Imfolozi - Browns January 2014 *

Bushcraft

Re: Imfolozi - Browns January 2014

Post by Bushcraft »

Thanks Lisbeth O0

Mpila is an awesome camp \O

The rest of the drive towards Bhejane produced a tawny, a bee eater for the Cow and a few more Imfolozi locals

When we arrived at the low water bridge just before the hide we noticed that the dogs were getting active, so I switched off.

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

A few minutes later some of the adults walked off, but in a different direction to us, so I initially started moaning that they were pushing off and that we should do the same.

Suddenly the Cow shrieked “Over there!! It’s pups”

Some juniors popped up in a different area of the riverbed.

Soon the adults changed direction again and started off at pace towards the road above the low water bridge, so I started to flap “Do I go!” “Why, the puppies are here!!” “They will follow the adults!!”

After a few stop/starts and a small scrap we were on our way up the road

I immediately noticed that the adults liked to keep the juniors under control and out of the spotlight, so we ended up travelling slowly behind the procession of adults and every few minutes one would get a quick view of the smaller chaps in the grass.

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

We followed them alone for around 10 minutes before the next car arrived and this faulty aunty decided to park sideways in the road, which blocked and confused the dogs.

Soon more cars arrived and the dogs ducked off into the grass, so we decided to head back towards camp via 20/21 before either the Cow or I made a scene.

Around 12 km later we spotted 2 OSV’s stopped on the side of the road, but much to the Cow’s horror I slowly drove past them and stopped around 20m further up the road.

We soon spotted what they were looking at

We initially thought that the lions were going to start their evening patrol, but they quickly went back to sleep, so we ducked back to camp.

To be continued

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

There’s something special about Mpila camp at night as there’s no fences, which is one of the main attractions for me, so I couldn’t wait for the sun to set and to get the braai going.

The Cow and rats stayed a safe distance and I was left to braai the steak with only my gyne lamp on my head to keep me company.

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

I soon got bored of standing next to the fire waiting for the steak to cook, so parked off on a chair a few meters away.

A few minutes later something caught my eye a few meters to the left and the brain took a few moments to register “Get the camera Cow”

Unfortunately the Cow and rats took longer to register and the hyena was a little too close for comfort, so I had to make a hasty move to the veranda, which caused the hyena to back off.

I charged into the tent to get the camera but realized “@#%, the meat is still on the braai”, however as I charged back outside I heard the Cow explode “$%#$%, footsack, @#%”

The hyena was about to grab a steak off the braai, but got the fright of its life when it spotted the Cow in attack mode, so took off into the bush.

The Cow had to watch the braai a few years ago while I poured a dop and she lost a chicken to a hyena, so probably wasn’t in the mood to have it happen again.

After supper I grabbed another beer and went to sit alone next to the fire while the Cow got the rats ready for bed.

A few minutes later scallywag made an appearance again

The clan came out to watch him, but he soon moved off towards another site.

The Cow then went to shower and the rats got in bed, but I was under strict instructions from the rats to call them if I spotted anything.

My peace next to the fire didn’t last long as I spotted some weird shapes moving towards me through the bush, so broke the land speed record to the veranda as the brain realised that it wasn’t hyena.

Humphrey and his gang pulled in.

The rats had obviously been spying through the tent flap because in seconds they were on the veranda shrieking “Humphrey and his brothers!! Dad he has a girlfriend!! Dad, he has babies!!”

Suddenly the Cow came charging out in just a towel “Where!!”

Humphrey’s squeeze and juniors didn’t hang around with this commotion going on and I only had time for 1 pic.

We have never seen wild piglets this size before.

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Lisbeth wrote:Great wild dog sighting, lots of them ^Q^ ^Q^

Weren’t you supposed not to smoke ? :twisted:

So Humphrey wasn’t a “he” after all or was he there too? :-? Sweet piglets O/\ O/\
We counted 16 dogs Lisbeth, so a fairly large pack

Yip, I'm not meant to smoke, but it's not easy to stop 0*\

Humphrey was there with 4 girlfriends and one of his girlfriends had the juniors \O

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Mel wrote:Eish, no good about your health. :-( Hope the trip to the liquor store helped. :twisted:

If this was just a one day trip, you were incredibly lucky with your sightings!
Not only the doggies, the numerous lions and all the lovely birdie, but also the spottie and Humphrey with KIDS!!! visiting you at night. O/\
Although - I'll repeat myself from elsewhere - that hyena is too close for comfort.
Really scared of the force of their jaws. :o0ps:
Yip, I'm getting old Mel O-/

We were only in the park for 24 hours Mel as I had to get home early on Sunday O/

Those hyenas at Mpila are ok with people and to my knowledge there’s never been an incident at that camp. (A kid got chomped on a school camp out though on the Sontuli loop) I’m comfortable to stay and braai with them around and they only approach the braai once one leaves. What I have noticed though is that they will approach if you sit down, but back off as soon as you stand again, which makes me nervous about small kids.

Humphrey is another story though and he’s chased me twice over the years. Last year he chomped someone who got too close. The guy needed stitches and fortunately the camp manager didn’t blame Humphrey.

I personally never want to see fences there.

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

After a few minutes all Humphrey’s girlfriends ducked off after the mother and piglets, but Humphrey was still standing watching the commotion on the veranda.

The rats were beside themselves with excitement and wouldn’t shut up. “Hello Humphrey, you have babies, Dad he’s listening to us”. I was about the blow a gasket when Humphrey suddenly approached the veranda and stood below the rats, which only got them more excited, but I was now also fascinated at what this pig was up to.

He checked them out for around 1 minute, snorted and then decided to do his ablutions below them, which shut all 3 rats up instantly.

The horror and shocked lasted around 10 seconds until Bushpig shouted “He’s pooing!!”, which set them all off again.

Suddenly there was movement behind Humphrey and another scallywag made an appearance, which caused Humphrey to duck off

The rats eventually calmed down and went to sleep, which allowed me to do my normal stakeout in the dark peacefully, but as per normal I nearly fell asleep.

The last thing I remember is the Cow asking “It’s nearly 12pm, what time do I set the alarm for?” and I replied “Don’t set it”

I woke feeling guilty as it was already nearly 6am and I had pulled a “RP” sleeping late in a game reserve.

We eventually finished packing up just before 7am and decided to shoot up to Bhejane hide quickly before heading home.

First up was a herd of buffalo

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Next up were a few birds for the Cow, a lone zebra cruising along the road and a mother wartie with her juniors.

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

As we arrived at Bhejane hide parking something caught my eye in the grass next to the car, so I slowed and then slammed on brakes “Black mamba!!” He crossed the road about 1m from us and then took off through the car park, which caused major panic with the cameras and the Cow only managed to shoot off a distant shot without zooming in.

He was at least 2m long.

The mamba cruised into the hide entrance and as there were other people in the car park who were about to enter the hide I went to warn them, but they didn’t seem to understand much English, so I showed them the pic and they said “Oooo big snake” and walked into the hide.

We decided to rather head for the gate.

The drive out the park produced plenty rhino (as did the previous day, but the locations were to obvious, so I omitted them), a stroppy ellie who charged us, a monitor lizard which unfortunately got the fright and ducked as we stopped and a Burchell’s for the Cow.

Return to “Travel Tales of Hluhluwe/Imfolozi Game Reserve”