One Swallow does not a Summer make *

Duke

One Swallow does not a Summer make *

Post by Duke »

"One swallow does not a summer make, nor one fine day"
Aristotle

When we were driving back from our Kruger to Canyon Birding trip I was disappointed in not finding the Blue Swallow and saddened :-( that they had not been to the Grasskop and Kaapsehoop area for the last two years. I was also sad to find that only 38 pairs came to South Africa in 2012. I siad something like I am going to find this bird.

Based on this Sharifa booked a night at Highover Game Reserve and said, "I will give you another opportunity to find the Blue Swallow"

Highover is in the Natal Midlands and a 6 hour drive from Centurion. It has won some accolades as you will see from their website. It is also Member of Endangered Wildlife Trust’s Oribi breeding program and official custodian of the Oribi and Member of Endangered Wildlife Trust’s Blue Swallow protection program and official custodian of the Blue Swallow.

We arrived at Highover at 11.30am and got a warm welcome from the couple that manage the Park.

Very friendly and informative and in the trees next to their house we found Paradise Flycathers, Village Wevers and Soutern Masked Weavers.

We got to our chalet which had two bedrooms separated by the the kitchen

The bedrooms have a double bed and a bunk bed.

The shower is outdoor :-)

The braai area and you can see the river in the background. You are supplied with fire wood for one night, cutlery, crockery. The kitchen has a gas stove and a fridge. No towels provided. For all this you pay R320 per person per night.

We had the bird guide booked for 2.00 PM . The swallows are another 4km drive from the chalets. You do not need a 4WD vehicle but it could get tricky if it rains. High clearance vehicle is a must

We pick up the guide and make our way to the Blue Swallow area. Sharifa had got all the details up front. Last year they had two breeding pairs. This year there were three pairs. The cost of the guide is what you decide to pay him, minimum R50.

Well let me tell you it is no easy task finding these birds.........

Bushcraft

Re: One Swallow does not a Summer make

Post by Bushcraft »

O/\ O/\ Thanks for this Duke \O

BTW, I have seen the Blue Swallow :shock: ;-)

Somewhere around here I have a TT about the Hella Hella valley, my uncle’s farm and he has blue swallows nesting there.

I think if you google “roselands” the details are there. \O

Toko

Post by Toko »

Duke wrote:
Cannot find your TT Bushcraft :-? Would love to read it.
here :-)

Duke

Post by Duke »

We meet Sizwe, our guide, at 2.00PM. It works like this. The swallow area is fenced off and gated. So you cannot wander off on your own. The guide has the key and the gate is kept locked at all times. The roads in this area will be a challenge when it rains if you do not have a 4WD.

So we are taken to a spot and asked to park off and then Sizwe says, here we are. There are 3 pairs and they can be anywhere here =O: =O: =O: You have as much chance finding them as I have - let's look for them :-)

We are on top of the mountain in open grasslands, the habitat of the blue swallow. There are footpaths and we have to walk, searching. Had I known this I would not have been inshort pants with the short invisible socks :-0 as my shins were taking a hammering from the grasses and twigs. We see many aardvark holes along the way, including on the footpaths and if you not careful you can easily fall into one 0*\ . The blue swallow uses these aardvark burrows to nest in O:V

As we walking I have a philosophical debate with myself. Here we are searching for a critically endangered bird and definitely causing some disturbance. This happens all the time in the Southern Summer. What impact does this have? Will it affect the birds returning the next time. I counter this by saying to myself that us humans are part of the systerm and not apart from it and have interacted with birds and animals for eons and as long as we do not destroy the habitat it should be okay -O-

Anyway, there is also game in the area and it is great to see animals while on foot

Springboks

Blessbok

The animals run off as soon as they see/hear you as shown by these blue wildebeest

The wildies flush out an grass owl - a lifer for us, but we cannot get a photo

Fan tailed widowbird

Purple crested turaco

Some cool vistas too

So we walk up hill and down vale, we cross a little brook and it is a joy being out here. We see swallows and martins but not the one we looking for. It is 2 hours later and we back at the point we started, deciding on what to do next.........

Duke

Post by Duke »

Thanks for all the comments \O

We back at the point where we started, next to where we parked off the car. Swallows are flying overhead

and Sharifa is looking at them through the binoculars. I am facing the other way as some Eland had caught my attention

Sharifa says, "Here they are, here is a pair". I turn around and try to focus on them, no time to change camera settings (could have done with some exposure compensation as it was cloudy)

O:V

Duke

Post by Duke »

Thanks All :-) \O

We got back to our chalet and had some visitors

The next morning we were up early and took a walk in camp

The river

We could hear many birds and saw a few too, the Narina Trogan could only be heard 0=

We returned to our chalet, and enjoyed breakfast, with the mist lifting off the cliff face

We on our way home and see a Long Crested Eagle outside the park

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Is that river the Umkomaas river :-?

I’m sure my uncle’s farm is on top of that cliff face :-?

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Just checked out "highover" and my uncle's farm is on top of that cliff face O/\

I have pics of the valley from the top of that cliff face. That Hella hella TT with me and some mates standing on a rock for a pic is from the top O:V

I will dig out pics from "highover" as I have been there before it became "highover"

I have been down that river on a tube =O: =O: =O: It's full of large barbel and scalies. The fishing is awesome O**

Return to “Travel Tales of Other KZN Parks”