Table for One - my first solo safari

ExFmem

Re: Table for One - my first solo safari

Post by ExFmem »

Thanks for hanging in here Mel, Sis, Flutts, RP, Dewi, and nan. 0/0

Liz, you asked if those were flies - yes, they're Mythicomyiidae (Micro Bee Flies) - here's a link to the entry on them in AW's Insect Book on Fllies:

viewtopic.php?p=269528#p269528

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

The next morning I decided to drive to Union's End, but unfortunately when I arrived I found that the waterhole was dry, so headed back south to Kannaugas waterhole. Nothing special there as well, so decided to head back north to the Union's End picnic site where I could get out of the car and photograph some insects - always my go-to backup plan.

Being alone, I decided to stay close to the car, planning to move it to different areas, instead of roaming around as I normally do when SO is along. I scanned my surroundings as carefully as I possibly could and saw nothing but a lone springbok grazing peacefully.

Good to go, I began scouring the area for buglets, and settled on some black and white bees on a yellow flower. As I knelt down I heard the unmistakable hack/snort/whatever category-of-cacophony a springbok makes as an alarm signal.

Rut-roh…lion? leopard?…nope. Just behind the far north picnic table was a gorgeous cheetah passing through on its way to the roadway.

Cheetahs aren't too scary, mainly elegant and awe inspiring. Too cool, especially after such a slow morning! I didn't want to scare him, so I remained motionless behind the car and waited for him to move out of sight.

I then jumped in the car, grabbed my other camera, and slowly pursued him, staying far away until I could tell he really wasn't spooked by my presence. He leisurely strolled along the roadway, through the grasses, sat down and rolled over, then continued on his happy go lucky way until I lost sight of him.

This was certainly a highlight of my trip - where else can a foreigner or a local, have a cheetah sighting all to themselves with little chance of any other car, and it be a new cheetah to boot, that they get to name? O/\ O/\

I had previously named a female cheetah after "our" Mel, but that cheetah was later recognized as a previously named individual. I would have named this one "Mel", but she'd either have to rename herself "Male", or have a gender reassignment procedure. :yes: :no: Pretty sure Mel wouldn't go for this plan, so I chose the name "Segosi", which means royal, or regal.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

ExFmem wrote: Liz, you asked if those were flies - yes, they're Mythicomyiidae (Micro Bee Flies) - here's a link to the entry on them in AW's Insect Book on Fllies:

viewtopic.php?p=269528#p269528
They are bee flies ;-) :ty:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Well hey Scoob, well spotted. Give yourself a Scooby snack. ^Q^

Lovely photos. ^Q^

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

What a beautiful creature and great captures, especially the one with the tree O\/ O\/ ^Q^ ^Q^

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
nan

Post by nan »

Like you, I stay nearby the car....... but never, EVER with a Cheetah :-0
O/\ O/\ O/\

and a new one... with a new name from yourself : SEGOSI O\/

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Gender reassignment =O: =O: =O: But, no, I don't think so, thanks :twisted:
Lovely thought though! 0/0

What a cool cheetah Segosi is. I really hope he'll grace us with his presences in October. Would be fantastic! :-0

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Wow, he is beautiful!! :yes: Awesome sighting! \O \O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Ruh Roh! =O:

Exquisite pic of the boy, and so nice to have your own sighting, it triples the value! X#X

:ty: Ex!

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

WoW ExFmem,

caught finally up and must say your cat luck was inrecidlbe - Love the bird shots and the once from the small critters as well - They are very special \O

That corn cricket close up is scary \O :ty:

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”