An Accidental Addo TT

PJL

An Accidental Addo TT

Post by PJL »

Hey everyone 0/* 0/*

We spent a few nights in Addo before Christmas and I had only planned on adding a few pics to the regular Addo Outings thread, but the park delivered once again so I figured I couldn't not do a short TT 0*\ ..0..

This trip was our family plus my parents who were over in SA visiting. They had a nice chalet with a view whilst we camped as usual. We didn't make an early start, so by the time we hit the park it was already in the high 30s, and as we travelled through the park our car registered as high as 47 degrees... pitching a tent was going to be a hot affair --00--

Our first sightings of game only came in the open areas around Peasland. This ostrich was literally panting due to the heat

Lion had supposedly been seen near the Gorah Camp entrance but we couldn't find any sign of them. At Hapoor it felt like the entire park population of elephants had arrived!! O\/ O\/

Amazingly despite the heat and mass of elephants there were a bunch of park workers out on foot at the back of the waterhole putting up an electric fence. I found out later from one of the rangers that it was to prevent the elephants from breaking the back of the dam and emptying the waterhole... they simply can't afford that to happen during this continued drought period.

We continued up to camp and I braved the heat to pitch our trailer tent whilst the others ducked off to the pool. They weren't the only ones seeking refreshment at the waterhole either O** :X:

TBC

harrys

Re: An Accidental Addo TT

Post by harrys »

0() 0() 0()

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Excellent, Peej! ^Q^

Didn't know it could get that hot at your place? :shock:

Does it cool down at night though? -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

That was hot!! <hot>

Looking forward to more! \O

PJL

Post by PJL »

Thanks for hopping onto this TT Harry, RP & Flutts \O
Richprins wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:11 am Didn't know it could get that hot at your place? :shock:

Does it cool down at night though? -O-
Out near Addo has recorded some of the hottest temps in SA over the years... in fact the hottest recorded temperature in SA was near Kirkwood which is down the road from Addo :yes:

Strangely the temperature started dropping around midday onwards, but we were hit with some gusty wind in the afternoon which wasn't so pleasant. Grandpa was keen to swing past Rooidam to see if there were any hyena around and along the road we found a couple of angulate tortoises having a scrap 0: 0:

phpBB [video]

Rooidam was quiet apart from a couple of kudu milling around in the distance so we continued on along the dirt road towards Hapoor. About half way along we found a car reversing from a small bunch of elephant who were coming out onto the road. Much to the car's occupants we went past and turned the engine off to enjoy the walk-past. The kids had a good chuckle when they saw the car continuing to reverse despite seeing how chilled the ellies were with us. O:V

phpBB [video]

What we thought initially to be a small herd turned out to be loads of elephant and more and more kept coming out the bush and right past us which was great O\/

Back at Hapoor the poor zebra were still waiting patiently for a turn to drink whilst the elephant continued to occupy the waterhole 0:

It was a continuing story of elephant as we trundled south past spekboom, although we did get lucky with a nice sighting of a black-shouldered kite quite close to the road O/\

TBC

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

O\/ O\/

I cannot see the second pic 0*\

Great video of the tortoises fighting over the right of way ;-) The noise is the wind, not the tortoises I presume O**

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Aha! Berg winds - we had them in Bergville too, ironically! :-0

Very pretty tortoises! \O [O]

And nice orderly elephant - ours just scatter and charge when they get near the water! :twisted:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Fantastic shots, PJL,

as always but that ellie shots are indeed outstanding ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Yip Sundays River Valley is one of the hottest places in SA ..thats why its a great Citrus area..My Kirkwood Citrus Clients have it really hot at times

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Love the ellies walking past in single file!! ^Q^ ^Q^

Return to “Travel Tales of Addo Elephant National Park”