Full Moon

Discussions on Kruger of a General Nature
Bushcraft

Full Moon

Post by Bushcraft »

Is it true that cats, particularly lions, prefer not to hunt in full moon conditions, due to the fact that they can be more easily seen?

Is it true that they are more vocal in these full moon conditions, because they usually patrol their territories?

RobertT

Re: Full Moon

Post by RobertT »

Not sure if that is the case with hunting. If you hungry you hungry and have to eat. Hunting is probably more difficult for them, but can't see them going without because of a full moon.

serval

Post by serval »

A friend of mine who was a trails ranger documented his observations over about 4 years at Sweni trails camp - I will request his input , I seem to have lost our correspondence.

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

serval wrote:A friend of mine who was a trails ranger documented his observations over about 4 years at Sweni trails camp - I will request his input , I seem to have lost our correspondence.
I have the correspondence serval, or at least your original take on the correspondence and what I stated in the original post were his findings, hence I’m asking if this is the reflection or observation that most have seen.

Dewi

Post by Dewi »

A study in Tanzania found that Lions were more successful after a full moon when hunting, especially the man-eaters.

They took advantage of the waning moon to make use of the low light conditions.

Not too sure about them being more vocal when the moon is full though as I could find no references, but it would make sense that if they were not as successful at hunting during this period, they could concentrate more on territorial duties?

Interesting questions though.

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

I don't think there is any particular link...one documentary said lions just gave up when it was full moon, as they were too visible. Was in LS during the hyper massive full moon two weekends ago, and there was a kill that night by the sounds I heard...lion, hyena, jackal etc...

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

I also have correspondence that lions are more successful in overcast low light windy conditions. The ranger that serval refers to found similar stats I think?

serval

Post by serval »

Bushcraft wrote:
serval wrote:A friend of mine who was a trails ranger documented his observations over about 4 years at Sweni trails camp - I will request his input , I seem to have lost our correspondence.
I have the correspondence serval, or at least your original take on the correspondence and what I stated in the original post were his findings, hence I’m asking if this is the reflection or observation that most have seen.
To recap , hese were his observations:

"Full/ brighter moon – vocalise more, patrol territory, etc.
Darker times – hunt more & more successfully. Quieter generally these times.
Windy conditions – roar less."

serval

Post by serval »

I have also read in the book "Nightstalk" where observations were made on collared lions in the Sweni area (before the trails commenced) that lions tended to hunt less in windy conditions as prey species were super alert at these times - the sound of wind frightening them as well as the possibility that predator scent was blown from afar or from differing directions.

JoeKing

Post by JoeKing »

not my personal view, but on many doccies it has been said that lions tend to not hunt as much when its full moon, but the again as RT said, if you need to eat you need to eat.

How often dont you find the cats hunting in the day..........

http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/jeroenkel/library/
http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/jeroenkel/library/South%20AFrica%202015-02

some of my Kruger and Pilanesberg Pics

Return to “Kruger Information & General Discussion Forum”