An Almost Boring Trip in March 2018...

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: An Almost Boring Trip in March 2018...

Post by Lisbeth »

All at the same moment (apart from the cobra) :shock:

Lovely young leopard and the ugly ones are always worth watching \O

Great pic of the Ludwig's bustard ^Q^ ^Q^

We saw quite a few, but far up north just after Grootkolk going south.

A pity that your arm did not cooperate :-( 0/0

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Dindingwe wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:05 pm The title is not promising but the pictures are ^Q^ . What a pity you could not take much more :-(
Hyena and Leopard at the same place is a great sighting. The Leopard seems to be rather young.
I had to choose an unpromising title in order not to raise too many expectations lol

But this certainly was a nice highlight, even if it was the only excitement (apart from the cobra) happening. O**

Thanks \O

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

ExFmem wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:52 am 0/0 Your experience in KTP seems to be a mirror image of ours in Kruger. SO sorry about your struggles - obviously can relate O/ O/

You still had very special sightings at Grootkolk - ^Q^ ^Q^

The cobra pic is way too cool :-0 :-0

Ready for more \O \O 0() 0()
It was the ONLY two sightings at Grootkolk though... The Grootkolk lion a bit north of the camp, but flat out in the shrubs...
So not accommodating 0'

But we didn't complain: our first day time leopard at GK O\/

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Richprins wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:15 pm What incredible luck at the waterhole, Mello! O/\

Never seen leopard and hyena together! X#X

Love the snake! :shock:

Nice and green there. :yes:
It had just rained before we arrived and while we were there we did have the odd shower as well. :yes:

Thanks! 0/0

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Pumbaa wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:49 pm Thanks Mel,

that cobra shot is great and for sure the young leopard is a beauty, plus brownie and a Ludwig's \O \O
Seein it listed like that, it doesn't sound bad at all lol

Thanks! O0

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Not even antelopes?

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Lisbeth wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:58 am All at the same moment (apart from the cobra) :shock:

Lovely young leopard and the ugly ones are always worth watching \O

Great pic of the Ludwig's bustard ^Q^ ^Q^

We saw quite a few, but far up north just after Grootkolk going south.

A pity that your arm did not cooperate :-( 0/0
Ja, they gave us quite a show. There was actually a red hartebeest in the vicinity as well (I got a three in one shot somewhere),
that had alerted us to predator being around by acting strangely and not daring to come to the waterhole. O**

We normally only see Ludwigs up in the Lijers area. This one was somewhere around Leeuwdril and Rooiputs. Never seen any
so far south. And rather close to the road too without running off the instant we stop the car. lol

Thanks! 0/0

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Lisbeth wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:59 pm Not even antelopes?
Not many. Like I said to RP, it had rained before and the animals found water elsewhere.
There was the odd wildebeest, hartebeest, springbok or oryx, but not the decent sized herds
that we know from previous years. And especially the kudus didn't come as regularly as in the
years before.

The brownies did though. Like clockwork - early morning and in the evening before our bedtime lol

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

After six nights at Grootkolk we had an indecent amount of seven nights at Urikaruus. People wanted to kill us for it, with one particularly annoyed woman accusing us of foul play because she found that it's impossible to even get just one night. I refrained from telling her that it was the second time in a row we got that lucky ^0^ :twisted:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Highlights from that side included a gymnogene close to 13th borehole (for those not in the know: it's the first waterhole up north from Urikaruus camp).
DSC_0812 (2)_00001_00001.jpg

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”