapping with us. We go out for a morning drive and are in awe of all the water that is about.

We have to go into 4WD range to get through the river on the road.

We see lion tracks and follow them till they disappear over the ridge. At Kousant we find gemsbok drinking at a much bigger waterhole than yesterday!
There are game about but the animals won’t need to come to the drinking holes now that there is water aplenty lying around. We spot bat-eared foxes and suspect they have a den near Polentswa waterhole. They do not come close enough for good photographs. As we are racing back to Polentswa waterhole I call to Earl to stop – there is an African Jacana on the side of the road. He reverses but it flies off. I play the call on my phone and we see him fly up, over the car and away. No photograph! What is a jacana doing in the desert!
At Polentswa waterhole we find the mother owl and hear the juvenile calling. We trace the call to another on the exit road, take a photo and then return to the waterhole. The mother is at the edge of the pond and we watch her take a bath and a drink. It is the highlight of our day.
phpBB [video]

We return to camp and Jim calls me to see a squacco heron in the tree behind the caravan – another strange find in the desert!
Maureen and I wash up last night’s dishes and then she cooks us bacon and eggs for breakfast. We manage to eat our meal under the A-frame but soon the rain returns and we scurry for our caravans. We have a drink of Oxo at midday and then it really comes down in buckets. This is set in for the day or longer. Earl and I are sitting in the car listening to music while he reads the Land Rover Manual and I type up the diary and sort out photographs. We are collecting rain water that drips from the tarpaulin into buckets and basins!
When the rain stops we go and check how the roads look after the storm. There is water everywhere and it is unlikely that we will see animals at the waterholes!
Later we see that some people have taken up occupancy of Site 1. Jim goes to speak to them. They say they are supposed to be on Site 3. But Daan and Jeanette are booked there. So there has been a major mix up as to where people should be. We are safe on Site 2 for now! In any case the Site one occupants have decided to go to the lodge for the night because of the weather. They are a guide and a Swiss couple and the wife wants to dry out and have a decent shower as they have just driven through from Mabua! Who can blame her?
While we are sitting waiting for Daan and Jeanette come for drinks two rabbits make an appearance.
It is cold and Maureen makes gluwine which is delicious.
For supper I cook Camp Risotto which included rice, lentils, butter beans, onion, garlic, canned mushrooms and canned peas!

https://puppy1952.wordpress.com
puppy

Post by puppy »

24 March Polentswa

It rained again in the night but this morning, though cold the weather has cleared. Nevertheless I dress in jeans and a long sleeve shirt and we make our way through the deep puddles to Polentswa waterhole.
The baby owl is the only creature of real interest.
We continue to Kannegaus and on the way find a rabbit in our path. There is plenty of water on the road and all the waterholes are flooded with other water lying about nearby. We see mainly wildebeest and gemsbok drinking.
The sandgrouse are having a lovely time with more choices of water supply and less hassles from lanners. We find them drinking all over the place.
Of course the lanner was there trying to get breakfast
We were back in camp by lunch time and the weather had warmed up to shorts and t-shirt status again.
For dinner Maureen cooked a lovely meal of mince, potatoes and gem squash. It was pleasant sitting out but by 8 o’clock it looked like it would rain so we got into our caravans and had an early night. There was a brief storm but nothing too serious.

puppy

Post by puppy »

We wake to the sound of roaring lions this morning. I look out to see Jim shining his torch into the bush while standing guard at the long drop. I think the lions are just behind the tree but Earl assures me that they are far away.
We go south all the way to Nossob 60 km away. There is still a lot of water on the road and we see very little game.

At Polentswa we have been very frugal with our water supplies and showering has been limited to 30 second splash downs. So as soon as we get to Nossob we go the the ablutions for a shower. Joy of joy we find that the geyser system has been repaired and we have loads of hot water.
We then go to refuel and shop. I go ahead while Earlybird is at the filling station. When he comes in, he says - "where is our envelope of cash?"
On our way here I'd checked how much there was and put it back in the cubby hole. "It's not there, " he says.
Men! They look with boy eyes. I go and check, search and search - no envelope! It must have been stolen. But the wallet, iPad, cell phones, cameras are all untouched. I begin to doubt myself. Did I drop the envelope out of the car? I return to the ablution block and search around the area where we were parked. I report the loss to reception. The attendant asks me Where did you last have the cash? You must check your car thoroughly. But after all 4 do us search nothing turns up. Maureen pays for our purchases then we search again. I am sure I put the envelope on top of the handbook which sits on a bracket in the cubby hole. Maureen feels down the back of the cubby and declares that she can feel something. Earlybird tries too and agrees with her but is it the envelope? There is no way of grabbing it or reaching it any way so we go to the picnic site, enjoy our brekkie and decide to take the cubby apart when we get back to camp. Our men have tools for the job.

Our return it is heartening to see lots of game. The rainfall has brought them back. But no cats again today.

We return to camp and as Maureen is about to step into her caravan she spots something curled up next to her fridge. She leaps away nimbly and yells - snake!

I grab my camera, Earl runs with a tent pole yelling Don't worry I'll catch it. Jim also bravely approaches the spot while M and I scream don't let it bite you. We don't have snake bite kits. The macho men approach and Earl hooks him onto the pole and flings him away and onto the ground. The snake refuses to scurry off so he lifts him again and throws him under a tree where it curls up and goes back to sleep. My hero!

He goes straight back to sleep under the tree

After the excitement dies down Maureen washes last nights supper dishes and I dry. Then Earlybird and Jim get going with torque keys and screw drivers. There is much grunting and groaning and struggling as the task is not as easy as they'd hoped. Maureen calls Jim for lunch but Earl refuses to give up. I fear that the effort is for naught and my fears are confirmed when he manages to get his hand behind the cubby and says there is nothing here. But he struggles on and although he doesn't get the cubby hole free he manages to free it a little more. "I can see it," he yells and Jim brings a pair of pliers. He grips the envelope and to my delight R3500 is returned to my grateful hands. For the second time today my hubby is my hero.

He then cooks us bacon and egg sandwiches and we sit and relax while watching lightening and listening g to thunder. The storm is some miles away but within minutes a bright flash of lightening and deafening clap of thunder warn us that we had better get to the caravan immediately. Earlybird and Maureen pack the chairs under her shelter and I run and put everything that's out away, and shut up our kitchen. Just as we close the door the rain comes pelting down and an enormous wind violently rocks the caravan. After 5 minutes it gets worse and rips the tent poles out of the ground and the tarpaulin pulls free from the Velcro. Earlybird rushes out to rescue what he can. Jim's solar panels are whipped up by the wind and Earlybird chases after them too. Jim rushes out to help. Our tent poles are bent and the hooks scattered around the campsite. It's all over in 20 minutes and then the mopping up begins. Not too much damage but we decide to do without the extra side tarpaulin for now. Earl is my hero yet again.
The rain clears and there is calm once again.

In the evening we have a braai. As we turn in for the night we hear Maureen scream – it’s back and it hissed at me. Earlybird calls out – Just hang on – I’m coming – He tries to get his head torch on but the strap comes loose – it’s seems like hours but is only seconds before I help him get it together again – he rushes forth with braai tongs in hand and he and Jim march off like Vikings into the night to release the scary monster far away so that it can no longer find its way back to scare us again! Fortunately no creatures of the night devoured them on their quest!

puppy

Post by puppy »

26 March Polentswa

It is a lovely morning once again and we go out for an early morning drive. The owl is in his usual place, screaming for food from Mom.
We drive 5 km north and then turn around and go to Koussant Water Hole but do not see anything too exciting. We enjoy the birds, however, and are delighted to see that there is so much water around. The KTP really needed these rains. It does mean that the animals don’t need to come to the waterholes and are making themselves scarce. There is quite a bit of devastation after the storm and we find blown down trees across the road. Fortunately there are detours that we can take round therm.
We are once again fascinated to find water birds in the dessert. Isn’t it amazing how creatures instinctively know where there are new water venues! We have fun watching the jacana hawking in a puddle in the middle of the road. Lots of waders also appear. Black-winged stilts can be seen all over the place.
A greenshank I think
Juvenile stilt

We return to camp for brunch and have bacon and egg sandwiches. Later in the afternoon, M and J decide to stay in camp to complete their packing and Earl and I go for a birding drive. We also find red hartebeest having a confrontation
A lesser grey shrike is nice to see.

What is a three-banded plover doing in the desert? Clearly the message of fresh water got to him too.

A scaly feathered finch posed nicely.

The familiar chat did not want to be left out.

We have a quiet evening after last night's excitement and tomorrow it's off to Twee Rivieren.

puppy

Post by puppy »

Friday 27 march 2015 polentswa to twee rivieren

It is a long drive to Twee Rivieren and we are packed up and ready to leave by 6:40. We stop off at Nossob to refuel and find out if the road south has suffered any damage from the storm There is no diesel! Fortunately we have enough to get us there with some to spare!

The sightings are mainly bird. There are the usual gemsbok, springbok and red hartebeest about but otherwise nothing particularly exciting.

Red Hartebeest are always willing models

Melkvlei Picnic Spot was completely flooded. We could have had a swimming party here lol

It was great to find a black-chested snake eagle. He looked surprised to see so much water about.

We find the campsite very full at TR. Our site is small and we are cheek to jowl with other campers but we all have sufficient shade. Although we have booked a site with electricity we can't find one with an outlet nearby but we have two long leads and so the men make a plan.

Once we have set up camp we check in at reception and then drive 5km to the Kgalagadi Safari Lodge where they have a wonderful shop with fresh produce! What a treat to find a variety of fruit and vegetables as well as bread, yogurt and plenty of other things that are unavailable in the park! We are like kids in a candy store as we pick and choose – goodbye canned food!

After our shopping we sit on the deck and enjoy sundowners before returning to camp.

There are lots of birds in the campsite including this Acacia Pied Barbet

To our surprise and delight we find that the Bush Lapa Caravan next to our site belongs to Daan and Jeanette. We do not realise it is theirs until they return from their game drive. It is their last night in the park and we all braai together – Maureen does the butternut, Jeanette the potato salad and I make a Greek Salad. We have a delightful evening around Jeanette and Daan’s table and a firm friendship is forged. Hopefully we will catch up with them in Wellington sometime in the future.

puppy

Post by puppy »

28 March 2015 Twee Rivieren

The rain seems to be holding off and there is no wind at all today. We go out early as usual and take the Mata Mata Road until the Dune Road turnoff and then take that. It is a very successful drive as far as birds are concerned.

First up we have the iconic tawny eagle looking stunning in the early morning sunlight.

Next a black shouldered kite poses beautifully

We giraffe are not as pleased to see us as we are to see them and they saunter off into the hills.

A female Norhtern Korhaan does not elude us

A Marico Fly-catcher is looking dapper and neat

And a little Steenbok gives us an inquisitive stare

Earybirdl has not yet filled up with Diesel so we do not go any further than Melkvlei which is largely flooded but we find a table that is on dry ground and have a late breakfast there. On our return trip we have some interesting sightings. A tortoise and springbok find the road puddles convenient drinking places. But the springbok seems too nervous to drink while the tortoise is there. He eyes him with suspicion.

The tortoise kindly makes way for his fellow creature

Only then does the springbok take a drink

Suddenly Earlybird skriks and swerves. What has he seen?

We get some good photos of him before he slithers off into the bush toward a secretary bird. They haven’t seen each other but if the sec bird spots the snake he will become lunch!

Fortunately for the snake he gets away unseen. The bird is too intent upon her ablutions.

Back at camp we go to the shop which is better stocked than Mata Mata and Nossob. We get hot pies and ice creams for lunch – what a treat!

We spend the afternoon in camp catching up with chores and diary writing etc. For supper we pool ingredients and Maureen cooks us a delicious chicken stew.

puppy

Post by puppy »

29 March 2015 Twee Rivieren
There is great resistance to rising early this morning and Earl lies in a little later while I am off to the showers at 5:30. I hear later that Jim felt the same way! As we wait in line for to collect our permits, Maureen says – It’s so overcast today – we probably won’t see very much – not the right conditions. Don’t be so sure, I say, anything can happen – the bush is unpredictable! We go through the gate as dawn is breaking and a brilliant red sky greets us, Earl says – I don’t see the point of these early starts! No self-respecting animal will be at the waterholes and there is so much water lying about they don’t even need to be near the roads! Blah-blah, moan-moan. I smile sweetly and offer to drive which is met with a firm no thank you.

It is 7 am and what is this up ahead. Jim and another car are stopped and as we approach I call out – Lion – no cheetah! Three are crouched together chewing something in the dirt. The animals tend to lick the dust for its salt content. We cannot make out anything else edible. We watch the three interact and have fun And the scene is on the correct side of the road in the golden light!

There is a single gemsbok on the dune watching carefully, fully aware that he could become breakfast. The trio suddenly get up and one by one start walking towards the dune. We follow and hope to see a chase but not today. The gemsbok decides that caution is the better part of valour and gallops off.

A little further on Jim stops. We catch up and see a jackal taking off. But wait there are two more and they’re on a kill! Did they take down this springbok on their own – I think not. It was probably a leopard. The jackals tear at it and one by one as they satiate themselves quickly leave the scene.

This is a pretty good start to our day. Let us content ourselves with birding now as there can’t possibly be anything more exciting in store.

It is 8:30 and what do we see? More cheetahs – but on the East side of the road – into the sun. There are 5 of them – Mother and four teenager kittens. And they are eating a fresh kill of Gemsbok!

How lucky are we! We watch them and photograph them for ages. The cheeky jackals are hovering and trying to get a paw in. But the mother chases them off.

The tawny eagles – three of them fly in and try to make a grab but Mom jumps into the air to frighten them off.
The little ones scrap and fight for dominance of the kill. Then Mom comes to get her share, disciplining the greedy kids. Every now and then she chases the jackals away. Then all of a sudden all five of them take off across the road with us following and disappear over the hill. We realise that something has frightened them off.
To be continued:...

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

All the waders - how great is that to see them in the KTP?!! ^Q^
puppy wrote:The familiar chat did not want to be left out.
I reckon, this is not a familiar chat but some sort of lark. Unfortunately I'm not very good at those, but it might be a fawn-coloured. :-?

The three cheetahs are the Top Cat Gang... I can positively ID Benny and Choo, am not to sure about the one lying and looking to the left. Need a bit more time for that, but it's either Choo or Fancy since the one standing is Benny.

And the mum with the four is Corinne. In the photo where they play tug-of-war all five of them, she is the cheetah on the right at the back.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
puppy

Post by puppy »

I reckon, this is not a familiar chat but some sort of lark. Unfortunately I'm not very good at those, but it might be a fawn-coloured. :-?

The three cheetahs are the Top Cat Gang... I can positively ID Benny and Choo, am not to sure about the one lying and looking to the left. Need a bit more time for that, but it's either Choo or Fancy since the one standing is Benny.

And the mum with the four is Corinne. In the photo where they play tug-of-war all five of them, she is the cheetah on the right at the back.[/quote]
thanks, Mel I did have my doubts about this bird. Thanks for the cheetah I D

puppy

Post by puppy »

29 March Twee Rivieren - Continuing

We return to the scene to find a male lion making a meal of the left overs. Clearly the howling of the jackals have alerted him to the fact that a canteen is open nearby.
We watch the lion feast and then walk off. He finds a puddle of water and drinks for a while then walks back and over the dune and and disappear. What an amazing sighting.
We continue to Melkvlei for breakfast and then retrace our steps to find the kill site awash with scavengers.
A tawny waits to have a turn
Lappet-face Vulture ready for action
White-backed vulture wanting a bit of action too.
Is this a Cape Vulture?

Jim and Maureen are ahead of us but we waste time watching baby ostrich and then slowly follow on.
At Rooiputs waterhole we find the wildebeest having a Sunday afternoon nap. We try to catch up with Jim but he is way ahead.
Then suddenly Earlybird yells – Lynx – and a caracal crosses in front of us with a ground squirrel in his jaws. Omigosh! I am beside myself trying to get a photograph but he darts up the dune and disappears. I’ve lost my opportunity.
Let’s wait and see - I say to Earybird - He may appear.
And sure enough he emerges from behind a tree and looks at us – kill hanging from his mouth.
We keep him in our sights until he settles under a distant tree. The squirrel is behind him and he is panting to regain his breath. We manage few poor photographs and watch to see if he will feast upon his prey – but clearly he is saving it till later.
No other car comes by and we need to move on. Around the corner we see “Boshuisie” – grandparents in a campervan with their little grandchild. We stop them and tell them where to find the caracal. Follow us, we say, we will turn around and show you exactly where. Two other cars appear and we show them all where to find the caracal. I persuade Earlybird to turn into the waterhole and we find two birds – a greenshank and double banded plover. Back at camp Jim and Maureen are just tucking into their lunch. We tell them about our special sighting then make chicken sandwiches for our own lunch. We plan to bird in the camp but the rains come and we only manage to get the pearl spotted owlet.

The rain lets up enough for me to cook and for us to eat our meal. Earl and I drive to the ablutions to shower and do our teeth and by the time we return the rain is coming down!

And For Lisbeth - A piccie of me at Mata Mata
Last edited by puppy on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”