Camp and Gate Generators vs Loadshedding

Discussions on Kruger of a General Nature
RobertT

Re: Load shedding in Kruger

Post by RobertT »

Dzombo wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:41 pm
RobertT wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:50 pm
Not sure Sanparks will run generators too much longer at other camps if they can get away with blaming loadshedding, am sure they will do the math and decide whether the savings outweighs the moans they will get.
Would they not still be able to / want to run the admin side of things?
Not sure what they doing on admin side, will take a walk past later when we have loadshedding again and see what they are doing. They may have the genie running and just certain portions live. Doesn’t really bother me too much, only fan doesn’t work but rest we sorted for.

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

RobertT wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:49 pm

Not sure what they doing on admin side, will take a walk past later when we have loadshedding again and see what they are doing. They may have the genie running and just certain portions live. Doesn’t really bother me too much, only fan doesn’t work but rest we sorted for.
Thanks
I am coming next week with a friend of mine.
Can see him not handling this too well. 0*\

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Robert...we checked and the generator is just broken...so much for your conspiracy theories? =O: O**

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
RobertT

Post by RobertT »

Tomorrow I am here a week, a genie can be fixed in that time if it is urgent. I have paid for a site with electricity for time I am here, not 75% of the time only. The poor guys who pay big bucks for chalets and aircons don’t work etc, they are also worse off than campers as campers at least bring torches and other light sources.

Drove past reception there is a little lamp going there and shop too.

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

RobertT wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:23 pm Tomorrow I am here a week, a genie can be fixed in that time if it is urgent. I have paid for a site with electricity for time I am here, not 75% of the time only. The poor guys who pay big bucks for chalets and aircons don’t work etc, they are also worse off than campers as campers at least bring torches and other light sources.

And Self Sufficient campers like us with Rooiputs experience bring our solar panels and Our Freezers work regardless of Load shedding and our lights are Citronella Parafin and USB Charged Head torches ..a Breeze when camping in Kruger and when the electricity IS ON then we plug in

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

RobertT wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:23 pm Tomorrow I am here a week, a genie can be fixed in that time if it is urgent. I have paid for a site with electricity for time I am here, not 75% of the time only. The poor guys who pay big bucks for chalets and aircons don’t work etc, they are also worse off than campers as campers at least bring torches and other light sources.

Be that as it may, you made a booboo with your accusations there, Robbie! :twisted: :twisted:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Camp and Gate Generators vs Loadshedding

Post by Richprins »

This is going to become a regular issue for a year at least, and deserves very serious discussion.

I was at Pretoriuskop yesterday and today.

There was loadshedding during the night, and this morning, and the generator did NOT come on. The shop and restaurant were unusable, and reception basically closed, with no internet nor phonelines.

Numbi gate was also "dark", but with UPS batteries running the card machines so that payments were possible. ;-) They said their generator was broken.

There is a generator or bank of generators at all the major camps, capable of running even the aircons and geysers in huts, but at a tremendous cost in diesel.

I have experienced personally the giant generators at Skukuza coming on, for example.

Upon enquiry at PK staff said that "someone was trying to start the generator", and I believe it did come on yesterday morning for a period, but we weren't there yet.

The point is Kruger need to be very clear about all this, and if it is too expensive to run the whole camp they must at least run the shops, reception and restaurants, although this is where the fun starts as shops and restaurants are private franchises, not SP-run. 0()

meanwhile private establishments around Kruger are not stupid and well-oiled already with regards to providing backup power for guests at various levels, so Kruger may lose out. 0()

RogerFraser
Site Admin

Re: Camp and Gate Generators vs Loadshedding

Post by RogerFraser »

:-? sure there was a tender that went out to service all the generators fairly recently if I remember correctly O**

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ag no! 0*\

But still, the situation is unique regarding the diesel costs vs tourist income... O-/

:ty: Rog!

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

What a beautiful, terrible, crazy country South Africa is 0*\

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “Kruger Information & General Discussion Forum”