EASTER in KZN *

Amoli

EASTER in KZN *

Post by Amoli »

I decided to venture to the Northern parts of KZN for Easter. O/\ O/\

This would be a long trip on a road I was not very familiar with – but we going to see the sea you see. O:V

Early morning we re-checked all the luggage was in, and headed east.
We had a good trip until we reached Secunda area where we got heavy mist. 0*\
It slowed us down to a city traffic speed .
That morning we experienced two narrow escapes from real nutty road users. :O^

The mist lifted just before Ermelo and from then the going was good. ^Q^

We no sooner arrived in Empangeni and the kids wanted to go to the beach.
I put the camera over my shoulder while others carried towels.
The weather was great and I was snapping away at the family having fun. [O]

The family thinker…

And Princess was looking for crabs..

I took my very first pic of a gull.. what an incredible beautiful bird.

I could show the kiddies how the ‘harbour master’ gets picked up by the heli from a ship leaving port.

This is the Alkmaar Lighthouse on the beach

This plaque caught my eye in the harbor – he must’ve loved the sea.

Having three of my four grandchildren with me was bliss.
That night called for seafood celebration.
We don’t get to see each other often, so we celebrate Christmas, New Year, Easter, birthdays and good school marks all at one go.

Our plan for the next day was St Lucia and Umfolozi.... \O
Last edited by Amoli on Thu May 30, 2013 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Amoli

Re: EASTER in KZN *

Post by Amoli »

Our second day we were on our way to Imfolozi Game Reserve. O/\ O/\

Theo picked up a speeding ticket on the way and the kids made us stop for a Wimpy Breakfast in St Lucia.

We arrived at the park late……. 0*\

At the Centenary Centre - This monument of a Rhino was impressive. ;-)

As one of South Africa's most celebrated game parks, the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park (previously Hluhluwe Umfolozi) is renowned for its variety of animal and bird life, its wide-ranging photography, and an extremely rich diversity of tree and plant communities.

Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park is the oldest game park in Africa and is the only one in KwaZulu Natal where the Big 5 occur. It covers some 96 000 ha and is world renowned for its rhino conservation.
• The Centenary Centre, a wildlife-holding centre with an attached museum and information centre, is in the eastern section of iMfolozi. It incorporates rhino enclosures and antelope pens, and was established to allow visitors to view animals in transit to their new homes.

Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park is famous for “Operation Rhino” that saved the white rhino from extinction.
• Since the start of “Operation Rhino” in the 1960s, over 10 000 rhino have been translocated world-wide.
• Our dedicated game capture team now moves 5 000 – 6 000 animals per year, including antelope, black and white rhino, zebra, hippo and giraffe.
• This has resulted in major contributions to South Africa’s wildlife industry.
• The history of game capture and present day techniques are illustrated through videos and static displays in the exhibition halls.
• The Centenary Centre is situated in the iMfolozi section, is open to the public to view rhino and antelope, (when animals are available) in their bomas and are ready for viewing.

The little bee-eater is a tick on my list O\/

Southern Black Flycatcher

At one stage I burst out laughing, suddenly realizing what a pelican-face was. =O:
Grumpy was a good one.
I saw this Blue-cheeked Bee-eater, and as I was focusing the camera, my son drove on. 0=
He did not understand the time it took to focus and why he had to cut the engine.
I kept the pic as it was a tick for me.

Theo anticipated me, so I could take these shots, but I kept my pics to a minimum. :o0ps:

I realized I would have to let him take some pics so he knows what length of time one needs.

Imfolozi presented us with a Warthog having a mud bath, some giraffes, and a few birdies.

We saw many of these grasshoppers, and had to swerve in the road to miss them.

It was amazing how many Spider Webs there were – and noticeable that where they were, the bird life was quiet.

One day, I will return…

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Amoli

Re: EASTER in KZN

Post by Amoli »

Day three was Cape Vidal day.

We left home early as only a limited total of cars were allowed in the Cape Vidal park on any one day. The weather was still cloudy and rainy, and we turned around to take a pic of the rainbow.

Excitement grew in me. This is a tick off my bucket list and my expectations were enormous.

We agreed that I would be given time to enjoy the bush up to a certain time, then we had to head for the beach for the kiddies to swim. We would do a slow drive out of the park again.

The landscapes were amazing and the roads in good condition.

The first animals we saw were Zebra’s and Buffalo.

We saw an amazing amount of spider web’s and it was interesting for me to note that, where these webs were spun from treetop to treetop, even expanding over the road, the bird life was minimal.
Through my research I learnt that the spider spins a long cord, and then waits for the wind to carry it to another tree – and that is how they got the one end fixed to another tree. Awesome thinking on their part.

This was the only ‘kill’ we saw…

We also saw a Red duiker – at first I was watching it with appreciation just standing in the road – and when I got the camera ready, it ran off. I laughed as my grandson said – Oums, that was a picture for the heart.

There were a good many Bushbuck – healthy animals, yet not visitor friendly.

We saw Waterbuck with Heron and a lone Buff bull.

.. some kudu

I had Theo take a pic of this Eagle (is it a Long-crested?) and suddenly the light came on for him. He realized it was not a mik and druk that works within seconds, he had to take his time. With annoyance he cut the engine, realizing it was the car causing the shake in the picture, and not an age thing.

While coming into Cape Vidal campsite, I heard a sound that shook me and took me back many years. My eyes filled with tears – I know that sound, and I knew it very well as a child. I couldn’t find the Samango, but I knew it was him.
Then I saw the most beautiful bird in flight, Black with Red wings. I couldn’t find where it had landed. It was a Purple crested Turaco and it would have been a tick for me.

The kids loved the sea and it was a pity we did not bring the snorkel gear.

‘By accident’ I took another pic of a gull (Grey headed gull ?– would be another tick for me) Recently BH brought it to my attention that they could be found in the Johannesburg area also. I went looking for them and I found them – in Boksburg.

On our way out we saw these kudu’s with their enormous horns,

... a warthog that didn’t hear us until he saw us…

..and a Wooly necked Stork.

We came across a village (RP – what is the collective word?) of dungbeetles – all at work to start their new balls.

Back on the tar road we found this lonesome beetle doing his own thing..

We each had our own thoughts on the way home.
This day was different to our expectations.
The kids wanted to feel the force of the waves breaking around them, and I …… I wanted to stay in the bush.

We spent the evening playing board games and enjoying each others’ company.
Last edited by Amoli on Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

The next morning we woke up with rain coming down in torrents.
We decided to do some chores around the house and see what the weather brings later.

Just before lunch, the rain stopped and we decided to take a drive to Durnford Lighthouse. ^Q^ ^Q^

As we left the highway, we entered into a settlement.
At first I was quite nervous, but there was much more to be nervous about. O-/
The nearer to the coast we came, the more potholes there were. 0=
We then turned off into a sand road, which became a sea-sand road.
I just kept the wheels rolling and hoping we don’t get stuck!
The kids loved these rock and rolling motions – go, ouma, go! O/\ O/\ O/

The lighthouse was worth the trouble – and it is amazing how far out a person can see.
We did not make a prior booking and therefore, we could not see it from inside.
The property is fenced in and the huge gates are locked.

DURNFORD – Richard’s Bay
The Dunford lighthouse was named after controversial military man, Colonel AW Durnford, the colonial engineer for Natal around 1870.
A young Zulu man was the Custodian of the lighthouse. He was responsible for maintenance of the ground and had to report any issues to a local shopkeeper who would let the authorities know.
Date Commissioned: 01 March 1916
Height of tower: 12 metres
Height of focal point: 56 metres above sea level
Light range: 19 sea miles
Character of light: Group flashing 4 every 40 seconds
Designer: Structural Design office of Transnet
Open to public: Yes, by arrangement

On our way back we found a little guy filling the potholes with sand…. We gave him a few rand for his effort. ;-)

We took the back way to Richardsbay and followed the instructions on the Garmin to Richardsbay Game Reserve.
This was slow travelling as there were speed bumps every 500m.

Richards Bay Game Reserve, KwaZulu Natal
The Reserve has remnant stands of swamp forest, the Thulazihleka Bird viewing hide in small swamp and the Tidal Mudflats and shallows south of the Mhlatuzi river.

300 species of birds have been recorded in these habitats including several rare migrant species new to the list of KwaZulu Natal birds.

Some of South Africa's most spectacular wetland scenery can be seen at the Richards Bay Game Reserve, a lagoon where aquatic birds and animal species, including hippopotamus and crocodile, are protected.

Numbers of wildlife and birdlife in the Richards Bay Game reserve are ever-increasing and the rare pink-backed pelican has been sighted in the area. Flamingos, cormorants and some waders are prevelant in the reserve. This area is also an important nursery ground for marine fish such as grunter, salmon, perch and yellowfin. The Richards Bay Lagoon is a natural, living example of how both commerce and nature are able to exist side by side in harmony

We came to a sand road, with terrible dongas and I just knew this could not be the main road to the park.
I called the Parks Board and they told me the Park is no longer open to the public. 0= :O^ :-?

We then proceeded to Entabeni Game Park.
This is a trail park and with the rain eminent, we decided against this also. According to their brochure, they have a great many birds.

At this stage I told the cubs we were just going to do a drive around, and they must look for ‘things’ that are not found where we all come from.

Jaco saw this Gecko..

And Eliz-Mari saw this one – it blended in with it’s background.

I drew their attention to ‘gum’ on a tree, and shared that for many kids this was the only ‘chewing-gum’ we ever knew – and in the veld it was a life-saver.

General information:
A. senegal has clear to pink or yellow edible gum produced when the tree bark is wounded. It is picked and eaten casually by people living in the dry north of Kenya, and extensively cultivated in Sudan for its gum.

A little further we saw a Fern growing on a tree branch.

staghorn fern

Any of several tropical epiphytic ferns of the genus Platycerium, having large, dichotoemously divided fertile fronds that resemble antlers.

I saw an advert on Google of a person selling such a fern that has grown over a tree stump and was charging R5000.00. 0-
So maybe our sighting could be worth about R100? -O

We saw a Trumperter Hornbill (tick) and a green pigeon.
Not a good pic of the pigeon, but I spent some time showing the kids the legs and the bill, and lost a good shot.

And at our entrance to the property Jacques made me stop for this pic ….

At home we saw some mousebirds, crested barbets, Burchells coucal, dark capped bulbul and weavers.

We ended with this grasshopper and the Avocado tree in the backyard.

The day ended with a good feeling of sharing quality time, yet the bush space inside of me was shouting out … more, more, more. 0'

What will tomorrow – my last day - bring. ;-)

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

The cubs wanted to spend their last day on the beach – the whole day. O/\
I asked if I could have this day to myself – and they agreed – as long as I keep my cell phone nearer to me than my camera. O\/

I kept to all the speed limits and road rules, no speeding tickets for me.
I pulled off to take a picture of some of the forestry.
Re-living my early married years on a sawmills, I could still smell the fresh cut wood.
I do find myself looking deep into the bush, maybe to see the seven dwarfs, or even little red riding hood.

I dropped by the Bird Park where some cuckoos and ducks were in cages – and saw this beautiful flower.

And a tree bearing this fruit – could it be family to the wild fig? :-?

On the way to St Lucia I had a look around at the Butterfly Dome. For a R100 donation you can have your name put on one of these crosses. At this stage I wonder if they have enough crosses to put up. 0*\

At last I was where I wanted to be – Cape Vidal. Only limited total of vehicles allowed. O:V

My drive was slow – my time spent just sitting and looking was plenty. Here are a few of my moments of joy ..

Part of the Lake

A brown-hooded kingfisher O/\

A heron

And a ……. Bee-eater. I marked it as an Olive Bee-eater, but need confirmation O\/

There were zebbies, and Buffs. I came across these Kudu’s with their young. 0/0

I re-traced my tracks to where we saw the Dung-factory, and believe it, there was not a trace of dung to be found. The beetles had cleaned up the road to perfection. :shock: :shock:

What a beautiful Red-backed shrike. It spent a lot of time with me which resulted in about 50 pics..

Driving into Cape Vidal fills me with a calmness – it’s beautiful. O**

And then that sound again.
I stopped and trusted that the other road users would understand.
I looked for my samago baboon… and found it. I managed one picture before it went into hiding again.

I spent about an hour looking for the turaco… but nothing. Next time.

I stayed on the tar round on my return trip – suddenly remembering the cell phone and that I had to stay in signal zone.

This tree with its fruit… is it what is known as ‘stamvrug’? I think it’s the one the baboons love.

This European swallow sat waiting for me – a tick on my list

Another Wartie that allowed me to drive close-up. I sat watching his lazy grazing for some time – he was in no hurry no-where. O:V

My attention was drawn by this bush and my imagination took flight. This is nature’s fire sparkles ablaze with a message of enjoyment. It was saying… hope you had a good time. \O

I was so pleased with my day and everything worked out well. My camera battery was now flat, and I could go home, pleased.

Then….

Then…

Awghhh – well I had to use my cellphone to bring a pic home of these beauties.

It was four o’clock and I had some kilo’s to cover. 0'

I would like to come back to this part of KZN. I did not get to see the estuary, Mkuze or even Imfolozi to it’s fullest. ;-)

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Pumbaa wrote:WoW Amoli Cape Vidal Looks so peacefull O/\ O/\ O/\
There is the beach side which is busy,
also private owned fishing boats coming and going, and being washed,

but I would love to walk this path where it is really quiet, except for the odd car coming or leaving. \O With 120 vehicle spread out over such a large piece of land, it gives each one his space. O:V

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Great pics Amoli. \O

Love the Shrike. ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Brown cap and back looks good for Olive/Madagascar Bee-eater. Would be a rarity in the area you saw it. Might be worth getting it confirmed by someone like Trevor Hardaker or SABAP?

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Amoli wrote:And a ……. Bee-eater. I marked it as an Olive Bee-eater, but need confirmation O\/

I have had a reply from Trevor Hardarker O/\ O/\ O/\ :

Hi Iloma
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this - I have been out of the country for a while.
This is a Blue-cheeked Bee-eater - there is quite a bit of blue visible around the face and there is also some on the rump which would eliminate the possibility of Olive Bee-eater.
Kind regards
Trevor

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014

Return to “Travel Tales of Other KZN Parks”