Heartstring Moments - Springtime in the Kalahari 2018

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Heartstring Moments - Springtime in the Kalahari 2018

Post by Mel »

A lizard buzzard - wow! I didn't even know I could get them in the KTP. Would make a nice tick on my list.

Mum had moved her kittens by the time we arrived in Kielie. According to Jacques they had still been there the day before.
I was a bit miffed about that, of course, since I've yet to see wild cat youngsters :-0

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Lisbeth wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:22 pm I lost another chapter while I was in Singwedzi 0*\

A short glimpse of a cape cobra is all that I have seen of snakes, not only in KTP, but in all the parks I have been too :-?

A remarkable, unique, marvellous Honey badger sighting :shock: O/\ O/\

Mel had a pic of a honey badger with offspring; I wonder if it was the same one -O-
..You should camp ..the snakes come to you ..We had a Cape Cobra in our tent at Mata Mata ..Just slithered through the door ..I got it out easily enough that time ..Went through the fence into Namibia lol lol

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

You even made it exile lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Sis - yep, the "blue-eyed" lion is often seen. I intended to go back and post my previous pics of him but "there's only so many hours in a day…" Glad you appreciated the Red-faced Mousebird - the first time I've ever seen one, and didn't even realize it at the time - just saw it in a pic of flying birds at a waterhole after downloading.

As far as Mel's honey badger with offspring - I'd have to go look, but I think it was on an earlier trip, so the cub would be older by now - but could be the same Mom… -O-

Harrys, Flutts, Alf, and Peter, I enjoy your company along the way. ^Q^

RP - I think the snake is most likely a Mole Snake, dark form. I know Cobras also have a black form, but in my experience (I've only seen ONE) they are far rarer than black Mole Snakes, which were abundant this trip. I previously posted a couple pics of a Tawny eating another black snake, so will go with Mole Snake.

Mel - yep, not being a "Birder", I'd never heard of a Lizard Buzzard, but Dindingwe 0/0 astutely ID'd it based on a black "V" spot on its neck.

As far as the AWC kittens, Jacques told us she was quite aggressive, so probably feeling stressed, understandably. Probably good she chose to move them. I've only seen AWC kittens once before in the rocky outcrop on one of the loops.

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Our return to TweeR, and our excursions up the Nossob side, yielded assorted sightings, as well as three new cheetahs we hadn't seen yet this trip. :-0

This Steenbok was lying on the side of the road and did not immediately jump up and run away as they often do. We were concerned it may have been injured in some manner, but thankfully, as we left, it stood up and walked off, not seeming to have any injuries. Possibly just enjoying its shady roadside spot as long as possible.

An adorable Slender Mongoose that looks to me as if "she" may have young ones somewhere. If so, how cute would they be!!!???

Another family, this time a Tawny Eagle group all in the nest interacting with one another.

Family group # ??? of the trip -

We had been on the lookout for Cape Foxes the entire trip, but didn't have any luck the first couple weeks. Our first sighting was of a single fox…

A hyena on a mission, as they always are -

Wildebeests pretending to fight like "Pro" wrestlers - not overly convincing...

Some strange-looking feathered friends (at least to us)

So far on this trip we had seen Corinne and cubs, The Muskateers, Hanri and cub, and a non-identifiable cheetah too far away.

Between Rooiputs and Leeudril we encountered the Kij Kij June Mates, on both the AM and PM drives.

Kij Kij cheetah 1

Kij Kij cheetah 2

As our PM drive was ending, we stopped to see what another car had spotted - another cheetah - YAY! O/\ The couple said it had been hunting, unsuccessfully, and was now trying to catch its breath under a bush.

We would loved to have stayed longer, hoping it would at least stand up and give me more chances for an ID, but there was a more pressing issue…

Their car would not start, try as they may. It was getting late, so we thought it best to return immediately to camp and notify someone of the problem, in order for them to be towed back to camp as soon as possible.

(If it were me stranded out there, I would want to have an "excuse" ;-) why I was out after gate time, and would just sit back and enjoy the serenity of nightfall in the Kalahari…. :yes: )

Alf

Post by Alf »

Wow your trip reports are great ^Q^

Loving the cheetah sighting ^Q^

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Those naked thighs of the ostriches.... 0*\

The mongoose lady is too sweet for words ^Q^ ^Q^

Lovely Cheetahs once more \O

Are you sure that the thick-knees are a family? O** 0'

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
harrys

Post by harrys »

Beautiful photos and some awesome sightings ^Q^ :yes:

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Very lucky with the cheetahs, Ex!

I forgot there were ostriches there! :o0ps:

The mongoose pic is superb! [O]

(It's a different ballgame in the bush alone at night... :twisted: )

0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Family group # ??? of the trip -

Lisbeth wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:38 pm
Are you sure that the thick-knees are a family? O** 0'
I don't know FOR SURE, -O- as I had already come across so many other potential families (Lions, Cheetahs…) by this point into the trip, that I had run out of DNA swabs, so was unable to scientifically verify it. :no:

Don't know why else they would all hang out together...

..0.. Maybe they're dastardly, (as opposed to the more frequently encountered Church-going, God-fearing), sex traffickers, and this was just their latest nubile kidnapee.

Who knows, -O- but you make a good point. O** :-0

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”