PILANESBERG PREDATOR PARADE

steamtrainfan

PILANESBERG PREDATOR PARADE

Post by steamtrainfan »

Hi all. 0/*

Joan and I are back safe and sound after a truly amazing week in Pilanesberg - the best we have had in 11 years of going there. I know that I say this every year but this year was really exceptional.

In 2006 Pilanesberg had 1 cheetah now in 2017 they have 9. This lone cheetah was a female called Rain. So they brought in two males, not sure when, and she has produced two sets of 3 cubs. These two sets are now on their own and they think that Rain might be pregnant again.

What made it even better was that Melanie, Norman and our grand daughter Kendall were with us and we were privileged to be driven around in Normans Fortuner.

Not wanting to spoil the tale by saying too much now, I now need to go and sort through nearly two thousand photos - we had two cameras. I used the Nikon 90D and Melanie and Joan used the Canon SX50.

Chat again soon.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
nan

Re: PILANESBERG PREDATOR PARADE

Post by nan »

0/* steamtrainfan

9 Cheetahs instead of one ;-) O/\ O/\ O/\

I'm ready 0()

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Well done, stf! 0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

I've already had a sneak preview on FB but can't wait to see more! 0()

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Thanks very much for the welcome nan, R.P. and Flutterby.

A lot more photos than on F.B. will be posted here Flutterby.

Please bear with me as this might be a pretty long tale.

A foretaste. On one day we saw lion, leopard and cheetah in the morning and cheetah and lion in the afternoon hence the title of this tale. O/\ O/\

Another certain leopard with a cub we saw nearly every day. O\/ O\/

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

DAY 1 - FRIDAY OCTOBER 6.

We left home under cloudy skies at about 09:15. We met Melanie, Norman and Kendall at Bakubang gate at 11:30.

Went to Kubu picnic spot for lunch and then travelled up to Manyane to check in at 14:00.

Number 52 Manyane our Pilanesberg home for the past 11 years.

After unpacking we set off for a short late afternoon drive.

Saw plenty of the usual zebra, wildebeest, impala etc. we saw this Osprey on Thlware Loop between the beach parking and dassie rock.

A Yellow-billed Stork at Hippo Loop.

Finally, on way back to camp in the late afternoon we came across this lioness in a small pan near Tau Link. She was getting very frustrated as she could not cross the road due to all the cars blocking her way. We were blocked and could not move. Felt so sorry for her. She eventually found her way through. The weather was still cloudy and cold thus the dark photos.

Day 2 to follow.
Last edited by steamtrainfan on Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

STF 0/*

Your picture does not show and if the size in the url is right, it is too big for the forum.

You can use our own private upload attachment system: https://www.africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7052 It also resizes the pics :yes:

0()

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Thank you very much Lisbeth. I had forgotten how to transfer from Flickr to SAGR.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Should I make the photos smaller?

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

It depends on how big they are. Our maximum is 800 pixel on the longest side.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “Travel Tales of Pilanesberg Game Reserve”