Michele Nel

Re: Tales of the Kgalagadi.

Post by Michele Nel »

Thank you Pumba.:)

Michele Nel

Post by Michele Nel »

Story #2.

We started the New Year in Nossob camp. Not only was it the 1 Jan 2019 but it also happened to be our wedding anniversary. We woke up to a lion roaring - the first bit roaring we had heard on our trip. We were not in a rush to get up as we had to wait for the garage to open at 7 am so we could refuel before moving off to Grootkolk. By the time we got to the hide the lion had moved away from the waterhole. So we missed that little show but the one that came next was way more entertaining than a lion drinking at the waterhole. A jackal had taken over centre stage and he was trying his best to catch his breakfast. There were hordes of doves flying around and clearly he couldn't resist them.

Round 1
Taking aim...
CB6C1025.jpg
Taking off..
CB6C1026.jpg
but missed.
CB6C1031.jpg
and it took him a while to get legs sorted out when he landed..:)
CB6C1034.jpg

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Gorgeous pics, Michele! :shock: :shock: :shock:

This would sound a bit funny if it were not on a wildlife forum: Not only was it the 1 Jan 2019 but it also happened to be our wedding anniversary. We woke up to a lion roaring - the first bit roaring we had heard on our trip.

=O:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Those two cubs are the smallest ever seen and soooo cute O/\ O/\ I can watch mongooses and squirrels for hours :yes:

Watching the jackals and dove show is hilarious. Your last pic of the jackal is great ^Q^ ^Q^

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Brilliant jackal action, Michele X#X

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Aha... with the lack of water at Cubitjie the dove hunting jackal had to move to Nossob.
Would be curious to hear what the waterhole situation was when you went up to Grootkolk.
Apparently almost everything is dry?

But great action shots! \O

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Michele Nel

Post by Michele Nel »

Mel wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:40 pm Aha... with the lack of water at Cubitjie the dove hunting jackal had to move to Nossob.
Would be curious to hear what the waterhole situation was when you went up to Grootkolk.
Apparently almost everything is dry?

But great action shots! \O
Yes it is fairly dry up north...and some waterholes were completely dry but I really don't see the point of making sure that there is water in every single waterhole when there is absolutely no grazing around those waterholes. Most Kgalagadi animals need food before they need water. The only the animal that needs water to survive is the wildebeest...they should move south where there is water. At the moment rain is needed in a big way....

Michele Nel

Post by Michele Nel »

Thank you everybody for reading and commenting. It seems I am able to get back onto the forum now...here is the rest of my post that I was trying to post the other evening. :)

Round 2.

The jackal was getting better at his modus operandi which was helping me to get the shots ....
He would run around the back of the waterhole ..crouch down in the dip ..and take aim...
CB6C1057.jpg
Take a flying leap over the waterhole and try his luck
CB6C1058.jpg
CB6C1059a.jpg
CB6C1060.jpg
He missed again.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Success! :-0

You must just reconnect your internet if you try and post more than 5 pics at once, Michele! \O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I don't think that the jackal had success O**

Michele could not get access to the forum. In any case, I gave her the same advise ;-)

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”