Addo and the Frontier Parks - Two-timing the KTP (March 2012) *

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Addo and the Frontier Parks - Two-timing the KTP

Post by Mel »

We headed towards Kranskop loop. Arriving on the plateau at the top I couldn’t believe my eyes! On my left there was a cheetah walking towards the ridge!!! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ I was so unprepared for this lucky sighting that I never managed a photo of it. 0- By the time I had gathered my wits again, the cheetah had disappeared… Still, SO and I were elated! O\/ O\/ O\/ First proper game drive and first proper sighting was a cheetah! Surely, that had to be a good omen for the two days to come? :-?
Last edited by Mel on Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Otherwise the first drive produced mainly far off sightings of the black wildebeest, blesbok, zebras, springboks and ostriches.

Just a very few didn’t not jump off when we stopped to take some photos. They were all miserable looking though. :-(

The rain continued but we decided to have a sundowner (could have started hours earlier with that – the sun had been ‘down’ for ages that day…) on the look-out point towards the guesthouse and the dam.

Back at the bungalow, SO lit a fire in the fireplace and instead of a braai we had veg parcels from the oven and potatoes. X#X

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Mountain Zebra
31/03/2012
The next morning started rather gloomy as well. We headed out to Kranskop again after having been told that our chances to see the cheetah again would be reasonably good as it obviously roamed that area at the moment.

The sighting day started off with a few distant elands:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

A very far off and hence blurred rock pipit (tick!) was singing on a… rock!
*edit* It's actually a tawny-flanked prinia (Thanks once again, Dewi! 0/0 ), but it's still a tick. O\/

Last edited by Mel on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Still on our way up to the plateau, I spotted a brown-hooded kingfisher (tick!). But the birdie had decided to camouflage itself with as much branches as it possibly can, so my photos are even worse than the one of the pipit…

Arriving on the plateau we didn’t get to see a cheetah but the closest gemsbok we would ever have in this park.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

A beautiful mountain zebra gave me the eye:

And while I was shooting away at the zebra, a spike-heeled lark (tick!) emerged next to me:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

The blesbok had an urgent need:

While this one was rather uncooperative regarding photos:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

The wildie had an itch:

Generally I found the critters in Mountain Zebra rather skittish. Most of them would move off as soon we approach with our car…

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Next tick with a sickle-winged chat:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Further down the road we saw our first mountain reedbuck ever:

Return to “Travel Tales of Addo Elephant National Park”