When the Lions are away, the Leopards come out to play (April 2019)

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: When the Lions are away, the Leopards come out to play (April 2019)

Post by Mel »

nan wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:02 pm 0/* Mel

still a lot pleasur to follow your journey into "our" beloved Kgalagadi O0

The chance you had to see so many Elands all together :-0 and your pictures are magnificent, I especially love this one with the dust and sun, so atmospheric ^Q^
and our friend the Crow, still telling all his life to everybody lol
and again a Genet :-0 (the only one I saw was in a tree, in a night drive
I love too the Ostrich chicks, they are so cute
glad the Lioness has no pain anymore :yes:

and the Cheetahs, never, never I will be boring by these raced (purebred) cats, you can post as many you want 0/0
ready for more 0()
:ty:
Hello nan,

long time no see. Nice to hear from you and thanks for participating here. 0/0

Unfortunately I can't provide you with more cheetah photos. That was the only sighting we had. Ever since I started looking into them more closely they seem to avoid me while other get to see tons of them /ou/

But still, we can't complain. We did have some good sightings.

And that lioness was actually a lion. Goes to show just how bad shape he was in :no:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Alf wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:09 am All i can say is wow how amazing ^Q^
:ty: X#X

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Pumbaa wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:33 pm Fantastic cheetah shots, Mel :-0 \O

also love the ostrich chicks, the meerkat and the hornbill X#X

Poor Boy :-( :-( :-(
:ty: Pumbaa! I'm always happy when my photos of my most favourite animal are liked :-0

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

ExFmem wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:48 pm You HAVE seen a nice variety of animals/birds despite the less than optimum conditions :yes: :yes:

Naturally, the cheetahs are SO special! I can't even begin to ID them now that there are so many new ones not yet in the Guide :no: , but so thankful you are "in the loop" on behalf of the rest of us. 0/0 O0

The ostrich chicks rival meerkats to me, in cuteness factor [O] [O]

Best sighting -O- -O- ... 0() 0()
The conditions were really dire. So, yes, cannot complain. As you will see in a moment O**

As for the cheetahs: I'll try to stay on top of them best I can and we'll just have to do our own stuff on here, I guess ;-)

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

13th to 19th April 2019 Urikaruus - Continued

By the third morning friends of ours had moved into the cabin next to us. They are pretty eager beavers and usually out by gate opening while the SO and I find that we had most of our bestest sighting if we left about half an hour after that (or in the magic year 2013 even much later than that O** ). So we were travelling down the road and it was dead quite. Nothing. Not even a spoor of a lion was to be found anywhere. We had passed Montrose waterhole when we saw our friends' taillights. But they shot off without seeing us. In the dust they left, we saw this:
DSC_1199_00035_00103.jpg
AT first the SO had thought it was a lioness lying there in the riverbed, but a quick check with the binocs confirmed my suspicion: another leopard! :shock: It became clear very quickly that this had to a be a male. And I was so hoping that I had finally the luck to see the legendary Urinanib.

But to this day, it remains a mystery to the SO & I how our leopard-adoring friends could have overlooked that animal -O-

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Once again we got majorly lucky and - as it turned out to be indeed - Urinanib got up and walked towards the road and therefore in our direction.
DSC_1254_00036_00104.jpg
DSC_1271_00037_00105.jpg
DSC_1273_00038_00106.jpg

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

He crossed the road in front of us and since we were the only car around (again!!!), we had all the time in the world to get positioned :-)
DSC_1286_00039_00107.jpg

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

After that we trailed him for almost half an hour before one other car arrived :shock: Urinanib was busy walking and marking and checking the shrubs for a quick wild cat meal lol Get ready for a leopard photo overkill :o0ps:

In my excitement, I did forget to adjust the settings though lol
DSC_1308_00040_00108.jpg
And the beast would only look into my camera when there was enough branches to prevent me from taking "that" shot 0'
DSC_1322_00041_00109.jpg
DSC_1332_00042_00110.jpg
But beautiful he is ^Q^
DSC_1372_00043_00111.jpg
DSC_1381_00044_00112.jpg

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

DSC_1423_00045_00113.jpg
DSC_1426_00046_00114.jpg
DSC_1458_00047_00115.jpg
DSC_1468_00048_00116.jpg
DSC_1470_00049_00117.jpg
DSC_1488_00050_00118.jpg

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Eventually, Urinanib didn't not show up from behind one of those bushes he had kept checking anymore. And only then more cars arrived. 0*\ Some of them tried to sit and see what happened, but the SO and I were so thrilled that we decided to get out of there since we had had the best sighting anyway. Or so we thought :twisted:

We went down to Auchter for a much needed toilet break and when we moved north again we saw one of the people who we had told about Urinanib at the picnic spot at Kamqua. So we turned in to asked if the leopard had come out again. He had not. But about 10 minutes before we arrived at the picnic site, Itumeleng had crossed the road with her small cub to relocate it once again. We had missed that… On another day I would have been horribly mad, especially that one of the reasons why we didn't always leave Uri early, early in the morning or went out for evening drives was because we had waited for her to show up at the camp waterhole. She did twice. But only at night. And always alone ^0^

But anyway… What a morning!!! O\/ O\/ O\/ O\/ O\/

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”